Meat pop-ups?

fishplate42

Reaction score
For the past couple of years I have been using Bacon Grill as hook bait when using the method feeder. I used nice big punched pieces that I punch with a 12mm punch from slices that are about 12mm thick. They come out flowerpot shaped as the punch must drag as it goes through the chilled meat - It cuts much better straight from the fridge. I always prepare it at home the night before, put it in a bait box and put it back in the fridge.

I use it, hair rigged to a size 12 or 14 hook, on a short (3 or 4 inches) attached to an in-line method feeder. As the day goes on the sun 'cooks' the meat slightly and it becomes crispy and oily. It then seems to work much better. Until today I thought it was the oils making it more attractive and I assume they might well do so, but I was also told that the meat becomes buoyant in that state, which I was not aware of as I have only ever used it with a method feeder.

Now I am beginning to wonder if my hook bait is popping up making it easier for the fish to spot it.

What do you think?

Ralph.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have never heard that but whenever I have used meat previously during the summer and it has turned to the state you mention it hasn't floated when I have thrown any in at the end of the session, only way to tell if it popping up is to try some in the edge where you can see what is happening, if it is you might have stumbled on something that no other angler is using where you fish.

Does the make of meat have anything to do with it as I think the cheaper stuff has more fat in it?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have never heard that but whenever I have used meat previously during the summer and it has turned to the state you mention it hasn't floated when I have thrown any in at the end of the session, only way to tell if it popping up is to try some in the edge where you can see what is happening, if it is you might have stumbled on something that no other angler is using where you fish.

Does the make of meat have anything to do with it as I think the cheaper stuff has more fat in it?

It was a surprise to me, I have put some out in the garden to 'cook' for a few hours and I will see if it floats... I will let you know what happens this afternoon...

I have always used Plumbrose Bacon Grill, as that was the stuff the guy in my local tackle shop recommended. It is cheap at 99p a can (B&M Stores). I am not sure how anything else will react.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was a surprise to me, I have put some out in the garden to 'cook' for a few hours and I will see if it floats... I will let you know what happens this afternoon...

Ralph.

Keep it covered or they'll be nothing left once the birds have had their free meal.:)

Last season I was freelining meat on the river for chub, on most occasions the water was gin clear, not good for fishing but it it did allow me to watch the behaviour of baits, at no time was the meat "buoyant" whether old and leathery or fresh out of the tin (Plumrose).

With the tench I'm finding more bites from meat that has an irregular shape so the cubes get the corners torn off.

If you want a pop up piece of meat (I presume for carp) I'd reckon a fake piece of corn snowman style would do the job nicely and give you that "wafting" behaviour.

Wilko

Reaction score
I very much doubt it becomes buoyant, it's far too dense for that, remember for an object to float it must displace its own weight in water and for it to do that it needs to be very light in comparison to its size or needs to become much bigger (which is how a ship floats).

robtherake

Reaction score
Ah that's why I don't swim very well :)

That's a genuine thing, you know. Some individuals are too...ahem... dense to float, so all their energy's devoted to remaining on the surface, which is a tad detrimental to progress. I can sit on the floor of the swimming baths, find it quite impossible to tread water and am completely in awe of anyone who has the ability to float at will, which is just about everyone. BTW, does that mean that the majority of the population are guilty of witchcraft?;)

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
What do you think?

I think you should carry out extensive tests, buying every make of meat on the market. Leave in the sun for a measured amount of time and then conduct flotation tests. A 'short' article could then be written for your blog which we could all then marvel at and wonder how you get the time to actually go fishing :):)

Seriously, if anyone can figure this out it's you Ralph.

The bad one

Reaction score
Ears on Guys :D Many years ago than I care to remember, I worked for the Walls Meat Co. Walls made the full range of tinned products meat, bacon grill, ham, sausage meat, etc. As I could get my hands on it more or less for pennies I used great quantities back in the 70s for carping.

Bacon Grill (any make) because of the bacon meat in it was to dense to float and was great for staying on the hook (no hair rigs back then) because of the bacon bits in it, unlike luncheon meat.

