On the outside looking in.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This was an expression an old friend used over the weekend to explain his feelings on fishing with me over the last forty years or so. His feeling was that ''he hoped to catch'', but always felt that I ''expected to catch''.

Initially I was a tad miffed by his observation, and countered by saying, ''yes, but you always fished with a negative attitude, and always seemed willing to call it a day particularly if the fishing happened to be hard going''. My philosophy being, no bait in the water, no catch.

In the end we agreed to differ, but later that night and into the early hours I pondered this very thing. Perhaps I was after all consumed by the task at hand, and was passionate and offer no apology for that. In the end settling for the conclusion that passion can take various forms.

So my question would be, do you ever find yourself in either camp, pessimist or optimist?

B

binka

I think if anything I'm usually too optimistic Derek, i'll drop a bait into a mucky puddle if I think there's a bite in it :)

I almost did just that early in January whilst on the river with a mate, he was dejected and a scenario pretty much like you and your mate and I went off through the woods and found a tiny pool which flooded when high water was on, I went back for the rod and some bait and returned to catch around thirty small fish and it felt like a great result.

Like many I suspect, I have my moments when I just don't think a bite will come but while ever there's a bait in the water there's always that chance it will and I quite enjoy ringing the changes in order to get one.

mikench

Reaction score
Great to see you posting again Derek! I vacilate between the two all the time but am generally happy if i do not blank. A very pretty water very close to home always tempts me but it is hard going. In 6 visits i have had 3 blanks, 2 roach on one occasion. one on another and a solitary carp on the other! Mind you that carp was around 24lb and my biggest fish by far.

By nature i am an optimist and thus regularly disappointed. Being a pessimist is much easier in life in general and nobody takes you to task if you are wrong!

I think on some waters i go more in hope than expectation and on others the reverse applies. There is always that last cast but that is the optimistic approach! Go catch some fish Derek they will be missing you:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’m the eternal optimist – but I don’t mind putting in the spade work.................

“Sometimes a pessimist is only an optimist with extra information.”
― Idries Shah, Reflections

sam vimes

Reaction score
In life as a whole I tend towards the pessimistic. However, fishing seems to buck that general trend. Whilst this may not make much sense, when fishing, I'm a pessimistic optimist. Perhaps that should be an optimist with a large dollop of realism. I rather suspect that most long term anglers have to have a streak of optimism running through them regardless of how pessimistic their general outlook. Merely going fishing is an act of optimism for most people. However, their nature may temper that optimism with a good dose of pessimism. After all, a pessimist is never disappointed. Many wear pessimism like a mask.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For many years my fishing tem was severely hampered by work and other things, so I was prepared to literally drop a bait into a deep puddle in the hops of catching.

As I got older (and single again) so my opportunities to fish increased dramatically to the point now where I plan a lot in advance so go to the venue full of optimism and confidence.

I will fish positively exploring many options and then if then it turns out to be poor day then I have no regrets and a blank still gives me something to learn from.

steve2

Reaction score
I go out hoping to catch because I don’t need to catch in order to have a good day. It improves the day if I do but it’s not disaster if I don’t.
I have seen others moaning and groaning about this that and the other when they don’t catch.
What’s the point, it’s a hobby not a matter of life or death.

rayner

Reaction score
I definitely have both feet in the optimistic camp, every time I venture out I expect to catch.
That doesn't always equate but if things get too tricky and fish are not in the mood I know next time will be different. Fortunately for me a fish is a fish.
If small fish are all that feed at the time that does me just fine.
OK I enjoy catching, a blank is just a pre cursor to catching.
There's always next time.

thecrow

Reaction score
I find myself in both camps at different times even within the same session I get a feeling that things "just aint right" and although I carry on and fish through the feeling rarely has the feeling proved to be wrong, whether that is because I didn't fish well because of the pessimistic feeling I don't know, at other times I know things are likely to work out for me experience? I have no idea but its at these times when I am most optimistic.

As others have said all anglers must be optimists or they wouldn't carry on fishing after a poor day or a series of poor days and we all go through that sometime.

I read somewhere an angler saying "if ever I pack up without thinking about the next time I will fish I will pack it all in" always an optimist?

nottskev

Reaction score
There's a lot being said here I can relate to. My fishing friend likes to say "It's all about confidence", and gets irritated when I habitually draw attention to the negatives - these pegs don't usually produce/ went a bit cold last night/ not sure they'll feed in this bright sun etc etc. That usually gets me a sarcastic "Positive mental attitude!". That said, he'd have to admit I often end a poor day by catching well, or find a method that at least works. So the "negativity" doesn't seem to be a hindrance. And I don't see what's wrong in acknowledging what odds are stacked against you but still working your socks off to get a result. But I also admit this outlook is a stressful nuisance at times; if I set off in the dark I'll still manage to convince myself the pegs I want will probably be taken, until I find, of course, they aren't. I'm not sure, now I'm writing it down, that Optimism/Pessimism are the right terms. It feels more like a neurotic/ whatever the opposite is kind of thing. Some people have a calmer mental approach to their fishing than me.

