Recommendations for a really light 12 ft float rod

mikench

Reaction score
I have a 10 ' 3 11' and a 14ft float rod. I feel I should have a 12' for silver fish but able to handle the odd( slight underestimation) bream and carp. It must be very light . An Acolyte seems obvious but they start at 13'.

What do you lot ( Rob,Tigger) reckon?:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Drennan Matchpro Ultralight might tick the boxes, if you aren't prepared to go second hand. However, unless you are restricted for space, a thirteen footer might be a better idea. It gives you a few more options.

robtherake

Reaction score
Most 12 footers feel substantially lighter in the hand than their longer counterparts, Mike. My favourite all-rounder is an old Silstar Diaflex Kevlar waggler rod which is reasonably soft in the tip but has more grunt further down than you'd believe was possible for such a skinny blank. Bit thin on the ground, though, nowadays.

I've fished with the two-piece Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, which is a fast-striking and soft-tipped rod. It's lovely in use but has yet to encounter anything to really test its mettle. Pretty sure Sam Vimes has been playing with a few ultra-light float rods looking for the Holy Grail, so he may have some good input.

Edit: Speak of the devil....

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 12ft acolyte carp waggler and it's spot on....very light and ideal for still water or trotting.

Oh, don't be put off by the name of "carp waggler", i've caught lots of small stuff, dace rudd, roach etc and it works great.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
A silstar diaflex would be my choice also.
Hard to find but very good rods.

Reaction score
To be honest i'm disappointed with the angling trades departure from 3 piece 12ft float rods,as not every angler wants to tackle up at home,with the added hassle of having a 6ft 3in holdall to cope,Drennan make all manner of Acolytes in varying lengths but not a 12ft 3 piece,you can pick some up,Shakespeare have a couple,trouble is having not picked one up I for one would be loathe to take a chance.

B

binka

To be honest i'm disappointed with the angling trades departure from 3 piece 12ft float rods,as not every angler wants to tackle up at home,with the added hassle of having a 6ft 3in holdall to cope,Drennan make all manner of Acolytes in varying lengths but not a 12ft 3 piece,you can pick some up,Shakespeare have a couple,trouble is having not picked one up I for one would be loathe to take a chance.

Two piece, made up float rods don't float my boat either if I'm honest.

Ok I'm a bit prone to damaging things but I think they are too delicate to transport ready made up and even the most careful amongst us run the risk of damaging an eye or even worse imo and I don't like the hard case type of holdalls.

All different of course if you're just laying it in the back of the car and not strapped to a quiver in which case I can see the merit of it.

Hardy used to do a two piece Marksman at 11' 10" and I waggled one at Bobco, it was a gem of a rod in its own right but against the Acolyte I compared it with at the time it was runner up, iirc the line rating was 12oz to 5lb and they occasionally come up still on the bay of evil.

Don't Drennan do the Acolyte Ultra in a 12' two piece anymore, or did they ever?

I can't see any on their website but I feel sure I waggled one or something very similar at the same time I waggled the Marksman, there was also a nice feeling Tricast too if you didn't mind a bit of Duplon and a dolly section to the butt which allowed it to be broken down into equal lengths.

Which was the rod that you bought for your grayling trotting Chris, around 18 months ago?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From time to time you can still pick up a 12ft Team normark microlite 2000 on ebay. They are three piece and are superb rods, probably one of the best ever silver fish rods made. They don't come cheap when up for grabs but in reality they're not much more than a acolyte ultra....the most frusterating part about getting one is waiting until one is listed on ebay!
If you where to go for a 13ft rod then the normark MKII microlite is the best ever light fish rod i've ever used and they do occasionally show on ebay....but don't hold your breath lol.
Just my opinion of course but I would steer clear of the drennan ultras as the plus does the very same thing and more :).

john step

Reaction score
I started to reply to this yesterday then had a rethink. For me the conundrum is "silver fish", "really light" and "the odd carp".

Thats the problem with a lot of waters nowadays. Fish light enough to enjoy roach and get crashed off by a carp possibly leaving a hook in it.

For really light silver fishing when I know the chances of a lump are slight I have an old Normark Nova 12 foot match. Not the top end in the Normarks but a lovely sweet light rod nevertheless. I use high tech hooklengths now but have had it since the old 1.1 and 1.7 Perlon days.
It gets a lot of use for winter roach.

I bought it as an unwanted raffle prize for £25. Best £25 I have ever spent.

