Feeder and lead arrangement

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Can anyone help me ?

There are many lead/feeder arrangements .

Running , lead clip , helicopter along with inline bolts , semi bolt and bolt but not to worry about inline at moment .

I do use free running on the river and when been fishing for tench and seen a post that advised not to use bolt type feeder for tench fishing as bumps the fish off ?

What circumstances would you use helicopter , running and lead clip ?

Seen people use helicopter set up for tench and bream fishing though .

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
The helicopter rig can be used for any species, I used it a lot some years ago when Roach fishing, I used it to prevent tangles from side winds on the cast.

I don't have any idea why the rig should bump Tench off unless the angler was using a blunt hook or a big bait with a small hook. Its not a problem I have ever had with the rig.

I no longer use lead clips as I don't trust them and I certainly don't want the lead to be falling off when I hook a fish, running is what I always use feeder or lead still or running water.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There was a post on here and people was saying to go to a running feeder but I think the key is to have the feeder heavy enough to set the hook properly ?

I'm not keen on lead clips really been a inline fan mainly but the water I'm fishing is silty and noticed a few are using helicopter set ups

mikench

Reaction score
Can anyone help me ?

There are many lead/feeder arrangements .

Running , lead clip , helicopter along with inline bolts , semi bolt and bolt but not to worry about inline at moment .

I do use free running on the river and when been fishing for tench and seen a post that advised not to use bolt type feeder for tench fishing as bumps the fish off ?

What circumstances would you use helicopter , running and lead clip ?

Seen people use helicopter set up for tench and bream fishing though .

Thanks all

You mentioned every bolt except Usain:rolleyes: my methods do not merit emulation Matt although I always use a maggot feeder on a helicopter rig with a fluorocarbon hooklength and maggot on the hook when after roach!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never heard of that method ???

A lot of a clubs are insisting for free running feeders and leads now , I prefer bolt methods personally

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The mike method ??? What's that just a helicopter with maggot feeder rig ? What's different about that , sorry read your reply quickly and replied

john step

Reaction score
To get the best of both worlds ie bolt and free running, try this.....

Put a bead on the line FIRST , BUT USE A BAITING NEEDLE TO PULL THE LINE THROUGH AT 90 DEGREES to the manufacturer's hole.
Then tackle up with a running lead as usual.
You can push the bead which will be gripping the line right up to the lead for enough of a bolt or push it up the line enough for a free running set up.

This gives a bolt completely safely as any fish can pull the lead off against the bead in a break off.

Reaction score
Or just slide a silicon stop above your feeder/lead,set it what distance you want,to give a semi-bolt,fish it 18in or so up,it basically does the same thing as the old feeder/lead tied in a loop,but safely....I use it all the time barbel fishing,it keeps debris away from the rig too.

mikench

Reaction score
Never heard of that method ???

A lot of a clubs are insisting for free running feeders and leads now , I prefer bolt methods personally

Matt You have surely heard of Usain Bolt:) I was jesting !

I do use helicopter rigs and buy the Korum ready to use rigs. They work well except with very fine lines when they move!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As said read it quick and after thought that's a funny word ha ha ! Yes the korum ones look good . On a river at the moment with naff all flow , preparing for a blank ;)