Food packaging suitable for anglers baits...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A little boring I know but it could save a few pennies on bait boxes :cool:.
On and off for over a year now my mrs has been buying yogurt from Lidles. The yogurt comes in small'sh containers which are just small plastic buckets with lids which seem to be airtight when the lids are put back in place.
Anyhow I religiously wash each one when it's empty and now have about twenty of the bloody things LOL. They are a really handy size and ideal for pellets, sweetcorn etc etc and even maggots if you don't keep the lid on for too long or puncture a few holes in it if keeping the maggots in it for a long period whilst traveling to a venue etc.
Unlike normal maggot boxes they even have handles on them so can be hung/clipped on a rucksack or between the handles on a shoulder bag or even carried in your hand, I think they're great!

Does anyone else use old food packaging as bait containers or am I the only one tight enough to be bothered :eek:mg: :D.

rich66

Reaction score
Not really human food packaging but one of my sons keeps lizards and the crickets he buys to feed them come in ventilated plastic boxes so I keep a few for worms/ maggots and lures etc.

greenie62

Reaction score
....Does anyone else use old food packaging as bait containers or am I the only one tight enough to be bothered ....

Not just you Tigger, - the large yoghurt buckets are handy for all sorts of baits - and even as small paint buckets when up a set of steps painting the top corner of the landing!:eek:

Takeaway containers are always handy too - the flat round ones - used for special fried rice, etc - are useful for mixing small batches of feeder filler - easy to refill the feeder - pop the lid on to stop it drying on a warm day or getting too wet on a rainy one!

thecrow

Reaction score
Sometimes use the take away boxes for bait and bits of tackle also used the bags that you are able to suck the air out of with a vacuum cleaner for taking home made baits to France/Netherlands not perfect but if kept in shade they help keep the bait fresh (ish) :) they are pretty cheap if you look around for them.

greenie62

Reaction score
Have you got a picture or a link?

I'm from Yorkshire and I like free and cheap things thanks.

I promise I'll take a piccy for you, Chris - next time the weather's fit enough to go out!
It's horrible here at the moment - even got flood warnings!:eek:

laguna

Reaction score
I promise I'll take a piccy for you, Chris - next time the weather's fit enough to go out!
It's horrible here at the moment - even got flood warnings!:eek:
Thanks. Its persisting it down here today but its not a fishing day so all's good. The first half is a work at home day until the other half arrives back home and spoils it... then its off to do some proper work for peace and quiet!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not just you Tigger, - the large yoghurt buckets are handy for all sorts of baits - and even as small paint buckets when up a set of steps painting the top corner of the landing!:eek:

Takeaway containers are always handy too - the flat round ones - used for special fried rice, etc - are useful for mixing small batches of feeder filler - easy to refill the feeder - pop the lid on to stop it drying on a warm day or getting too wet on a rainy one!

Funny you mention using the buckets for painting as my mrs does the same thing. She used them for staining the fence because it was easier to hold in her hand than the large containers that the stainer comes in.
This is the type of yogurt containers i'm talking about....

The yogurt we get is fruity stuff and on offer at only 99p a pot just now, it's nice too :).

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
I've been throwing those pots away for years. Never even thought of reusing them for fishing. DUH

robtherake

Reaction score
I salvage the big mayonnaise buckets from the alley behind the kebab shop. They make good pots for tomatoes and are just the right size for a big batch of particles or groundbait.

ken more

Reaction score
I salvage the big mayonnaise buckets from the alley behind the kebab shop. They make good pots for tomatoes and are just the right size for a big batch of particles or groundbait.

Hi Rob, do you ever eat the Kebabs from the take-away? I had a mooch around the back of some local ones near me in Leeds and have never had another one from them since:) Can be quite a scary place the back of take-aways, but the big buckets sound good. Do you get Mrs Rob to clean them:D:D:w

Keith M

Reaction score
I use the half litre size buckets that various stores sell mealworms in for storing my Pike dead baits and sea baits.

They're small plastic see-through buckets with handles and secure airtight lids.

Keith

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I have used the small buckets that I buy fish food for my pond fish, for pellets or worms.
Looks good when it has fish food written on the side ?

Philip

Reaction score
I think it was a small bucket that they sold ready mixed polyfilla in (the writings long worn off it)but its basically brilliant...best bait bucket i ever had...solid sturdy plastic, tight fitting quality lid, handle that hasnt broken off in almost a decade and right size too for a short session...sort of half way between yogurt pot and normal bucket.

I got another one too quite recently..that ones sort of oblong shaped with a lid thats connected with hinges, the size being literally perfect for a loaf of bread. It not as good quality as the polyfilla one but i was scarily happy when i found it as only an angler could be. I should take a photo of it as i recon you will.all be dead jealous.:D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
The local Chinese serve some dishes in plastic dishes with lids. I do find these quite useful for carrying bagged pellets that often spill at the first opportunity :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Hi Rob, do you ever eat the Kebabs from the take-away? I had a mooch around the back of some local ones near me in Leeds and have never had another one from them since:) Can be quite a scary place the back of take-aways, but the big buckets sound good. Do you get Mrs Rob to clean them:D:D:w

I've been almost teetotal for years, Ken, so the kebab urge is firmly suppressed by common sense. Wouldn't let the Mrs anywhere near my bait prep equipment, lest she demands that I deal with the possible health risk from ancient buckets of prepared particles. :D

rayner

Reaction score
If tubs or buckets have a secure lid then they are very good, though some are too thin. Food bags are useful too.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I went through a period of eating a lot of fruit. The plastic jars the fruit comes in is perfect for both many baits like pellets, boilies etc, they also are great for freezing soups and pasta sauces etc.

A0174335-C650-4520-8D3C-A6E4172A3B80_zpsklc8iyr3.jpg

ken more

Reaction score
Really like this stuff, people using Tubs, Pots, Containers of any description that you can use for fishing and, before you use it, you get to eat the contents first like yoghurt all included in the price. Buy a fishing brand name container and it is much more expensive, and no yoghurt or anything else:confused::):) Granted, may not look the part, but can do the job for a while i my opinion:)