New fishing car.

dicky123

Reaction score
Being retired like many I have to watch the pennies. So two years ago I sold the big 4X4 and brought a nice little Fiat 500.

No don't laugh, providing you don't mind driving a jet propelled armchair, it was a surprisingly decent fishing car, and had enough room for me and all my gear.

Main problem was being small it got dirty quickly inside, with the gear sticking over the front seats, and Daisy the fishing dog in the front. So a few weeks ago I started to look for something a big bigger with good fuel consumption.

I ended up with a year old Citroen Picasso blue C3 Platinum. Rubbish trade in on the Fiat, lost 50%, but a good deal on the Citroen.

It really is a great car for fishing. I'm getting close to 58mpg around town, so on a run it should work out well on a fishing trip.

Worth a look if your after a cheap car thats good for fishing gear guys.

john step

Reaction score
I had the same thing. Sold the 4x4 and got a Skoda hatchback. It has the back seats permanently down to form a van like vehicle.
Holds loads of tackle and very economical.

My only regret is that I have to watch where I go having previously got used to the 4x4 going anywhere.

Today was an example. I had a day out visiting various sections of the Tidal Trent I haven't been to for a year or three.
The rough tracks have got more pot holed and I find I will be more limited in possible venues this river season.

It seems to be a trade off twixt economy and access unfortunately.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a Mini Countryman All4 as a fishing car and it holds all my gear and is fun to drive! I leave all the gear bar rods in it all the time!

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have an X3 on a 13 plate - boot is as big as a Focus estate,fold the rear seats down - massive and over 44mpg with the added bonus that it is like driving a big leather armchair about.

B

binka

I remember the little Fiat Richard, loaded up with the tackle :)

I'm happy enough with the Auris in terms of space and comfort, I've covered 30k miles now and averaged 59.8mpg over that period which I reckon is pretty good and I've not had a peep out of it in terms of anything to complain about.

The 3 series BMW was by far the worst fishing car I've ever had, being a coupe meant that it was always restricted on height when the rear seats were folded down and being a rear wheel drive it was little less than a joke on a muddy track in winter :eek:mg:

nottskev

Reaction score
I stopped work last June so the big petrol guzzling 4x4 had to go. But I was reluctant to give up the four wheel drive entirely; the river fisheries I prefer often have steep muddy access or parking on grass, and I also need to minimise the distance I cart the gear. After a lot of comparison I bought a Skoda Yeti in 2l diesel 4x4 form, and it's proved very good for fishing. Where I used to get 220 miles for a £50 fill-up with the Kia, the Yeti regularly returns 420, a big difference to how often I need to buy fuel . Now that diesel car drivers have been identified as public health enemy number one, it's possible I'll be paying for it in other ways.

B

binka

I hung my nose over the Yeti, it's a nice motor imo.

My sister had one and she was forever ferrying large gas cylinders and all manner of other things, including a dog, to her narrowboat and it coped admirably.

She's now swapped to a new Mazda 4x4 and wishes she hadn't.

rich66

Reaction score
I have just bought a Mini Cooper, I took a tape measure with me to measure the room in the back so I knew I could get my rod bag in. Petrol does 38-39 to the gallon with my lead foot

mikench

Reaction score
I know that routine. When I went for a test drive I took a couple of rods with me and had some funny looks . S** the great spec and performance, if my rods won't fit it is no use to me! That was my mantra!;)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I recently treated myself to a car, budget was 6k and had to be a proper fishing car as I oftern give people a lift when fishing. Mulled over 4x4 but I running costs put me off. Eventually settled on a Volvo v70 estate..,got to say best fishing car I've ever had for room when the seats are down and no rods poking into the front.

steve2

Reaction score
My Ford Focus diesel does me, nearly 60 to the gallon and saving the planet by not destroying the ozone layer unlike petrol cars.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have never read such tosh - you have all got it wrong! I have two cars, one for just fishing and another for other stuff. My fishing car is an 18 year old Nissan Almera, I have not changed the oil or oil filter in the last 10 years, I wash it once a year prior to the MOT and when it looks a bit scruffy I just wash the hub caps and then it looks like new! However; I can't understand why my wife refuses to go in it!

smudger172

Reaction score
Like peterjg i also have two cars. A Saab diesel estate that i big enough for three people and tackle and a 3.2 Boxter for when i have the need for speed. its rubbish for fishing tho...........

Philip

Reaction score
An excellent little fishing/second car are the Peugeots 106 & 206s that are used for deliveries. They have just 2 seats so basically it’s a Van but looks like a normal car.

The advantage is that you can hide everything in the “boot” which is basically most of the car and the parcel shelf which extends right up to the front seats covers it all so from the outside it just looks like a normal 106 or 206. Even if you look through the window you can’t see anything and would not know there was a ton of tackle in there. Its ideal as a second day to day run around car for nipping to the shops but you can leave a mountain of tackle in it all the time as well.

Unfortunately its JUST too short in the boot to fit 2 piece 12 foot rods without something poking out be seen (I call it a design flaw :D) … but an 11 foot JW Avon quiver fits and you would not know it was in there. At a push with the passenger seat pushed forward you can even get a bed chair in there (open to sleep on) believe it or not.

The other “disadvantage” is that as they are meant to be a commercial delivery vehicle they are basically only available in white but you can’t have everything.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been using shanks pony when possible and getting 5 miles an egg, so half a dozen eggs and a pack of bacon gets me where I want to go ! :cool:
Although after a recent accident shanks pony has been off the road for a spell but convalescence is doing the trick and things are starting moving again so i'm gonn'a have to stock up on bacon and eggs for future trips ;) :D.

terry m

Reaction score
After years of Audi Company cars, I opted out of the scheme and bought myself a new Merc C Class estate. Absolutely love it.

Mid 50s mpg, smart for work, but big enough to get my full night fishing gear in with space to spare.