Greedy Rudd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spent a pleasant few hours yesterday catching a decent bag of Rudd on my new whip. One thing that was annoying was the number of fish that had swallowed the bait, I reckon I only lip hooked every other fish. Difficult to use a disgorger as I was using a fake maggot threaded onto the shank of the hook.

Is this a common thing with Rudd or am I fishing for them incorrectly?

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have never used fake maggot, but I found that some of the rudd I was catching at Oakley Road, a few weeks ago, were doing the same. I thought it was me not detecting the bite soon enough, but I don't know.

I will be interested to see what others think.

Ralph.

B

binka

At what depth were you fishing for them John?

I'm wondering if, with Rudd often found in large shoals which will readily feed up in the water, the ones that were deep hooked had risen to take the bait and had time to chomp it before darting back down before any indication on the float had registered?

If so it might be worth shallowing up or looking at the shotting pattern to either bomb it down or register the up in the water bites in some way?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing at approx 3ft in 6ft of water close to the margin Steve. One small number 8 as a dropper three inches from the hook. I didn't detect any taking on the drop, maybe they were. Also, those that were lip hooked weren't consistent, some top lip, some bottom.

B

binka

I think I'd be inclined to move the dropper further up so that any lack of it settling will show earlier, the deeper it's set the longer it will take to register and the fish could be holding it up for that split second it takes to get the bait down 'em when they're feeding confidently and competing with others.

If that doesn't cure it then maybe shallow up a couple of times by six inches at a time.