Thoughts on these lines

iain t

Reaction score
Going through my filing cupboard in my man cave ive found some line ive never used. What are your thoughts on these lines?. ****, good, throw away.
Guru Dragline 6,8 and 10lb spools Float or sinking line
Drennan Series 7 5.6lb. is this floating or sinking
Berkley Trilene XL float 4lb. Take this is floating as in the name.

If there no good i may just as well put them on Flea-bay as a bulk lot

Last edited:
B

binka

I used the Guru some time ago (around 4 years?), I didn't buy anymore for reasons I can't remember but I seem to recall it was a decent enough and robust, workhorse type of line.

iain t

Reaction score
So take the drag line is just a bog standard carp line. Nothing outstanding but does the job

B

binka

So take the drag line is just a bog standard carp line. Nothing outstanding but does the job

Pretty much so, I'm sure I used it when I was chucking method feeders big distances on gravel pits after having it recommended by one of my local tackle shops.

shane99

Reaction score
Bought Drennan series 7 in 3 & 5 last year & at the time I liked it. Here's the thing, I have a draw in the mancave which I keep all my spare spools in, this year I found 2 spools with the series 7 line on (its the only greenish line I have)
and as you do gave them a quick stretch to test and they both snapped like cotton ?? Would anyone know why/how ? The other line I have had this with was I think drennan feeder. The maxima & Sensor spools were ok. They were kept in the dark by the way.

Not hijacking your thread sir just reminded me of the problem I had with series 7 line which I was honestly a bit shocked about.

Richox12

Reaction score
Going through my filing cupboard in my man cave ive found some line ive never used. What are your thoughts on these lines?. ****, good, throw away.
Guru Dragline 6,8 and 10lb spools Float or sinking line
Drennan Series 7 5.6lb. is this floating or sinking
Berkley Trilene XL float 4lb. Take this is floating as in the name.

If there no good i may just as well put them on Flea-bay as a bulk lot

I've used Series 7 a lot in 0.16mm & 0.20mm and like it. It does sink as soon as the silicone or whatever is on it as part of the spooling process washes off (or wash it off yourself if you want it to sink easier/quicker straight away). Nylon lines SINK. Nylon is heavier than water. It's only surface tension which keeps it up and how well and how long just depends on what it is coated with.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 ----------

Bought Drennan series 7 in 3 & 5 last year & at the time I liked it. Here's the thing, I have a draw in the mancave which I keep all my spare spools in, this year I found 2 spools with the series 7 line on (its the only greenish line I have)

Series 7 is brown

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As stated nylon lines sink but only just. The Drennan line expert told me that the FINISH on a line is what makes a difference so that shiny lines tend to hold up better in surface tension (eg Bayer Perlon) than matt finishes (eg Maxima). As lines 'age', ie get used a lot, the finish on a shiny line becomes matt so a former 'floating' line becomes a sinker. Using line sprays can mitigate this either way so you can get Maxima to float or Bayer to sink.