If one comes up on the Bay and you can live with sliding rod fittings, its a good 'un.

mikench

Reaction score
A 12' two piece rod would require a hard case of some kind for me as I would undoubtedly break a tip eventually. I would prefer a three piece for ease of transportation. A 13 ' solves the problem but I then might as well stay with my 14' which I love!

I will look on eBay and see what I can locate. I do like the look of the Drennen Acolyte Carp waggler at 12' and it is so light! If I could find a cordura tube 6' long I might be tempted:rolleyes:

If anyone hears of a suitable second hand candidate please tip me the wink;)

B

binka

If I could find a cordura tube 6' long I might be tempted:rolleyes:

You might struggle for 6' Mike but Airflo do some nice looking ones up to 163cm, one of my Hardy tubes is nearing 6' if not actually 6' and this is just for an 11' 6" rod so you'd have to add a bit on for a two piece 12' rod by the time you allow for the padded lid and base.

There used to be someone on the bay of evil which had a whole host of different cordura tubes in all colours and sizes but a quick trawl through drew a blank I'm afraid.

If ever you find yourself needing a shorter one the Airflo are well worth a look imo, I think they are in the main a game fishing brand so check the diameters too but I can't see those being a problem...

Edited to add:

Sorry Mike I don't know why I'm obsessing over two piece, who mentioned two piece?

You will easily find one for a three piece :)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A 12' two piece rod would require a hard case of some kind for me as I would undoubtedly break a tip eventually. I would prefer a three piece for ease of transportation. A 13 ' solves the problem but I then might as well stay with my 14' which I love!

I will look on eBay and see what I can locate. I do like the look of the Drennen Acolyte Carp waggler at 12' and it is so light! If I could find a cordura tube 6' long I might be tempted:rolleyes:

If anyone hears of a suitable second hand candidate please tip me the wink;)

Mike, why not take the rod in it's bag in a hard plastic tube and then make it up on the bank (as we did with your supero at the open day)? I usually always do that, it's much safer than any made up tube ever invented and is less bulky to carry.
Just for reference a 13ft rod differs quite a lot in use from a 14 footer, that extra foot makes the rod much more unwieldy. The 12ft carp waggler is nice and in the right place (confined) it may be easier to maneuver than a 13ft rod but the 13ft plus will cover a larger range of waters. Imo 13ft is the optimum length for a float rod for the majority of venues/uses...obviously that is jmo ;).

If you do go for one of the accy rods NWA will give you a great deal or even Leigh tackle and bait, they're both very competitive with their prices!

mikench

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions! What a nice problem to have!!!:) I thought 12 ft so it would be a little more manoeverable in tighter swims! Maybe a 13 ft three piece may be better all round!

Reaction score
It is a matter of personal preference Mike,one that many would disagree with my own,a twelve foot float is lighter than it's thirteen foot stable mate,but in every case imo is more responsive and easier to use,I know many guys prefer fifteen footers for trotting,but not me,I never go above a thirteen(anymore),but prefer twelves,imo playing fish is easier with the shorter rod,I have a Normark Titan 2000 and it's a thing of beauty,my only point against buying such a rod is if you break a tip,that is it,cos there aint no more,so I think it better to look elsewhere for a twelve footer,you will always wonder if one would be better for certain swims,as I said I think Shaky do one that looks ok for about 70 quid,cheap as chips IF its any good.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with short rods. I have float rods from 9 through to 17' and every point between. However, I'll tend to use rods as long as I can get away with on the river. On still water, I'll use as long as is necessary depending on the depth of water and the space available for casting. My go to length for still water is 13'. If the peg is restricted I'll go shorter. If the water is deep I'll go longer. I'm with Tigger in believing that 13' is the optimal float rod length. If I were unfortunate enough to be restricted to one float rod, it would be 13'.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I use a 12'matchpro Ultralight with very light lines and hooks down to a 22 for roach fishing and it is a lovely rod for that purpose. Yes, I do hook the odd carp unintentionally and they take me for a tour around the lake. Some are landed/most lost and TBH I'm always pleased when the 'fight' has gone one way or the other. I really find this situation annoying and never do I think "Great, I caught a carp today" but more that it took up good roach fishing time!!
The rod will curve alarmingly down through the middle and sometimes I wonder why it doesn't give up with a crack, but to date that hasn't happened.

For the job it was designed to do it works beautifully, but I couldn't recommend it for bigger fish as other rods are available for that purpose................

ps If it did fail I would replace it tomorrow...

Reaction score
There's a testament Mike...get your cash out...;)