Unattended rods...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
At a local day ticket fishery near me an angler noticed 4 unattended rods and a bivvy, rods were fishing but the (so called) anglers were not there. The bailiff was informed, who in turn called the local EA inspector. The witness described their absence as varying between spells of 5 to 30minutes.
Understandably the EA man was unimpressed, turned up, then fined them £350 and the bailiff banned them for life.

I must admit I have seen this behaviour before and it gets my goat.

Good job done .

Reaction score
At a local day ticket fishery near me an angler noticed 4 unattended rods and a bivvy, rods were fishing but the (so called) anglers were not there. The bailiff was informed, who in turn called the local EA inspector. The witness described their absence as varying between spells of 5 to 30minutes.
Understandably the EA man was unimpressed, turned up, then fined them £350 and the bailiff banned them for life.

I must admit I have seen this behaviour before and it gets my goat.

Good job done .

Simon,it's a shame the fishery bailiff didn't wrap their gear up and dump it outside the fishery gates.:mad:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, according to the bailiff the EA issued the fine.

OK Peter, as I said I didn't realise they could issue a fine like that, I am interested so will ask someone I know in the EA next time I see him.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
From the gov.uk EA website...

Quote..
The number of rods you can use at the same time depends on the water you’re fishing in and the fish you’re trying to catch.

You must make sure that the distance between the butts of the outermost rods isn’t more than 3 metres when fishing with multiple rods and lines.

It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From the gov.uk EA website...

Quote..
The number of rods you can use at the same time depends on the water you’re fishing in and the fish you’re trying to catch.

You must make sure that the distance between the butts of the outermost rods isn’t more than 3 metres when fishing with multiple rods and lines.

It’s illegal to leave a rod and line in the water unattended or over which you don’t have sufficient control.

I know about the rules Peter, I just haven't heard of the EA actually issuing a fine.

iain t

Reaction score
Serves them right if fish dragged the rods in. But then again why should the poor fish suffer. his kit should have got nicked instead.

P.s

Anyone want to buy 4 hooky rods and a Bivvy. Must be able to collect from the bank fast

ffv

Reaction score
I thought this post was going to be about a rod been pulled in that wasnt been watched. I'll never forget as a kid once I was float and feeder fishing at the same time. In the feeder I had some home made ground bait made from stale bread, digestive biscuits and some other random stuff I'd found laying around the garage. Thought I'd never catch a fish on it, I was wrong. While watching the float my ledger rod was flying off the rest and head out into the lake. I grabbed it in time and pulled out a 10lb mirror, my first one, only just though a second longer and I'd have lost the lot. Taught me good lesson, never had more than one hook at a time in water after that, well, unless I was sea fishing that is.

B

binka

Not unattended as such, more distracted in this case.

When I was on the river yesterday I was poking around in my swim (as you do) because my next door neighbour is doing an art course and she had asked me to provide her with a bag of smooth, river worn pebbles for reasons I decided would be best not to go into.

I was happily filling said bag when I heard a strange noise which turned out to be my baitrunner and I looked up to see a bite barrel rolling down the rod blank towards me :eek:mg:

Fish landed but I felt cheated that I didn't see the initial twitch, it's a good job she's a looker :cool:

The neighbour's not bad either...

carpinbob

Reaction score
I would have taken his tackle away as well as the fine and ban.

steve2

Reaction score
What as happen in the past on one of our lakes is that unattended tackle as been removed even if not in the water and dumped in the car park by the bailiffs. Rules are if you leave the water you have to pack away.

One thing as always puzzled me is that being tucked up in bed asleep is not consider unattended tackle. Anyone know why?

sam vimes

Reaction score
One thing as always puzzled me is that being tucked up in bed asleep is not consider unattended tackle. Anyone know why?

If the angler concerned is within three metres of his rod(s), has some forms of indication that will alert him to a take, and the angler is capable of responding to his indicator in good time, that's enough to be considered in control of attended rod (s).

terry m

Reaction score
What as happen in the past on one of our lakes is that unattended tackle as been removed even if not in the water and dumped in the car park by the bailiffs. Rules are if you leave the water you have to pack away.

That seems overly harsh to me. What happens if you want to take a cr@p? Surely you are away from the water then?

And why would being asleep in a bivvy, on a bedchair with bite alarms, be any more neglectful than someone nodding off on a deck chair holding a float rod with no audible alarms?

Don't get me wrong, truly unattended baited rods in the water is irresponsible. But let's keep it in perspective.

---------- Post added at 05:56 ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 ----------

Not unattended as such, more distracted in this case.

When I was on the river yesterday I was poking around in my swim (as you do) because my next door neighbour is doing an art course and she had asked me to provide her with a bag of smooth, river worn pebbles for reasons I decided would be best not to go into.

I was happily filling said bag when I heard a strange noise which turned out to be my baitrunner and I looked up to see a bite barrel rolling down the rod blank towards me :eek:mg:

Fish landed but I felt cheated that I didn't see the initial twitch, it's a good job she's a looker :cool:

The neighbour's not bad either...

So was she grateful when you unloaded your bag of goodies for her when you got back? :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That seems overly harsh to me. What happens if you want to take a cr@p? Surely you are away from the water then?

Going for a **** etc isn't a problem so long as the rods are wound in and preferably the bait is removed so birds etc can't try to eat it.
The problem starts when someone doesn't want to loose the peg and leave their tackle as a claim on the spot and go to the shops, pub or even home for a few hours or more. This kind'a thing is starting to become common practice on the rivers now also!