Free spool reels

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm after some free spool reels around 6000/7000 size but not a bank breaker any ideas ?

I seen the fox eos 7000 reels are they any good as the eos is there budget range I believe

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
You can get a Shimano 6000 st quite cheaply and they are fine in my experience Matt. I bought an Okuma Carbonite in a 2500/3000 size for £19 . It has 1bb but feels a smooth as any reel I have and I am always happy to use it. Have a look at the Okuma range in your preferred sizes!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I should of explained a bit better mike . A make like shimano , fox ,daiwa and the like and don't fancy any plastic reels . I think just look cheap like the shimano st do look a tad cheap

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Maybe that is why they are !!!!:) I don't agree by the way but then what do I know!;)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know that my dad had a shimano st reel and the baitrunner part failed not on just 1 reel but 2 , not sure what all parts are made from but expect some gears are plastic rather than Ali , bronze etc .

Fox eos 7000 you can get them for £39.99 with free delivery . Anyone used them ?

chrissh

Reaction score
read the google reports of the eos 7000 reels its not good... you don't have to spend megabuck on a shimano if you do your home work and shop around

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Chris I read the stratos was naff but from what I seem on google couldn't find too much on the eos . The only shimano 6000 baitrunners would find are the st or the xt and the xt was £80

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Oh yes the x Areos do look a lovley reel . I know they retail around £100 . Il keep eye out as after 2 . Thanks

smudger172

Reaction score
[QUOTE

Fox eos 7000 you can get them for £39.99 with free delivery . Anyone used them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Matt

I cant comment on the fox eos but if they are like other fox reels and i have had a few of them to my cost, i would avoid them like the plague.

SPRO make some tidy reels for the money.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Chris , i have stuck a watch on them . Would you say this size is balanced on a 1.5 12ft avon rod ?

I use 4000's on my feeder rods and seem fine , looked at 1000's but look way too big and heavy

chrissh

Reaction score
Chris , i have stuck a watch on them . Would you say this size is balanced on a 1.5 12ft avon rod ?

I use 4000's on my feeder rods and seem fine , looked at 1000's but look way too big and heavy

I use 4000 reels on both my Avon's 1.25 & 1.75 and they are nicely balanced
one reel is the 4000 X-Aero 4000FA BTXAR-4000FA baitrunner and the other is the Shimano Super GT 4000 RD Rear Drag - SUP4000GTRD both loaded with 8-12lb line ... the only 6000 size reel i have is use for winter piking ... i feel 6000 its is over the top on my avons (why do you want a 6000 size reel?)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
got recommended for the cranking power and quicker retrieve. the carp on one of the lakes i fish are zoo creatures very hard fighting frequently snap 8lb line so i have to use 12lb mainline and 10lb hooklink .

thats the only reason , il look into some 4000 bait runners then

Oh i use my avon rods for scaled down carp fishing as close in fishing on a small gravel pit carp go upto high 20's

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
The early Fox reels were notoriously unreliable and it's an image that'll take some shifting. When I asked about them in the local shop I was told not to bother. Ended up with some Wychwood Solace 10s, which are solid reels with an over-engineered feel and a great clutch. Now discontinued but still available here and there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=wychwood+solace+10

B

binka

I'm another critic of Fox reels, the ones I had were so ridiculously bad that they didn't deserve a second chance regardless of what they've brought out since.

Shabby build, fragile baitrunner levers which broke, baitrunner auto re-engage broke, spool broke, handles wouldn't tighten up properly and a horrible wobbly feel about the whole things after a little use.

Other than that they were fine :wh

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Something telling me to stay away from fox

mats

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Eos 700 and have been using them for tench bream chub & barbel for two seasons. I don't think they will last as long as some of my old Shimanos but I'm more than happy with their performance and they are a lot better than the earlier Fox reels mentioned. For the price I am very happy.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have got some shimano 4000's and must say I do like them due mainly how smooth the clutch is , prefer than my daiwa hands down .

Philip

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with a recent Okuma baitrunner. Its put me right off them. I should point out its one of the newer ones. I heard good things when they first came out.

Never had an issue with a Shimano

B

binka

If you're looking at anything up to a 5000 size have a look at the Daiwa Emcast BR Matt.

I really rate them for a reel that you should be able to pick up for £60 - £70 apiece. Very good drag, plenty of cranking power, smooth in operation and very robust.

Easily enough to cope with a carp that's got a chip on its shoulder.

There's very little difference in weight from the 3500 to the 5000 due to the only difference being the spool size (other than the 5000 which has a slightly wider rotor to accommodate the further increased spool size) and you get two metal spools too, single and double handles supplied as standard.

Additional spools are also readily available from Daiwa, IIRC I paid around £12.50 for mine.

I use all the sizes on my heavy Avon rod which is around 1.6lb tc and they all feel nicely balanced but that's subjective to the rod so just be aware although I can't see it feeling out of place.

I've used 'em for my winter pike fishing and lots of barbelling with no problems at all, I've put a couple of others on to them and they've been really pleased too.

A really good, robust and reliable workhorse imo and there's even a cheaper version with fewer bearings (Black Widow) if you don't want to stretch to the reasonably modest cost of the Emcasts...

Emcast BR | daiwasports.co.uk