Flasks

mikench

Reaction score
Since I resumed fishing I have bought two metal flasks in different sizes for hot and cold drinks. In the depths of winter whilst freezing my whatsits off I thought of hot soup but decided the necks of my flasks were too narrow and decided I would buy a more suitable one ready for winter.

Well on Friday I did! Sainsbury's had thermos flasks in two sizes for £6 and £10 respectively both with a wide neck and consequently a larger cup. I knew they were glass but thought I would be ok and that only the many many virtues of Binka would have been inherited:rolleyes:

I filled it with coffee yesterday morning put it in the car and set off. It must have moved in the car because as I opened the rear door and pulled out a tackle bag, the little monkey rolled gently of the seat and dropped in slow motion the 2feet or so to the floor. The glass interior shattered and my brand new flask was no more:( I didn't even get to use it:mad:

To blank as well is too much:wh

Last edited:
B

binka

That lasted about as long as anything glass lasts with me Mike :D

I gave up on glass lined flasks years ago I'm afraid, nothing against them in general but far too fragile imo.

Of course...

Every one I broke was down to some sort of manufacturing flaw :wh

mikench

Reaction score
I should have known my day was doomed and the broken flask was an omen!;)

It was a little beauty and perfect for my needs too! Winter preparation can wait!

Last edited:
B

binka

I've been in touch with Sellafield several times to ask if they've got an old nuclear flask kicking around, I reckon it would be ideal after a good rinse with some hot water and a squidge of Fairy.

They never seem to reply though... :)

mikench

Reaction score
Trouble is Steve they are lead lined and weigh more than all your other tackle put together!;)

B

binka

Trouble is Steve they are lead lined and weigh more than all your other tackle put together!;)

Wheel kit?

I'm thinking here of something along the lines of those upright trolleys you occasionally see pulling oxygen cylinders around hospitals :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years /I have bought and binned a good many different thermos flasks.

I finally have settled on the Stanley Stainless Steel Flask.

For soup and or stews this one is excellent, it is not cheap but then "quality" never is.

It will keep even a half filled flask piping hot for hours and it is strong and rugged.

Stanley 0.71lts Classic Vacuum Food Flask Green Wide Neck - Free Delivery UK Mainland

I also have the larger version of the norml sized flask and the little "hip" flask as well that I use for milk . . . . sometimes l)

mikench

Reaction score
Wheel kit?

I'm thinking here of something along the lines of those upright trolleys you occasionally see pulling oxygen cylinders around hospitals :D

Perfick Steve!:rolleyes: Shall we go to the same asylum preferably one with good fishing close by?:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Clumsy pair you and Binka(that after I fell and broke my wrist in March:)),I cannot find a SS flask that keeps my coffee hot for a day,so glass it is i'm afraid,Alladin are my favourite,but I don't know if they still manufacture glass flasks,I won't have to worry as i've got two new ones that haven't been used,plus my present one that i've been using at least 8-10 years,SS are fine if your session is around 6 hrs or so,but compared to my glass flask I can make up coffee at 5am and drink what's left at 7pm and it is still hot and I mean hot.

mikench

Reaction score
Having broken a glass flask before I even got to use it I couldn't bear a repeat so metal it shall be!;)

I also take cold drinks in summer and reckon I need a small cool bag! Does anyone have the ESP small bag as it has good reviews! Slightly off topic but it was my post!!!!

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Beware of using flasks for soup and coffee - on separate occasions (Not at the same time!:eek:mg:) - Chicken Soup flavour has a habit of 'clinging' to the flask which reappears when refilled with coffee in spite of cleaning!:eek:

Attempts to remove this persistent flavour - from my SS flask - have so far resisted hot washing, bottle brushes, boiling water flushes and even steradent! Any suggestions? :eek:

B

binka

Most of the insulated type of cool bags will be fine Mike but go slightly larger than what you need and you can stick a couple of ice packs in there too, it will keep your drinks colder for longer.

If you want to keep them cool for a longer time get a big enough bag and freeze down litre bottles of water, they take much longer to thaw and it's the cheapest way... Keep them in the centre of the bag with your drinks around the edge.

Don't be too keen to pay the fishing tax either, have a look on some of the camping supplies websites if you can't find what you want at the right price.

Reaction score
First put a strong dilute of orange squash in your flask after soaking with boiling water,leave for half an hour to an hour,then fill the flask with boiling water again and put about three spoonfuls of bicarbonate of soda,half a spoon at a time(otherwise it will bubble over),this should clean your flask spotless.;)

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Having broken a glass flask before I even got to use it I couldn't bear a repeat so metal it shall be!;)

I also take cold drinks in summer and reckon I need a small cool bag! Does anyone have the ESP small bag as it has good reviews! Slightly off topic but it was my post!!!!

Well on your head be it,imo there is nothing worse than tepid coffee in winter,especially when i'm drinking it for it's warming qualities.:wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Mike, just leave my cold drinks in my (Preston) bait bag as that is insulated anyway and I usually have a large freezer bottle in there so everything stays nice and cold.

On really warm days I have used my Stanley flask, the larger one, with whatever I fancy on the day and always put a few ice cubes in there too. Like the wider-mouth flask the larger one will keep drinks piping hot or ice cool all day long.

mikench

Reaction score
I already use a Thermos metal flask( gunmetal) and it keeps my french coffee acceptably hot for around 8 hours! I fully accept what you say about glass ones but I am just too clumsy/unlucky;)

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Mike, just leave my cold drinks in my (Preston) bait bag as that is insulated anyway and I usually have a large freezer bottle in there so everything stays nice and cold.

On really warm days I have used my Stanley flask, the larger one, with whatever I fancy on the day and always put a few ice cubes in there too. Like the wider-mouth flask the larger one will keep drinks piping hot or ice cool all day long.

I want a cool bag for bait( meat ,maggots etc) as well as drinks but not too large as I take too much kit already!!!:rolleyes:

Wilko

Reaction score
Attempts to remove this persistent flavour - from my SS flask - have so far resisted hot washing, bottle brushes, boiling water flushes and even steradent! Any suggestions? :eek:

Milton fluid should do it.

john step

Reaction score
I have banged on here about this before but I think it worth repeating.

1. GO OUTDOORS do their own SS flasks in various sizes which are good for keeping coffee hot for hours. A good price too and sometimes offers of 3 for 2.

2. These flasks are of the type that if cleaned out will not poison you.
Read on.......... When using SS flasks look for the type of stopper that allows the liquid to pour from beside the thread via a groove.

The type of stopper that has a spring button(as in cheap Tesco ones) are a hiding place for lurgies to breed. They cannot be cleaned properly and you will be drinking coffee through last sessions congealed gunk and RUST from the internal spring.

Next time you discard one of these types break open the stopper and check it out. Not nice in there.:eek:

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Clumsy pair you and Binka(that after I fell and broke my wrist in March:)),I cannot find a SS flask that keeps my coffee hot for a day,so glass it is i'm afraid,Alladin are my favourite,but I don't know if they still manufacture glass flasks,I won't have to worry as i've got two new ones that haven't been used,plus my present one that i've been using at least 8-10 years,SS are fine if your session is around 6 hrs or so,but compared to my glass flask I can make up coffee at 5am and drink what's left at 7pm and it is still hot and I mean hot.

The Stanley stainless steel flasks that Peter mentions are a cut above the cheapies and far better insulated. They're a bit heavier than the glass-lined equivalent, but almost totally idiot-proof. They also have a screw-out stopper which doesn't contain gadgetry that can accumulate nasties. Simple is best.:)

Last edited: