Berkley Fireline smoke

jon atkinson

Reaction score
This cropped up in an Email this morning & piqued my interest. Not cheap, but if it ticks all the boxes that they claim it's probably worth a closer look. I'm not sure how 'new' it is, but has anyone actually tried it yet?

greenie62

Reaction score
This cropped up in an Email this morning & piqued my interest. Not cheap, but if it ticks all the boxes that they claim it's probably worth a closer look. I'm not sure how 'new' it is, but has anyone actually tried it yet?

Hi Jon,
I think this is the stuff that used to be marketed as "Spider-wire" - about 10-15 years ago - allegedly a 'carbon-fibre' based braid - very fine floppy/stiff line - mainly aimed at sea-angling. The finest they made at the time was c.12lb b/s about same diam as 4lb mono - would take your fingers off if you snagged-up and got your pinkies in the way!

kenpm

Reaction score
Fireline is certainly not "new" as its been on the market for many years a newer version is sold as Fireline crystal which is white to look at as opposed to the smoke version which is greyish.
It is a fused braid as opposed to a woven or braided braid and is not as thin as some like Daiwa J braid for example but a little more durable than most.
As with all braids it does not like knots and tends to float,when you first use it you will think it is stiff but after a bit of use it softens and a lot of the smoke grey colour comes off but does not weaken the line,generally used for ledgering or some lure fishing or spodding and in heavier strains for sea fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
After seeing the comments thus far the line looks very expensive for what it is! I will stick with sensor:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I like braid for trotting, despite it being difficult to get in lighter breaking strains and the horrible noise it makes through rod rings. Fireline was the very first braid I ever used and, despite many folks I know swearing by it, I can't stand it.