Almost a tragedy

flightliner

Reaction score
For a day or two I,ve been trying to contact a seventy plus year old friend of mine with no success.
Then, out of the blue this afternoon he sent me a text saying that he had been doing an overnighter for carp , he had climbed a tree to see if any were visible using more height when he fell out of the tree breaking his ----------- ----------- , he was helpless for ages as anyone these days would be. He'ok now but it was touch and go at the time.
What was broken ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Anyone who is soppy enough to climb trees at night looking for carp surely wouldn't have the intelligence to use two 11 letter words in succession to explain what happened?

B

binka

Amazing that he got off so lightly considering his age, I would have gone for leg, neck, arm or something similar.

If it had been me of course I would have landed on and flattened my chair! :eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
Problem is we age don't like to admit our age and how it limits us. I am not 70 until end of next year but probably like your friend the number 70 doesn't seem to relate to how I view myself. I was always a young man. It creeps up until reality kicks in.

I like to keep fit by cycling walking etc and until last year I would camp in the lakes and do a couple of the high climbs.
It brought me up short to have to keep stopping for a rest going up Scaffel Pike.

Years ago I could have fell run up it. S*d it. I will have to do more fishing this year instead!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was he hung up by his scrotum LOL.

Narrh, it was his glasses wunt'it :).

flightliner

Reaction score
To be honest I just thought how nice it was that a guy of that age could climb a tree to look for a few carp , an age when so many folk ar'nt fortunate to be able too.
Fishing seems to be able to bring out the adventurous side in folk whatever their age, long may it continue!.
Shame about his mobile but it could have been so much worse!.

chrissh

Reaction score
Being a Gemini (twins) one of the twins my brain tells me I can do it …. The other twin my body says you can’t!!!
The trouble is the first twin is the stronger of the two but the second is always right

Reaction score
I'm sorry Mick,but at seventy,serious caution needs to be exercised,to easy to break bones....;)

flightliner

Reaction score
I'm sorry Mick,but at seventy,serious caution needs to be exercised,to easy to break bones....;)
Very true Alan but fishing with him thro the summer months I,ve learnt only to well he's well protected by a pair of golden balls! :rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest I just thought how nice it was that a guy of that age could climb a tree to look for a few carp , an age when so many folk ar'nt fortunate to be able too.
Fishing seems to be able to bring out the adventurous side in folk whatever their age, long may it continue!.
Shame about his mobile but it could have been so much worse!.

. . .and where did he get that idea from eh?

That Chris Yates has a lot to answer for . . . . . P4A scene where he is up that tree . . . .

True story . . .

The national tv company in Norway, NRK, showed the P4A series on the tv many years ago when I lived there.

After that episode with Chris up the tree it sparked a whole slew of locals climbing trees, fish spotting . . . unfortunately, at that time there were no king carp in Norway . . . .

:)

flightliner

Reaction score
When I had my carp hat on Peter I oft frequented a three gravel pit complex near Newark.
One enterprising carp angler circumvented the effort of climbind a tree by using his bosses extending ladders---- and he made it pay dividends too.

B

binka

I hadnt realised you provided wildlife safaris Steve; how do I book?;)

Joking apart Mike I took this a couple of years ago on a fairly isolated stretch of the Trent, it was a blazing hot day and there was a mass migration of snakes taking place...

The river is around eighty yards wide at this point, I think the snakes had taken advantage of the temperature to reach the other side... For what reason I don't know.

I never saw what was causing it but during the course of a few hours three or four snakes were hit on the surface by pike or zander, they went with one hell of a bang too.