Womble

B

binka

Yes, this is in the General Fishing forum by design.

A week or so ago a neighbour asked me if I would get her some river worn pebbles for some arty farty course she was doing and I duly obliged but this got me thinking…

As you do!

On the next trip to the river I collected a few pebbles of my own from a favourite swim and brought them home to accompany a bit of interesting looking driftwood which was still attached to my landing net after arriving home from a session way back last season and which had been lent up against the garage wall ever since.

Add a makeshift plinth created from an old offcut of pine wooden shelf and I had my entry for the Turner Art Prize without the need to saw a cow in half and being as I already had the stain and varnish it had cost me the equivalent of around 40p as I did have to buy some glue to ensure that it all bonded together nicely and nothing moved even when held upside down and believe me when I say it’s heavy… It’s heavy!

It’s simply entitled ‘Trent’ and considering the bellies of all those barbel which have brushed over it at times of higher water it’s worthy of living room status imo and certainly of the fifty or so quid which Habitat would likely have asked for such a fine collective of earth’s beauty back in the days when cream was the new beige but it will for now reside in the garage under The Angler’s Arms pub sign until I can further expand and accompany it with such pieces known as ‘Derwent’ and ‘Wye’.

I am so sorely tempted to add a few hooks, attached to severed line dangling from the branch along with a leger rig and a piece of varnished meat (or that readily available from motorway services without further treatment) but I’m also drawn to a maggot feeder resting up against the pebbles with a few rubber maggots scattered around.

What d’ya think…

Meat or maggots…

:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
It looks perfectly balanced as it is even to a philistine like wot I am.
Put it on ebay and buy a new rod on the profit?

barbelboi

Reaction score
What a waste Steve, a few minutes with a drill, superglue and some swivels you'd have a decent set of weights..............................

mikench

Reaction score
B****y hell Damian , I mean Steve, are there no limits to your talents!:)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What d’ya think…

Meat or maggots…

Sausages!...narrh you'd only be trying to eat 'em ;).

Looks great Steve :cool:. You could stick a fairy on top and use it for Crimbo ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel like one after posting that, it was originally intended to be my dirty secret :eek: :eek:mg: :D

Err, yeah, I can picture you now wearing your black (non fishing) polished waders and your marigolds as you impale the fairy :eek:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Leave it just at is Steve. Fifty quid??? Down here in Whitstable that sort of stuff sells for silly money, remember the Harry Enfield character, "I saw you coming" ? We've got all the "thicko's down here.

4D8870D0-0F0D-4AA3-A390-53C6E80BE713_zps674q5qka.jpg

bracket

Reaction score
binka. I have studied your creation thoroughly and in my considered, hard and sinister opinion, taking in account the aesthetic, progressive and surrealist aspects, all I can say is you are one delusionary, misguided sad b*****d. But rest assured, we are still on for the first week in August when we can commit that "work of art" to it's rightful place : on the deck of the Trent. That is my hope and your salvation. Pete :wh

B

binka

binka. I have studied your creation thoroughly and in my considered, hard and sinister opinion, taking in account the aesthetic, progressive and surrealist aspects, all I can say is you are one delusionary, misguided sad b*****d. But rest assured, we are still on for the first week in August when we can commit that "work of art" to it's rightful place : on the deck of the Trent. That is my hope and your salvation. Pete :wh

I knew I could rely on you when it comes to not mincing words Pete :D

flightliner

Reaction score
You'll be car sharing with your lady neighbour friend now on your way to college to join her on the "arty farty" course??.

B

binka

I'm off down Cornwall in a couple of weeks and I'm sizing up the Minack Theatre, I just need to work out how many gallons of varnish i'll need along with the size of the flatbed required to get it back up 'ere :)

Philip

Reaction score
Nice job.

I particularly like the fact you have gone to the trouble of creating a white blanket backdrop to fully show off its artistic majesty.

Stick a few spot lights on it, a ridiculous price tag like 8K & the promise to donate half to charity and I recon your on a winner. ;):D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice job.

I particularly like the fact you have gone to the trouble of creating a white blanket backdrop to fully show off its artistic majesty.

Stick a few spot lights on it, a ridiculous price tag like 8K & the promise to donate half to charity and I recon your on a winner. ;):D

Baggies being the chosen charity for the donation of HALF the coin !

Steve, you know the money will be spent wisely :wh :D.

shane99

Reaction score
As it happens The Mrs & me were discussing going natural in our fish tank on Saturday....