Paste

associatedmatt

Reaction score
im thinking to have a go at the pellet route for chub along with bread as well but as il be using fishmeal pellets i wouldn't mind to make a paste from groundbait and bind with eggs or pondbond my question is , how soft and tacky should the paste be ?

Is there a good way to know when its spot on ?

cheers

chrissh

Reaction score
Paste need to be like a putty consistence if it too thin it won’t stay wrapped around a pellet or paste cage and dissolve quickly, to dry and it won’t bond. If it dries out just give it a spray of water

If you look on google you will find all your answers there paste recipes and how to mix & flavour

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
im thinking to have a go at the pellet route for chub along with bread as well but as il be using fishmeal pellets i wouldn't mind to make a paste from groundbait and bind with eggs or pondbond my question is , how soft and tacky should the paste be ?

Is there a good way to know when its spot on ?

cheers
Matt, Its hard to state the exact ratios to use as it depends on the powders you will use, some being more absorbent than others. Also worth bearing in mind, If you have some pieces of particles in there it will take longer for the liquid to soak and your paste will break up more quickly.

I've never had much success with paste made with eggs or water so unable to advise.
PONDBOND is a water soluble glue and binder that makes a longer lasting paste. You can make up a big batch at home in advance without it going mouldy too.
Mix 200g PONDBOND (soft) or 180g (firm) with around 200+g ground bait/flours etc and put it in an air tight bag allowing time to soak up the liquid. I would make it soft for the hook like playdough if trotting, and stiff for wrapping around a pellet as well as plugging up the ends of a feeder. You can always add a bit more powder or liquid afterwards if you're not happy with it. :thumbs:

Good luck

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know it's hard to say amounts etc , yes like playdoh sounds great but when you pinch it would it be slightly moist and leave a bit of residue on hands I assume so not that dry it cracks ?

I would be wrapping around a pellet , are the ready made pastes any good ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Imo wrapping paste around pellet is an autumn,with a little water on method,pellet alone being more effective,but others on FM will have different views no doubt.;)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never tried paste except some cheese paste I made but with cheese and pastry .

Or may even use directly on the hook . Depends how feel at the time .

Il have a go making some and see how get on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
When I make halibut pellet paste (by pouring boiling water over 4mm hard pellets) and it invariably starts off being too wet, I find that adding dry ground pellets a bit at a time and kneading them in works well.

Once the paste is nice and rubbery, without any sticking to the fingers, it's ideal for wrapping around hair-rigged boilies or larger hard pellets.

Reaction score
What do you reckon the melt time is David?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
that would be interesting to make .

krill i imagine be a good flavor for a paste

Reaction score
I don't know if I put that over correctly,the melt time of the paste I meant,I take it your reply meant the pellet.:)

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Ah I see - hard to say, as I'm usually using paste-wrapped boilies on the river for barbel and chub. Depending on the amount of water coming down and/or nibbling by small fry, I've had paste still sticking to the bait when I've retrieved it for a re-cast after about 20 minutes.

Reaction score
That is interesting,it gives you two bites of the cherry,20 minutes fishing pellet based bait,however long you like on the boilie...:)