Have we exhausted the advances.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Am I the only one who believes that there are few if any notable improvements to be made.

It seems that over the last twenty or so years little has happened other than small tweaks to existing tackle and techniques. These tweaks are often credited as a major breakthrough, or am I just a tad cynical?

However, plenty of advances could be made in bankside etiquette and behaviour, (litter and dog mess), that would be a quantum leap.

Only yesterday an old friend called in on route back from fishing in a terrible state, (a mobile angler) ranting furiously about running the gauntlet trying to avoid piles of dog mess on the pathways. Rant over.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
totally agree....yesterday fishing a match on the Cherwell I drew a swim that runs on to shallow gravels. For those who don't know the middle Cherwell its is a small river and my swim was only 10 mtrs wide.

Shallows below the swim are a noted dog bathing area which normally doesn't bother the fish if they don't venture to far up yesterday was an exception though...thing is it wasn't the dogs that were the problem it was people just blatantly wanting to swim in front of me, I couldn't believe how ignorant and selfish these people were.

Needless to say I gave in after 2 hours as it was stressing me out, I still weighed in though and managed 3lb 15oz of dace.

mikench

Reaction score
Geese and ducks that leave their droppings elsewhere than my peg:)

Rods made of graphene available in lengths of say 9 foot which can be added to with extension pieces of a foot without affecting the handling. The blanks would weigh a couple of oz at most and be the thickness of a pencil. The final length could be a quiver tip or one for float fishing. Graphene being strong would enable one to cast with the same rod from a thin quill to half a house brick:rolleyes:

I know that some rods are pencil thin and weigh a matter of ounces but one has to be able to see them and enjoy the tactile feel of them!:)

B

binka

Rods made of graphene available in lengths of say 9 foot which can be added to with extension pieces of a foot without affecting the handling. The blanks would weigh a couple of oz at most and be the thickness of a pencil. The final length could be a quiver tip or one for float fishing. Graphene being strong would enable one to cast with the same rod from a thin quill to half a house brick:rolleyes:

I listened to a very interesting programme on Radio 4 some months ago where graphene was being discussed along with doubts as to it's very existence in a separately definable material form, due to graphene itself being an atomic scale of carbon atoms.

I think the question was can a scale of something actually be used to describe the material itself?

I think the outcome of that conversation was fairly inconclusive and I felt like going for a lie down in a darkened room after thinking about it.

Needless to say that, whilst they debated it, I was thinking the same as you regarding fishing rods and I was of the opinion it did exist, I think it would be great if it became a viable rod building material.

I think it is said to be 200 times stronger than the strongest steel, I wonder if they can make a chair from it? ;)

In every other respect I think we'll see the usual reinventions of the wheel under new packaging and although it's not my cup of tea I reckon the development into more and more self hooking rigs will continue as that seems to be the way that so many are fishing these days whilst they are free to do whatever else.

Edited to add:

As a follow up thought to the above, I wonder who if anyone will be the first to offer a carbon framed chair?

Surely that one has to come as a big improvement for the roving angler, once the manufacturers get the cost side of things sorted out?

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
OK materials for tackle manufacture may improve, even so a rod or reel is still a rod or reel.
New tactics are only rehashed older tactics, it's been said for years that nothing is new.
Things that can improve are anglers abilities and with the help of forums that surely is the case. In general anglers behaviour on the bank has improved with care of fish and thought for others on the bank.
Litter is still a major issue, of course there are still the sod everyone attitude from the odd clown but in my experience on the whole angling can't get much better.
It appears to advanced immeasurably since the early 60s when I got the bug. If now it moves on another step I would never say never, I strongly doubt it could but you never know.
I can say I'm happy with how my own fishing has progressed through the years even if I can't manage river fishing now.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Only yesterday an old friend called in on route back from fishing in a terrible state, (a mobile angler) ranting furiously about running the gauntlet trying to avoid piles of dog mess on the pathways. Rant over.

A plastic bag strapped to the dogs rear end to catch all the **** should do it. Fixed to the base of the tail at two points and the top of each rear leg. Working on it as I speak..

mikench

Reaction score
something so strong and light( if ever available commercially) as graphene would revolutionise fishing being made into rods, landing net poles, rod rests and bank sticks, chairs and seat boxes, hooks, reels and even landing net's!

The prospect no matter how remote may just be the excuse i need to avoid buying another rod!;)

nottskev

Reaction score
It would be nice if the development of lighter-than-air gear would kick in as I'm having to make ever more trips from the (nearby) car.

