Slipping and a sliding

sagalout

Reaction score
Fished the river this morning, bank wasn't to bad when I arrived but as the morning wore on the bank under my feet got progressively more slippery, now whilst I admit this is my fault due to the deluge of water running from me landing net as I processed the vast numbers of chub and single barbel I had, it made me think (an that ain't good coz I woz skivin off wen thay did finking at skool) there must be a simple way to make the bank saferer whilst you are fishing.

My thoughts so far:
Peg down a rubber door mat
Peg down a bit of dump sack (not that sort of dump sack Mr CC)
Buy (oh my god did I just say that out loud) a platform (penrose, rigger, etc)

Anyone got any thoughts or solutions. The dump sack's high on my list to start with coz I got several of those kicking around.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
quick dry cement?...sprinkle a little after you've landed a fish :)

B

binka

I've never found a solution to it and the mud really gets me down throughout the winter, the thing about rolling something out to act as a cover is that it's likely to be caked in crud on the underneath which ain't gonna be nice to carry back and put on the car.

A seat on a platform and don't move could be the answer, otherwise I think it's a case of fishing somewhere with platforms or conceding that it just goes with the territory.

Unless you can afford a gillie, maybe Lord Paul will lend you one of his? :)

john step

Reaction score
As I mentioned in the morning thread, I took a nasty tumble in the mud yesterday. I was lucky to come to a halt before a dunking.

I used to have a peg and a length of rope for the Tidal Thames at Richmond, as those made up cobble banks were lethal.

Like everyone else the mud can get me down. I sometimes think back to the Thames and its made up paths in the Kingston area until I remember the dog owners stick throwing antics and the cyclists, not to mention the nutty swan lady who insisted the whole of Kingston and Richmond was a swan sanctuary and I should not be fishing.

Just grin and bear it. The weather will change again in 5 minutes:wh

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Use natures matting, in winter i'll spend a few minutes throwing a few old rushes,grass and weed stems down, may mean the difference between having a slide and breaking/twisting something real bad. I got a rope and spike for fishing steep swims but haven't used them since twisting my ankle in the close season loading the car:eek:mg: A small hand trowel can be handy in your bag to dig out foot holds if it rains whilst you have been down the bank in what I call a 'bumslide' swim.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Fortunately for me, although on a diet and losing weight quite well, I'm still rotund enough to bounce.

As for the mud, how about using climbers crampons?

john step

Reaction score
Fortunately for me, although on a diet and losing weight quite well, I'm still rotund enough to bounce.

As for the mud, how about using climbers crampons?

Got some. Problem is remembering to take them:eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

The eccentricity of the landed gentry never ceases to amaze me; I blame inbreeding:rolleyes:

Like that McDonalds advert about saving money by cutting feet shaped carpet and gluing them to your shoes. Hey presto no need for fitted carpet.

Philip

Reaction score
You could try something like this...

philip-albums-misc-picture4656-boot.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Not much mud on commercials, I know it's of no use to river anglers but my boots stay clean.:D
Had my share of mud so enjoy the back garden mowed grass type of fishing from staging's where mud doesn't exist.

sagalout

Reaction score
But if I move back don't I just recreate the problem there and eventually end up in the middle of the field?

B

binka

How can small bits of cotton wool with a string attachment help stop......oh sorry you said crampons

Yes I read that into it too :D

Mind you...

If the adverts are to be believed once you buy a pack you'll soon be roller skating, hand gliding, being carried around on some else's shoulders and loads of other stuff you never did before.

I'm almost tempted but just like the classifieds it's not worth the insertion fee :eek: :D

robtherake

Reaction score
Those metal-studded rubber anti-slip gadgets for walking on snow and ice that fit over the sole of your boots might be worth a try?

sagalout

Reaction score
I think anything attached to the shoes will just dig the ground up and make it worse. I think when I go next I shall try a bit of dump sack pegged down like a ground sheet, free and simple (bit like me).