last sunday

maurice walsh

Reaction score
got to try out the new seatbox last sunday:rolleyes::eek:mg: having not owned a "proper" box before i have a lot of tinkering n fettle'n to do to get my set up right , but, im impressed with it and once i get my set up right im sure it will be a asset to my fishing.... a short story of a 5hr session.... landed at the lake(not fished this lake for at least 25yrs) about 8am, unloaded the car on to the platform( ill try and load pics of the lake/platform/setup later) and started to set up, box all ready loaded at home with the usual bits n bobs, feeders/floats/weights etc etc, put on the tray, feeder arm, waiter etc, set up rods,(1feeder, 1 float, 1 pike rod) mixed GB , maggots and corn in waiter, time to start!!!, true to form forgot the keepnet and the bowl attachment thingy:rolleyes:anyway !!!.. sat on the box n everything was in the wrong place:eek:mg: so started again, better this time? nope, try again, useable but not perfect but ill sort that next day out, 1th cast 09,45am, feeder out !!! picked up the float rod(the new 13/15',story for another tread) for a waggle as not expecting much on the feeder for the first 30min, as you do!!!, 6 golfballs of GB with a handfull of maggots in, plumbed up ,16 hook, double red, on dept, 2 rod lengths out, float hardly settles n its gone, 6in roach:D dispatched under a slider pike bung n cast to the lillies on my left 09,50am........... do you really want to hear my ramblings on the rest of the session?

maurice walsh

Reaction score
09,50am... a few more roach??? on the float, 3 n 4 inches long but fat and high backed with a golden colouring, im of the mind that their roach/rudd hybrids !!! 10,10am line pealing off the pike rod, YAY!!!!, i tighten down n lean in until i feel a tug, then give an easy strike, right away i know its not a big fish but it was spirited , taking flight a couple of times before i land it, 3lb ish, quickly unhooked , and returned just as the tip goes round, quick strike n 10oz ish roach quickly returned to the water n cast out again, another few golfballs n i pick the float rod up again , another few small silvery roach come to me n then ,10,30am the tip rattles n a roach about 6in long rocks up and is mounted on the pike line, cast to the lillies again but about 6/8 foot out in slightly deeper water(about 8 foot deep n im fishing at about 6)about an hr passes with the tip n float quite busy(15/20 fish)nothing of any size, 11,45am, then i see the bobbing pike float sail away n vanish, same as before, tighten down, tug , lean in, strike!!!! better fish this time, short n sweet fight n 8ish lb comes to the platform, unhooked and returned quickly, back to the tip n float, another few small fish to both n the gray sky n still air has started to get very dark in the distance n blow a bit, thunder storms forcast so i start to pack up, gear back in the car just as the heavens open , all in all a good day, found my failings in my box set up, continued my trend of leaving/forgetting stuff at home, but a good little session, pike aside i would think no more than 6/7lb of fish

nottskev

Reaction score
Good to hear from you Maurice. Like the stream of consciousness fishing reports. Been in your area several times in the 90's. Apart from the river and Derg, fished Kilgory and Roslara lakes, and another one ... Doon Lake?? following Hugh Gough's book. I envy you the space and beauty; when I used to come back here all the fisheries felt cramped and overfished by comparison.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
Good to hear from you Maurice. Like the stream of consciousness fishing reports. Been in your area several times in the 90's. Apart from the river and Derg, fished Kilgory and Roslara lakes, and another one ... Doon Lake?? following Hugh Gough's book. I envy you the space and beauty; when I used to come back here all the fisheries felt cramped and overfished by comparison.

hi again kev, yup , doon it is:D if you google maps kilgory lake and zoom out a click or 2 you will see lough bridget(silvergrove)to the right of kilgory, between kilgory n bridget lakes, there are 2 smaller nameless lakes either side of a road(R467) , i was fishing the one nearest kilgory( left side of the road), for them people that are interested the whole area is known as "east clare lakelands" and is an anglers dream, there are 150 plus lakes and some rivers in an area about 60x40 km, plus the derg n the shannon, worth a look for a laugh:D

rayner

Reaction score
Get your box out side at home and get everything set where you need it.
I've tried fishing from a chair and just can't get comfortable, I'm lost without my seat box.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
thats the plan rayner, the biggest problem was if i put anything on my right as i sit on the box the add on's(gb bowl, bait waiter, umbrella arm) blocked or hindered me opening the drawers, but ill solve that easily, just have to rearrange bits n bobs to suit, im of the mind that the box will aid my fishing but will take a bit of getting used to, i think its very much more suited to the pole than a tip n float rod at the same time:D but im sure ill make that work too:D