Reaction score
As has been said,I find myself in both corners,I usually leave in the morning positive,depending on events that can change,but always leads to options for the next session,on the other hand my barbel fishing has become harder and harder,with fish becoming extremely hard to come by,which hurts as I love catching them,these days the amount of sessions I do for them have drastically reduced(locally),else i'd get depressed,These days I could possibly blank the entire season,the crash in populations have made it more important to fish at night,which i'm afraid I can't be asked,something that a lot of my friends can't believe.:w

terry m

Reaction score
In life I am generally optimistic, whilst retaining a degree of pragmatism. Hopefully that is not too much of a contradiction in terms.

Fishing almost always starts off positively, I have to believe that whatever the objective is possible. However, especially on long sessions it can become obvious that whatever my approach is, it is not working. So rather than flog a dead horse I will change tactics, method, swim, whatever, or if it is particularly grim, and the weather is bad also I may call it a day. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

I would struggle to enjoy fishing, if I was burdened by pessimism.

iain t

Reaction score
I go out hoping to catch because I don’t need to catch in order to have a good day. It improves the day if I do but it’s not a disaster if I don’t.
I have seen others moaning and groaning about this that and the other when they don’t catch.
What’s the point, it’s a hobby not a matter of life or death.

steve2 sums it up for me too

benny samways

Reaction score
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.”
― John Buchan

A perpetual series of occasions for hope! That sums me up. I am only down on myself when I blank if it was my fault; sloppy strikes, loosing a fish through stupidity etc

My pate hate is when fisher folk blame the river or the lake or the weather for not catching- normally accompanied with 'this is sh1t....'.

No, it isnt sh1t, you are!

ATB

thecrow

Reaction score
During a pessimistic period in a session it doesn't take much to get the optimistic mood back, a change in shotting depth hook length thickness hook size etc all these little changes can bring renewed hope and sometimes even a fish or two :)

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I'm neither a pessimist or an optimist when it comes to fishing (and many other facets of life). For the most part I genuinely couldn't care less if I catch or not. That's not to say that I don't enjoy catching - I do. In fact I love it. But I honestly don't go fishing just to catch fish. I'm perfectly happy sitting on the bank fiddling with my gear (ooer missus) and enjoying the peace and quiet and the splendour of being by the water.

If I blank (which I do, just like everyone else who goes fishing) I just consider it a chance to 'have a pleasant sit down' for the best part of a day - without the distractions of TV, phones, books or whatever else. Sitting and staring at water is enough for me. Catching fish is a bonus.

mikench

Reaction score
I couldn't have expressed it better! Fishing is the whole experience, outdoor life, nice countryside(usually), wildlife, being in the now(mindfulness), concentrating on setting up and tactics, a bit of banter, a nice flask of good coffee, and if one is lucky a fish or two!:rolleyes:

..........and there is always another day! The whole nine yards is very therapeutic !

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It very much depends on how far i have driven to get to my chosen venue if only local then if i fail to catch bummer but yea whatever .
On the other hand if i have driven a few miles and put time and fuel into the equation then not catching is not an acceptable outcome even a tidler will do but must catch :wh and althou fishing is as much about enjoying the time as catching i do like to catch .

PG ...

bracket

Reaction score
I tend to be a realist. I am conversant with most angling methods and have access to good venues, so all the ingredients are there for success. However having all the ingredients does not guarantee the that on any one day I get the mixture right. That is down to all the myriad of circumstances that can influence my rate of success and thank the Gods for that because that is what makes angling such a joy. For me it is not a question of being optimistic or pessimistic, the real satisfaction of fishing is the doing of it. Pete.

john step

Reaction score
About 30 plus years ago I started to get very down,pessimistic I suppose.
My entire fishing life had become arranged around club and inter club matches.

Up to that point in the South we fished rovers. That changed to pegs. I found I was wasting a days fishing having spent good money on bait and petrol fishing at a spot I would never have chosen for myself in a hundred years.

I started to blank regularly and became disheartened and gave up matches.

I then started to catch more fish and enjoy it once again.
I am now an optimist.:D