Being there at the right time.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Most would I believe accept that certain species have optimum feeding periods, be that time of day or water conditions.

Many will go to elaborate lengths to ensure that they are there by the waterside at such times equipped with the best baits and techniques in order to capitalise on those opportunities. However, most will through circumstances such as work or family obligations be unable to seize such opportunities.

But, whatever your aspirations, enjoy the opportunities and good luck to one and all.

thecrow

Reaction score
I well remember when I was fishing a large reservoir for roach that fishing during the day would be a waste of time, dusk and into dark was the time to be there but disturbance had to be kept to a minimum so with that in mind it was always best to turn up early afternoon (winter fishing) and get any freebies in ready for the feeding period.

steve2

Reaction score
Being in the right place at the right time is what fishing is about. You could spend a week on water and still not catch especially if you have set up a base camp and can’t be bothered to move.
Many of my best captures have been right place right time. My best carp just happened to swim past when I was just standing there watching the water. A quick piece of crust on hook, flicked out and it was in the net a few minutes later.
No skill, just right place right time.

B

binka

I think this right place, right time thing is something we often take as just good fortune.

I suppose the difference is whether we just rocked up and dropped on or we deliberately timed it based on some sort of reasoning, in my case it's often the former :eek:mg:

Joking aside I very much believe in favourite times of day for different species, even more so in winter when the window of opportunity can be so short.

thecrow

Reaction score
I suppose the difference is whether we just rocked up and dropped on or we deliberately timed it based on some sort of reasoning, in my case it's often the former

Imo the former is often the way that we find out the best time for different species on different waters, that or someone else has done it and passed the information on.

Philip

Reaction score
Of course being in the right place at the right time is basically whats its all about as if your in the wrong place at the wrong time you wont catch regardless of how good your tackle and bait is.

One thing I do wonder however is that at least as far as i am concerned whether I become a bit too slave to THINKING there there is a right time and place. For example I generally pitch up for the last hour of daylight when after Roach because I assume this is the right time...The risk is you take one way of thinking thats worked for you in the past or have been told to other waters or areas, so if I fish somewhere else I will assume I also need to fish for Roach early or late. of course it is a good GENERAL time to fish for them but unless I try other times how do I know ? ...thats the quandary.

When I first started to fish for Carp in rivers I was basically under the assumption the day was a waste of time and you had to night fish because thats what most other people did. This proved not to be the case at all and I ended up basically just day fishing..the fish even coming in the middle of blazing hot afternoons.

I wonder how many other opportunities are passed by because we are conditioned to think in a certain way ?