Trent Advice

chrissh

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be my first time fishing the Trent I’m thinking of going too either Cromwell wire or shardlow can anyone give me some advice on what rods to take and what fish can be caught I’m not bothered about barbel just yet just want to go for a day out Float or feeder fishing.
I’m not asking for your secret fishing spots just advice on what I can expect to catch and what baits to take with me

Thank you

B

binka

I can't comment on the tidal Chris but if you're running a float through you will usually find the bottom of the nearside ledge around one and a half to two rod lengths out and trotting a stick through and feeding a dozen maggots each run through should see you build up a swim nicely.

You'll probably find it between six and nine feet deep or thereabouts so go with a float size based on a no.4 shot for every foot of depth and string them out accordingly with the nearest shot to the hook something like a no.6 just to keep the bait acting a bit more naturally, whilst the weather is hot look for somewhere with plenty of flow.

It's only a basic guide but it should be fine for plenty of bites, if you get bleaked out you can alter the shot and bulk the bait down and/or change the feeding to heavy and occasional to ensure some gets through 'em.

A general light to medium float rod will be fine and you'll likely get roach, skimmers, perch, gudgeon and pretty much anything that swims including the odd barbel.

Good luck with it...

nottskev

Reaction score
Binka's advice is spot on. And easy does it is the way to go on such a low, clear hot river. I notice you're coming from Lincoln, a fair drive. Are you a member of a club with water in the Shardlow area? I only mention it as, as far as I know, the stretches above Cavendish Bridge in Shardlow are Derby Railway AC, and those below are first Derby Railway and Then Pride of Derby, and neither do day tickets.
If you do decide to head out west towards Shardlow, you'll pass by Nottingham where you can fish two Trent stretches on a day ticket run by Notts Fed. The stretches are above and below Clifton Bridge on the north bank. further details on their website and Facebook page. Apart from the big-fish angling for barbel and carp, which is a nocturnal business, the general approach is stick down the side or waggler a bit further out. And of course, there's a couple of miles of free, easy access fishing on the Trent embankment above Trent Bridge.
I'm sure there must be some good day-ticket stretches on the non-tidal much closer to you, above and below Newark. You could check out the websites of Nottingham Piscatorial Society and Newark Piscatorials.
Don't ask me why the pretentious names, though.

chrissh

Reaction score
Binka's advice is spot on. And easy does it is the way to go on such a low, clear hot river. I notice you're coming from Lincoln, a fair drive. Are you a member of a club with water in the Shardlow area? I only mention it as, as far as I know, the stretches above Cavendish Bridge in Shardlow are Derby Railway AC, and those below are first Derby Railway and Then Pride of Derby, and neither do day tickets.
If you do decide to head out west towards Shardlow, you'll pass by Nottingham where you can fish two Trent stretches on a day ticket run by Notts Fed. The stretches are above and below Clifton Bridge on the north bank. further details on their website and Facebook page. Apart from the big-fish angling for barbel and carp, which is a nocturnal business, the general approach is stick down the side or waggler a bit further out. And of course, there's a couple of miles of free, easy access fishing on the Trent embankment above Trent Bridge.
I'm sure there must be some good day-ticket stretches on the non-tidal much closer to you, above and below Newark. You could check out the websites of Nottingham Piscatorial Society and Newark Piscatorials.
Don't ask me why the pretentious names, though.

I should change my profile we move last year to Dronfield Derbyshire … only picked those two places’ because I was told to fish them by the tackle shop …. I would rather fish none tidal.
I joined Derby Railway AC and Nott’s AA last weekend but waiting for the books and keys to arrive
I’m looking on the site now for the Trent
Thank you

flightliner

Reaction score
Cromwell up near the weir would'nt be a good idea crissh, it'so popular with barbel anglers using multiple rod setups and it will be overcrowded just now so early in the season and any attempt at running a float downstream could be a little difficult.
it's not good "stick" water either, waggler would be my choice.
If its a stick you prefer it's a good idea to be on a bank thats been stone lined--- a sure indication you are on the side thats deepest in the margin and one the fish prefer over the shallower opposite side, always the odd exception of course but its generally where I head for.
If it's silverfish you want really hot weather like now is uncomfotable, standing in the sun running a float downriver could give you sunburn, definitely not nice so bide your time and hit the river after a bit of refreshing rain , it will pay dividends as a little fresh water usually does.
If as you say the river isnt one you've fished before then the non tidal is a good bet as you wont be bothered by a sudden change of both height and direction when the river goes into forward or reverse.
Dont however dismiss the tidal, it's always been a favourite of mine for silverfish on a running line.
Times are in the warmer months when the upper river is running for weeks low and clear producing poor returns but a close watch on the tidal for a high tide (look for a big eight or low nine metre one at albert dock in hull on a website) will tell you that on its turn back to the sea it will have that magic ingredient so often lacking on the upper reaches -------- colour !!!!.
Dont ignore it , go for it, most of the tidal is day ticket with only a few exceptions and most of them are fairly quite most days.

chrissh

Reaction score
Ooh...

That's tantalisingly close to Climax, I trust you will be exercising no restraint Chris? :)

It’s a 5 minute walk from my house
Climax is now part of angling direct the shop has been refurbished and very well stocked

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Trent update

I ended up fishing the River Trent at Bleasby run by Nott’s AA… had a mixed bad roach & bream on the feeder
Thanks for your help