Luncheon meat

swizzle

Reaction score
To save hijacking Ralphs thread, I have struggled keeping Luncheon meat on a hook or a hair for a few season now. I struggle with both the hair and the hook, can anyone provide me with a few tips?

B

binka

I struggle with both the hair and the hook, can anyone provide me with a few tips?

I'm really struggling to think what the difference might be?

I use Korda hooks which are quite a thick metal compared to some, I don't know if that has anything to do with it in that it will need a greater force to rip the hook back through the meat and I just push it in until the bend comes out the other side, pull until the point is clear enough to twist and then just push it back in again until the bend is level with the meat.

I have on occasions used tiny bits of bankside twig or a cut down piece of matchstick tucked under the bend and pressed into the meat but it's rare that I feel the need.

rich66

Reaction score
Could it be the brand your using ? I usually find the cheaper ones are better. On the odd occasion I use a hair rig I just use a blade of grass as the stop

chrissh

Reaction score
I use a piece of plastic straw that you get with the small cartons of juice … cut them to the size of your meat cube then pass the hair rig through the straw its stops the line cutting the meat

Or I use enterprise meat stops

using-ET29-meatmate.jpg

View image in gallery

Keith M

Reaction score
I do use normal luncheonmeat together with tubing and meat stops occasionally; however more often than not I use the spicy and palomy flavoured luncheonmeats that they sell in tackleshops for a couple of quid. I can hear the Yorkshire and Scottish members amongst you saying "I'm not spending that much on luncheonmeat!!! :)

But the barbel love it and it is firm enough to stay on the hair without having to use special meat stops and tubing even on long casts and the flavours are evenly spread throughout the meat and not just on the surface :)

Plus the wife usually pays my bait bill so the cost isn't really that relevant for me :)

Keith

Last edited:

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm really struggling to think what the difference might be?

I use Korda hooks which are quite a thick metal compared to some, I don't know if that has anything to do with it in that it will need a greater force to rip the hook back through the meat and I just push it in until the bend comes out the other side, pull until the point is clear enough to twist and then just push it back in again until the bend is level with the meat.

I have on occasions used tiny bits of bankside twig or a cut down piece of matchstick tucked under the bend and pressed into the meat but it's rare that I feel the need.

What size hooks do you use binka? I have tried direct on the hook using a size 8 Drennan hook. Perhaps it's too fine.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I use a piece of plastic straw that you get with the small cartons of juice … cut them to the size of your meat cube then pass the hair rig through the straw its stops the line cutting the meat

Or I use enterprise meat stops

I have seen this on a YouTube Chris, I thought it was a little bit crude, but if it works, I'm willing to give it a try. What do you use as a hair stop?

B

binka

What size hooks do you use binka? I have tried direct on the hook using a size 8 Drennan hook. Perhaps it's too fine.

It varies a bit and the Korda seem to be a size bigger (size for size) but usually an 8 or a 6 so probably a 6 or a 4 in the Drennan?

swizzle

Reaction score
It varies a bit and the Korda seem to be a size bigger (size for size) but usually an 8 or a 6 so probably a 6 or a 4 in the Drennan?

I do have some Korda hooks and comparatively, they are a much heavier gauge than anything I have seen Drennan produce. I think you are right in saying the thicker hook material helps by being too wide to slice the meat like the hooks I have been using, perhaps the same could be said for paste baits, which I have also struggled with in the past. Out of interest, what pattern do you use?

Thanks

B

binka

I do have some Korda hooks and comparatively, they are a much heavier gauge than anything I have seen Drennan produce. I think you are right in saying the thicker hook material helps by being too wide to slice the meat like the hooks I have been using, perhaps the same could be said for paste baits, which I have also struggled with in the past. Out of interest, what pattern do you use?

Thanks

I'd have to check the pattern but I'm sure they are a wide gape which might also have something to do with it, i'll have a look when I go in the garage tomorrow and let you know :thumbs:

Edit: Sorry, I meant later today

chrissh

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

I have seen this on a YouTube Chris, I thought it was a little bit crude, but if it works, I'm willing to give it a try. What do you use as a hair stop?

If I’m using a straw just a quick stop… or the enterprise kit … one I have found that does not cut into meat like the plastic stops is the humble spaghetti (brake it in 6mm length) it hard when put though the hair then when it softens in the water it won’t cut in to the meat… keep 5-6 stands in your tackle box

swizzle

Reaction score
I'd have to check the pattern but I'm sure they are a wide gape which might also have something to do with it, i'll have a look when I go in the garage tomorrow and let you know :thumbs:

Edit: Sorry, I meant later today

Great thanks Binka.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

If I’m using a straw just a quick stop… or the enterprise kit … one I have found that does not cut into meat like the plastic stops is the humble spaghetti (brake it in 6mm length) it hard when put though the hair then when it softens in the water it won’t cut in to the meat… keep 5-6 stands in your tackle box

Great tip, I would never have thought of that! Thanks, what is a quickstop?

chrissh

Reaction score
Great thanks Binka.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Great tip, I would never have thought of that! Thanks, what is a quickstop?

guru.korum, preston all do a quick stop

Get your wife to buy some 5mm sequins when she out shopping there about £1. For a 1000 use them on top of the meat to stop the hair stop pulling though the meat

Reaction score
I'm struggling to get this,are you trying to cast longish distances,are you on the lead or float,as I rarely get a problem,in summer the bait can be soft,but if i'm float fishing I mount it directly on the hook,going a bit like burying into a caster,pulling the hook out,twisting it and pulling it back into a fresh area,don't try to force the cast.If i'm using it on commercials in 6-10mm cubes I always cube it,then put the meat in a bait box full of water,that way it holds some integrity,in winter when fishing for barbel in coloured rivers the meat hardens because of the fat content and a big cube 1.5in hair rigged stays on the hair for ages,it actually is so hard that I wouldn't put it directly onto the hook as it is hard to strike through it to hook a fish,sometimes threads are difficult to visualise for no other reason that we're not actually seeing the issues first hand....:)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Fox also produce a meat stop that would appear idiot proof (Binka is employed for damage testing whereas I.....)

Anyway, it's simple to use and, to be honest, the only time the meat comes off is if the take is of sufficient violence!! :)

mikench

Reaction score
Blimey what a difference! I think some shoe and trainer manufacturers are equally inaccurate in the sizing!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By using shrink tube when tying your hook you increase its grip within meat too.

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm struggling to get this,are you trying to cast longish distances,are you on the lead or float,as I rarely get a problem,in summer the bait can be soft,but if i'm float fishing I mount it directly on the hook,going a bit like burying into a caster,pulling the hook out,twisting it and pulling it back into a fresh area,don't try to force the cast.If i'm using it on commercials in 6-10mm cubes I always cube it,then put the meat in a bait box full of water,that way it holds some integrity,in winter when fishing for barbel in coloured rivers the meat hardens because of the fat content and a big cube 1.5in hair rigged stays on the hair for ages,it actually is so hard that I wouldn't put it directly onto the hook as it is hard to strike through it to hook a fish,sometimes threads are difficult to visualise for no other reason that we're not actually seeing the issues first hand....:)

I can keep it on okay on a still water when fishing the waggler, the problem arises more often on rivers. I hardly ever cast to the horizon and not with any great force. I do wonder sometimes whether it drops off on the retrieve when mounted directly on the hook. Its the hair that is more frustrating, I normally just flick it out underarm quite gently and the meat still pings off, when it does stay on, it is gone when I reel it in. Could the flow of the water be enough to force it off the hair?

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 ----------

They're the wide gape barbless...

Check out the gauge of the wire compared to the Drennan Specimen, these are both stated as being a size 6...

What a difference. How can the sizing very so much. I am going to give the Korda hooks a go I think. Now I have seen the comparison size wise, I am convinced that it is the slim Drennan hooks that are causing me mischief. It's no wonder the trundling boys use size 2 chunky hooks.

rayner

Reaction score
I do use normal luncheonmeat together with tubing and meat stops occasionally; however more often than not I use the spicy and palomy flavoured luncheonmeats that they sell in tackleshops for a couple of quid. I can hear the Yorkshire and Scottish members amongst you saying "I'm not spending that much on luncheonmeat!!! :)

But the barbel love it and it is firm enough to stay on the hair without having to use special meat stops and tubing even on long casts and the flavours are evenly spread throughout the meat and not just on the surface :)

Plus the wife usually pays my bait bill so the cost isn't really that relevant for me :)

Keith

Ha Ha you are a card Keith. I am the typical tight fisted Yorkshire man, it's been ingrained in me over years, wasting money goes totally against the grain.

That being said when it comes to my fishing my wallet has no limits. I don't buy the cheap pound land meats that some buy.
All my tinned baits come from the tackle shops, favourite at the moment is Bait Tech for all my tinned meats. I like the poloni the juice that surrounds the meat, it goes on my pellets.
Dynamite Baits also make good meat products.
I consider it far better than Human grade luncheon meat, I wouldn't feed Human luncheon meat to next doors dog. I can't believe that some folk even eat the stuff.