Running water around the corner.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Given what water conditions allow, how many of you guy's are straining at the leash?

Preparations made, we are almost ready to go, it's almost hypnotic.

Don't be shy, let us know what your hopes are.

Here's mine, despite my physical limitations I'll be on the Trent. I have a few spots in mind where I hope to bank a large Pike, Zander or Perch. I can't wait.

terry m

Reaction score
Just starting to get excited.

I am happy to refrain during the 'closed season', so apart from one enjoyable morning on a small lake I have completely switched off since fishing hard throughout the winter.

But thoughts now on the coming weekend, finding myself driving slowly as I cross over the bridges over the Avon and Stour........

B

binka

I'll be on the Trent running the stick 'n maggot through, I've been more barbel orientated on the last few opening days but I'm happy this year to give it a couple of weeks or so until they start to settle down and instead just go for anything that will tug my string.

As I packed up on a lake last night the thought did cross my mind that my next session would likely be on running water... It brought a grin to my face :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't fish at all during the close season other than the occasional trout day on the fly.

Over the years the opening day sessions have never really been all hat good to be honest, too maybe species still spawning maybe . . . .

I will take a walk down the river, possibly at Britford and see what is going on down there, but won't take a rod.

mikench

Reaction score
As you can imagine gents, having had an hours expert tuition from Tigger on Wallis casting, I am ready for the off!;)

Note to self; hold bottom shot in left hand with palm facing down ,place two fingers of the same hand on line, turn reel to the horizontal with rod in right hand, simultaneously drop line and float, pull down on line and swing rod from 11,45 ish to 12 and watch your float fly to the middle of the river! What can possibly go wrong:)

In truth am looking forwarding to having a go, further practice( i need it) and catching something, anything!;)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Long experience tells me that most river species are in far better condition in a month's time. They have almost all finished spawning by June 16th most years but are still cleaning themselves off for a short while yet. Roach don't really get on the hemp until July, dace are probably one of the few species in excellent condition in June. Barbel, barring the odd fluke, are usually slow starters locally being much better in August and September.

Have to laugh about the continued fad for centrepins on rivers.... Far too much like hard work for me and a method that had long lost traction in my river match fishing days.

I must confess though this year that being back on the rivers after a terrible 4 months of work going on at home and recovering from my heart problems will be close to a triumph.

flightliner

Reaction score
I usually dont get too excited these days about the sixteenth, happy yes as it broadens my angling pallate.
This year is very differant , it's been seven weeks since my last trip, a bad viral infection laid me low and was then on antibiotics that eventually helped clear things up , thankfully only days before a fortnights med/ adriatic cruise (saw my first swordfish) .
Then last week on return it went mental with loads to do so yes, excited beyond measure, like it used to be years ago before stillwaters were left for anglers to use untill the rivers opened.
I,m in a quandary tho as circumstances have again made me make alternative arrangements.
I,ll be going to the trent as usual but not to fish, to join a club that I,ve had my eye on for some little while now that has some good fishing available, even better in winter but Membership is a tad limited and opening day will be my best chance to catch the secretary.
I,m not to bothered fishing it tho much preferring a trent tributary a few miles away that is very shallow and pacy .
I fished it last year in three differant locations and had some nice chub, barbel and roach.
later on leaving I may backtrack o'er lincoln way to check out a good stillwater.
Derek, if you contact any pike like the one that sidled up near my keepnet last February on the lower tidal you will have a fair old scrap on your hands.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Think I will strolling alongside the Wreake with bread,worms and sweetcorn fishing for anything but will also have a few small spinners and plugs.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Rivers are like beautiful women, they hold great promise in your imagination and you lavish them with offerings only to toy with your affections and reject you most of the time. But you keep going back for more nevertheless.

Last edited:
B

binka

Rivers are like beautiful women

I thought you were going to say moody, capable of sweeping anything aside and often dirty!

(Context is everything in the case of the latter which is generally considered to be a favourable attribute :eek:;):D)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I thought you were going to say moody, capable of sweeping anything aside and often dirty!

(Context is everything in the case of the latter which is generally considered to be a favourable attribute :eek:;):D)

Dirty good-Polluted not so good.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just tell me where the river Nigella is;)

You would be punching above your weight if we told you; it has tench in it. :))

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Apologies to Derek for lowering the tone of this thread, but I'm blaming Binka. :)

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score

Apologies to Derek for lowering the tone of this thread, but I'm blaming Binka. :)

So Binka broke my thread eh! But they always say, a Leopard can't change its spots lol.

mikench

Reaction score

I'm sure but i wouldnt necessarily be fishing!