What mini species would you most like to see at an impossible size?

B

binka

I've often pondered this one and I think gudgeon will be a popular one but just imagine what a 5lb Ruffe would look like?

Now that would be a proper hooligan!

Hypothetical question I know but, within reason, what small fish would you most like to see at a relatively huge size?

robtherake

Reaction score
A stickleback. Those spines might make them a mite difficult to tangle with on the bank, but imagine a 10lb male in fighting colours.:eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bullhead and minnow would be interesting. Bullhead might look a little like an angler fish and a minnow might look like a mullet?

Philip

Reaction score
When I was a kid and we used to catch minnows out of the river and they where really easy to catch I sometimes wondered what it would be like if I could shrink myself down to a tiny size and then catch the same minnows which would then be the size of massive salmon...getting them one a chuck..

Weird but there you go !

The bad one

Reaction score
Weaver barbel (Gudgeon) ounce for ounce fight twice as hard as barbel. a 15 lb fish would fight harder than a 40 carp in a river given its streamlining.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd be very happy if dace averaged about twenty ounces, ditto gudgeon, but from what little I've read about them, I regret that the Nase didn't make it over here before the channel cut us off from Europe. They pull a bit for their size, I'm told.

mikench

Reaction score
anything at any size is acceptable to me at the moment:)

The water i blanked on is supposed to have Gudgeon and Ruff but it is also supposed to have a certain fish beginning with T:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
Stickleback.
They have to be the most aggressive British species for their size. One of a couple of pound would be vicious, like a rabid dog.

B

binka

Stickleback.
They have to be the most aggressive British species for their size. One of a couple of pound would be vicious, like a rabid dog.

That reminds me very much of the ex and there was nine stone of her! :eek:

Or at least that's what she told me :wh

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Out of pure curiousity, I'd love to know what a 5lb stone loach would fight like.

That said, as others have pointed out, a 5lb gudgeon would be a real handful :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
As would a double figure bleak. They look like little tarpon anyway and I dare say the fight would be not dissimilar.

Would have to agree wholeheartedly with that. Could imagine Jeremy Wade now, "I've been hearing reports of River Wye giants carrying away dogs and small children....." :)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I wish somebody would carry Jeremy Wade off. I'm afraid he is another one on the long list of people who get right up my hooter.

Had a feeling he might be, probably why I mentioned it. I do have to agree though, he does tend to blow things out of proportion - and being paid ten years of big money to do it is just the icing on the cake.