Putting shot on the line

mikench

Reaction score
More specifically no 8 shot; I lose more than I manage to put on ! Is there a sure fire way of putting them on?

In trotting float terms what are 12 no 4 or 10 no 4 meant to signify?

swizzle

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

It depends on the diameter of the line when trying to put the 8's on. If you are using something like 6lb Sensor as a hook link, the line maybe too thick for the shot to grip to. I have no problems in getting a number 8 shot to stay on a .12 bottom. I have tried it on the line I mentioned above and found the same problem as you.

I believe your other question is the quantity of shot needed to cock the float. That however can be adjusted by using more small shot or less big shot. I hope that helps.

rayner

Reaction score
10No4 or 12No4 relates to the number of size 4s the float will require to supposedly shot correctly.
Personally I never used No4s, No8 were always my choice of shot for trotting, in twos or threes. I also never had any problems putting them on lines.
Having said that reel lines were generally 2lb Maxima with a 1lb or 2lb Bayer perlon hooklength hooks were never bigger than a 20s for maggot.
It would not be a problem for me to put twenty even thirty No8s to line.

For applying shot to line I just gave them a squeeze with my finger and thumb then tighten them slightly with my teeth. I still do the same now with slot shot. I put them on with my teeth.

mikench

Reaction score
I was using a 2.5lb hook length , 0.10, and still struggled!:( I would normally being lazy just use the equivalent of larger shot which I can manage but one is not supposed to do this for presentation purposes!

No roach but skimmers and carp on maggot!!;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Puttin shot on line safely and secure is a real struggle with my ever so slightly arthritic fingers. I've taken to using olivettes whenever possible and use a Stotz for a number 8 dropper with the aid of forceps to close it. Getting it off is a bigger challenge:eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Jerry and use a similar little tool myself as well as Styl pliers.

In my match fishing days I'd spend many hours at home making up pole rigs and ensuring that all the splits on my shot were all in lie . . . . . yup, O.C.D. or what . . .

You don't need to crimp the shot onto the lines so firmly that you cannot move it up or down as needs be . . . and if you pinch it on too hard you are in danger of it damaging fine lines . . . .

trotter2

Reaction score
Number 8 shot in standard form would and have always been difficult to nip tight on the line.
The best way is to use Stotz you will fine it far easier.

iain t

Reaction score
I don't use any under No4. Not only can't i see them properly but with fat fingers i can't grip them. So my drop shot is always a No 4

trotter2

Reaction score
Was it not Richard walker who said you need nothing smaller than a bb shot :D;)

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Mike, it's not just you who has the no.8 problems. A few years ago no.8 shot were all lead, slightly misshapen and soft, closed easily and gripped. When your tub got older, the grey shot oxidised and became greyish white. When you put them on, they stayed put.

Most no.8's that I've seen lately are hard, black, perfectly spherical, don't oxidise and appear to be some much harder compound. You can squeeze them on and find they're gone next time you look to check why your float isn't shotted properly. I've stopped buying them.

Like others, I've gone over to using Stotz or similar in no.8, 10, 12.
These are like tiny sections of lead wire cut along the side and fixed on the line with a tool sold with them. They stay on, even on thickish line, and what's more they slide easily, allowing you to move them around to change your presentation without damaging your line.

I got interrupted between writing and sending, so you've probably read all this by now from OP's.

mikench

Reaction score
Kev you amazed me with your shotting abilities when we went fishing for tench! Yesterday I tried to emulate you in trying for roach. I had stocked up with no 8 shot and carried them in a bait bucket ; I have two left!:rolleyes:

I wasn't prepared to spend all afternoon putting shot on the line!;)

Cheers Kev

B

binka

I seem to break all the rules when it comes to putting shot on hooklinks and somehow, most likely through luck rather than judgement, I always seem to get away with it.

I'm fine with no.8's but smaller can often be a faff and though I've said it before fluorocarbon really lends itself to having shot attached to it without damaging it in any way.

I was suffering no.8's pinging off of 5.6lb flouro and so I just started biting it on, it made no difference at all apart from it stopped pinging off every time I caught a fish and I was still able to move it around without damaging the hooklink :D

Richox12

Reaction score
A few years ago no.8 shot were all lead, slightly misshapen and soft, closed easily and gripped. When your tub got older, the grey shot oxidised and became greyish white. When you put them on, they stayed put.

Most no.8's that I've seen lately are hard, black, perfectly spherical, don't oxidise and appear to be some much harder compound.

Blimey. What make or brand of No 8 are you using ?? I have never seen a No 8 shot which ISN'T lead. The problem with Oxidised shot is that they become rough and badly damage the line when you move them. When they oxidise (and often the slit closes up anyway) throw them away and buy new.

rayner

Reaction score
A trick I used for applying small shot when my cataracts were getting worse was to use double sided tape to hold the shot and trap the line in the shot, then close with an appropriate tool.

That was at home when I made my rigs up. It would be trickier to cope with on the bank, it would still be possible to manage on the bank I'm sure.
Thankfully I can manage now my eyes are back to normal.

nottskev

Reaction score
Blimey. What make or brand of No 8 are you using ?? I have never seen a No 8 shot which ISN'T lead. The problem with Oxidised shot is that they become rough and badly damage the line when you move them. When they oxidise (and often the slit closes up anyway) throw them away and buy new.

It's hard to disagree with a poster without sounding bumptious, but it's not impossible. ;)

Since you asked, I checked the pots of size 8 and smaller shot that I've thrown into the "emergencies only" drawer. They include Maver, ZLT and Preston. All answer the description of black, hard, round and shiny, not soft enough to be squeezed on easily, and quick to come off. And I'm far from the only angler who prefers grey no.8 shot when they can find it, or who acknowledges that even famous brands put out shot of variable quality.

The bit of oxidation you get on soft grey shot has never been a problem.

Richox12

Reaction score
It's hard to disagree with a poster without sounding bumptious, but it's not impossible. ;)

Since you asked, I checked the pots of size 8 and smaller shot that I've thrown into the "emergencies only" drawer. They include Maver, ZLT and Preston. All answer the description of black, hard, round and shiny, not soft enough to be squeezed on easily, and quick to come off. And I'm far from the only angler who prefers grey no.8 shot when they can find it, or who acknowledges that even famous brands put out shot of variable quality.

The bit of oxidation you get on soft grey shot has never been a problem.

Yes, you're right. We think the same then.

However, I wasn't disagreeing I was gobsmacked and asking a question. I haven't used Maver but have used ZLT (uncoated/painted and grey not black and actually very soft for those I have bought & used) and Preston's (coated blue) which were fine. I have used lots of Sensas green coated shot and many were soft & good to use. But as with Preston's (not ZLT) they were very variable with some tubs hard (too hard to actually use) others soft. It's a case of finding some acceptable shot and just buying it and not risking the next tub or batch being radically different. It must be the Antimony content being too high as you'd only need 1% or less. .

I haven't found or seen any very soft lead shot for decades. Sqeezing small lead shot on with fingers is a no no no now. In the past you could get even No 8 and No 10 off the line (with teeth mind but without having to resort to any tool) and now it's nigh on impossible.

The best I have found to date are Italian Ballabini. I wonder how long it'll be before they change.

Simple thing, for getting the shot onto the line, and assuming the cut is deep enough and the line is the correct diameter (too many try and get small shot on thick lines), is locate the slot, insert the line, press it on via Jewellery pliers or your teeth (!!) and SLIDE the line through the shot as you sqeeze. That way you don't compress that portion of line and the shot will slide easily thereafter. If you sqeeze shot into the exact place it will flatten the line and be almost impossible to move.