Going mad remembering how i shot a 12x4 float

iain t

Reaction score
Evening everyone. Going to concentrate more on float trotting this year for Chub.
Last year i know i mostly bulk shot my Alloy and Lignum sticks but for the life of me i can't remember how i did it. I remember i put a small shot under the float tail then down the line i bulk shot it followed by a small shot just above the float.
Anyone explain a bulk shotting pattern for a 12x4 stick
please help ive started to go mad trying to think how i did it.

B

binka

There are as many variations as there are different swims to dictate it but generally I would bulk around two thirds down with a dropper or two below that, depending on the overall depth and the distance between bulk and hook.

More often than not I use shirt button though.

If you use a string of no.4 instead of fewer larger shot it will give you more options if you find you need to move them around a bit.

iain t

Reaction score
I use the shirt button style on still waters but on rivers and streams i find i can feel the bottom better with bulk shot whilst the line is moving along

B

binka

I use the shirt button style on still waters but on rivers and streams i find i can feel the bottom better with bulk shot whilst the line is moving along

It's strange innit?

I never use shirt button on stillwaters, usually two or three droppers over the last third with the bulk around the float unless I'm under the rod tip, trying to combat tow or fishing the lift in which case the bulk goes down the line.

I'm sure we all do pretty much as well as each other and we just make different things work for us.

I reckon I'd go with whatever feels good on the day.

robtherake

Reaction score
It must be late - I actually thought you'd shot a float with some kind of weapon.:eek:mg: On the free pond we fished it was as common to see a lad with an airgun as a fishing rod. Some took both. Inevitably, some amusement was had shooting the odd float out of the water while it was still in use; often from cover, so it came as something of a shock.:eek:

Honestly, it was like the Wild West, but I don't recall a single gun-related injury. Well, that's not strictly true; a contingent would sneak round the woods taking pot-shots at one another with pump-up pistols on a low setting. It raised a bleb sometimes (as does a paint pellet) but there were no actual flesh wounds. I hasten to add that this was well before the nanny state had squeezed the last vestiges of risk from an increasingly disconnected youth element. As long as we didn't openly carry air weapons in public or create a nuisance we pretty much had the run of the local woods and rough land, unofficially sanctioned by the local bobbies and keepers provided certain areas were left alone. As far as they were concerned it kept us out of any real mischief. Times have certainly changed.

Richox12

Reaction score
It depends what you are trying to achieve but a 'fixed' olivette (with spigots or pegs) is an excellent bulk and can be moved without damaging the line

iain t

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

It must be late - I actually thought you'd shot a float with some kind of weapon.:eek:mg: On the free pond we fished it was as common to see a lad with an airgun as a fishing rod. Some took both. Inevitably, some amusement was had shooting the odd float out of the water while it was still in use; often from cover, so it came as something of a shock.:eek:

Honestly, it was like the Wild West, but I don't recall a single gun-related injury. Well, that's not strictly true; a contingent would sneak round the woods taking pot-shots at one another with pump-up pistols on a low setting. It raised a bleb sometimes (as does a paint pellet) but there were no actual flesh wounds. I hasten to add that this was well before the nanny state had squeezed the last vestiges of risk from an increasingly disconnected youth element. As long as we didn't openly carry air weapons in public or create a nuisance we pretty much had the run of the local woods and rough land, unofficially sanctioned by the local bobbies and keepers provided certain areas were left alone. As far as they were concerned it kept us out of any real mischief. Times have certainly changed.

Haven't a clue what your on about but a good read :)