Luncheon meat could float if you used the cheaper brands. One day I went in the staff shop and bought a dozen cans for baiting up a water on my way home from work. After cutting the caned meat into cubes in my break I bagged it for the baiting after work. I arrived at the water safe in the knowledge that I no one else could get their hands on as much meat as I could for baiting up. :)

However the best laid plans of mice and men didn't go to plan and as I handballed it in, the bloody lot floated :eek: Oh bollox, or words to that effect came from my gob. Boy did the guys who made the bloody stuff get it the next day off me for the fat they'd put in it. Of course they blamed it on the Southall factory and not our plant or them. :rolleyes:

The best meat for hooking was Tulip brand it stayed on the hook very well and was quite firm in texture. What we, my mate and me, found with meat, Tulip which sank well, was that if you fried it it would float. It worked very well fried as a floating bait in place of crust that most fish had wised up to on the waters we were fishing.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I think you should carry out extensive tests, buying every make of meat on the market. Leave in the sun for a measured amount of time and then conduct flotation tests. A 'short' article could then be written for your blog which we could all then marvel at and wonder how you get the time to actually go fishing :):)

Seriously, if anyone can figure this out it's you Ralph.

Very funny :cool:. I am not going to do another sweetcorn! I will try and compare Bacon Grill with Luncheon Meat and see if I can get either to float.

I do get time to fish, I was out last Wednesday, I hope to be out Monday and I will be out this Wednesday as well...

Ralph.

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

Ears on Guys :D Many years ago than I care to remember, I worked for the Walls Meat Co. Walls made the full range of tinned products meat, bacon grill, ham, sausage meat, etc. As I could get my hands on it more or less for pennies I used great quantities back in the 70s for carping.

Bacon Grill (any make) because of the bacon meat in it was to dense to float and was great for staying on the hook (no hair rigs back then) because of the bacon bits in it, unlike luncheon meat.

Luncheon meat could float if you used the cheaper brands. One day I went in the staff shop and bought a dozen cans for baiting up a water on my way home from work. After cutting the caned meat into cubes in my break I bagged it for the baiting after work. I arrived at the water safe in the knowledge that I no one else could get their hands on as much meat as I could for baiting up. :)

However the best laid plans of mice and men didn't go to plan and as I handballed it in, the bloody lot floated :eek: Oh bollox, or words to that effect came from my gob. Boy did the guys who made the bloody stuff get it the next day off me for the fat they'd put in it. Of course they blamed it on the Southall factory and not our plant or them. :rolleyes:

The best meat for hooking was Tulip brand it stayed on the hook very well and was quite firm in texture. What we, my mate and me, found with meat, Tulip which sank well, was that if you fried it it would float. It worked very well fried as a floating bait in place of crust that most fish had wised up to on the waters we were fishing.

My ears are on ;) Thanks for that, very interesting.

Ralph.

peterjg

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts:

If you want meat pop-ups use with a slither of pop-up foam or cork. The foam or cork should go on the hair last and sit on top of the meat. I prefer cork because it takes on water when cast in and slowly sinks which makes the bait look more natural.

Some cheap frankfurters float on their own because of the fat content.

PS. Slightly off subject, small cubes of luncheon meat which has been died black works well for big roach, dye it using Tescos black liquid food colouring.

PS. Don't leave meat in the sun too long, it will skin but it can soften too much. When too soft it can be made into a useable stiff paste with plain flour.

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
That's a genuine thing, you know. Some individuals are too...ahem... dense to float, so all their energy's devoted to remaining on the surface, which is a tad detrimental to progress. I can sit on the floor of the swimming baths, find it quite impossible to tread water and am completely in awe of anyone who has the ability to float at will, which is just about everyone. BTW, does that mean that the majority of the population are guilty of witchcraft?;)

Yep thats me bouyant as a lead brick always have been they say being slightly over wieght makes you float like hell it does on the bottom bang .

PG ...