That said, I'm not sure lightest always feels best. I once invested in some oo er featherlight creation, but reverted back to a rod weighing a leaden 6 oz as the lighter one was too steely in action, felt too insubstantial in the hand and lacked elasticity.

I wonder if affordable derivatives of fish-finders will feature more in the future. What price the "smart float" or "video feeder" sending fish and swim data back to the angler staring at a screen? Am I being pessimistic to imagine that people will lose patience with traditional watercraft - largely informed guesswork - and buy into gizmos that tell you and show you what's under the water and where the fish are?

steve2

Reaction score
It is advanced, as it will need to go in my fishing lifetime. There are graphene carbon composite rods available if you are will to pay for them.
I suppose you could get a self winding reel strong enough to stop some anglers getting out of their beds to reel in a fish not forgetting they would also need a remote control landing,

Not being a dog lover I have always said no dog should be allowed out in a public space unless it was fitted with a cork.

B

binka

I wonder if affordable derivatives of fish-finders will feature more in the future. What price the "smart float" or "video feeder" sending fish and swim data back to the angler staring at a screen? Am I being pessimistic to imagine that people will lose patience with traditional watercraft - largely informed guesswork - and buy into gizmos that tell you and show you what's under the water and where the fish are?

I was watching a lad the other week, he was underarming a small black ball out about the size of a tennis ball, on a separate rod.

He then seemed distracted with his phone and when I approached to ask what it was he explained that it was a camera which just drifted along on the surface and when a fish swam beneath it pinged on his phone to alert him :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I am quite happy with the simple way I try to fish! Shotting a float, setting up a pellet/method/other feeder, casting out and landing the fish are as technical as i want it to be!;) I even get some of that wrong:(

Reaction score
I think the main advances have come in the bits and bobs side,Guru have made some tremendous gear,trouble is many don't get to read up on tackle today,ten years ago tackle was crude in comparison,I often hear about stuff from guys on the bank,or on here...:)

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
3d printing although very expensive and relatively crude now hopefully will give the opportunity for the angler to design and create their own lure bodies , floats etc ..

iain t

Reaction score
A plastic bag strapped to the dogs rear end to catch all the **** should do it. Fixed to the base of the tail at two points and the top of each rear leg. Working on it as I speak..

Saw a programme on Sky a couple years back that the exact same bags come in different sizes are available for dogs in Japan.

Been a bit old school i like to feel the weight of the rod and reel in my hands. I can see in the future more techy stuff coming out I.e like lure's that chase fish on their own, a new design Monotype line, etc plus many silly items that will catch on.
These will all be worthless to me, just give me a Cabon rod and reel with mono and i'll be happy as a sand boy.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
There are biodegradable line and lures available so how about biodegradable rods and reels it would certainly give me more space in the shed.

Just wondering what idea the greens will put forward in years to come.I suppose biodegradable cars would also be a good idea. They certainly don't rust like they use to.

Philip

Reaction score
I think many advancements nowadays are just tweaks to the same basic ideas or recycling of old ideas under a different guise.

For a real advancement to happen something pretty basic or fundemental has to.change. I look at what we use and it boils down to a line and a hook. With the increasing pressure on angling From the the PC brigade i wonder if something could change with regards to the hook.

The basic concept of a hook probably hasnt changed since literally prehistoric times and right back to the first angler who ever cast a line.

Is there really no other way than pulling a bit of metal into its mouth?

A bit far fetched ?

The people after Eels with balls of wool in times gone show its maybe not an impossible aim...

B

binka

The people after Eels with balls of wool in times gone show its maybe not an impossible aim...

I've often fancied trying a bit of eel bobbing.

I'm not sure the tooth characteristics of other coarse fish would make it a viable method of hookless capture though?

Who knows, in the fullness of time you may well turn out to be right.

robtherake

Reaction score
3d printing although very expensive and relatively crude now hopefully will give the opportunity for the angler to design and create their own lure bodies , floats etc ..

I like the idea of making replacement parts for those items for which spares are no longer available. Maybe it won't be long before domestic 3D printers are available in the likes of Argos.:)

As far as advancement of tackle goes, I only see continued refinement of existing equipment and gadgetry, barring the introduction of some wondrous new materials. On the other hand, you can't blame tackle firms for reinventing the wheel - without continuous change they'd be out of business.

B

binka

Maybe it won't be long before domestic 3D printers are available in the likes of Argos.:)

I'd put money on me being the first to get chucked out as the printer clogged whilst trying to print out a life size figure of Linda Lusardi in her prime :)

mikench

Reaction score
I cannot get my head round 3D printers! Surely they are really lathes!

I would rather have the real thing than a 3D copy but dont know what i would do with it!:rolleyes: