Fishing overtrousers

mikench

Reaction score
I have a bib and brace but it is far too warm for the summer months. Can anyone recommend a set of lightweight , breathable and waterproof overtrousers which do not restrict movement unduly.

Vass do a set which look fine and I know that walking and golfing trousers will do just as well. I want a set which fold up and can be kept in my quiver/bag for those sudden downpours or persistent drizzle you barely notice when having fun!:rolleyes:

trotter2

Reaction score
Find your nearest army surplus and get some army gortex trousers they will last you years mate.

mikench

Reaction score
I have found that the SAS surplus are a little on the short side for the manly and fuller figure:rolleyes:

iain t

Reaction score
I have a pair of Columbia light weight ski trousers. Not padded but do have mesh lining. They are made of Gortex, so are breathable and waterproof. Being for Skiing they have strengthened panels in the seat and knees. They also have zipped air vents on the legs. Not cheap to buy but well worth it. I can wear them all day without sweating even in summer months. I have been in them in the worst weather and kept me dry.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I like THESE for summer - not drench proof but water repellent and light enough to keep on all the time...........

There's a description if you scroll down the page............

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Find your nearest army surplus and get some army gortex trousers they will last you years mate.

I still have and use the pair I bought around '98. I paid around £20-25 which at the time I thought was pretty expensive, I was a poor student, but now think was incedible value for money.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I carry a pair of Berghaus Over Trousers in my bag simply because they roll up dead small (with a bit of practice!) and no weight at all. Easy to put on with good outer zips running down the full length of the leg and they are lined. I've even worn them in wet summer weather instead of trousers for walking, but they do sweat a bit under such conditions.
Not cheap, but they do last a lifetime, especially as they are only worn as a last resort. Not too bad when wading through long, wet grassy stuff that soaks normal trousers. They do a job, though....................

ps What Jerry suggests also pretty good. Craghoppers really do last forever and available lined as well, but I think more a trouser than an over trouser?? That's a question.
I have used them for walking for donkeys years and although they eventually fade in colour and start to look a bit tatty, they don't actually wear out. I have old pairs of the light jobbies for gardening and decorating et al.......................
Very good value, but worth checking for the correct size in a shop before buying online at half the price, as they come in various leg lengths.

theartist

Reaction score
Fishing overtrousers isn't the best I always find a clean gravel bottom less snaggy :D

Sorry couldn't help that one, back in the day I used my post office overtrousers which were really good, maybe worth asking a postie if they still do them and if one will fly off the shelf for you ;) They were Goretex i'm sure and you could sit on a wet bank in them all day.

naxian62

Reaction score
Mikench, Do Not buy the Vass ones, they ain't waterproof! I complained to Vass directly, they couldn't even be bothered to reply. I've also had Berghaus Deluge and they were hopeless too, but at least I got a full refund on those.
These days I'm just suffering through the rain, keep telling myself to get down the army surplus place. Good luck.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have found that the SAS surplus are a little on the short side for the manly and fuller figure:rolleyes:

Mike, the military ones do come in a huge range of sizes and also have three measurements to go off...hips, length and waist.

Remember they are designed to go over existing clothing so will be on the larger size so as to accommodate the size stated while clothed...if you get my meaning.
The only draw back with them is they don't roll up super small like some of the hiking gear. I think they are much more robust than the hiking stuff though.

If I know i'm going to be sat on the bank during my fishing trip and it looks like rain i'll take my brolly. If i'm out roving or trotting I wear my thigh waders and if it looks like rain "and I remember or can be bothered to" I take a lightweight wading jacket. The only bit of me that can get wet wearing the two items is the bit showing between the top of my waders and the bottom of my jacket.

greenie62

Reaction score
....The only bit of me that can get wet wearing the two items is the bit showing between the top of my waders and the bottom of my jacket.

Too much information, tigger! Don't want to think about it!:eek::rolleyes::D

Colin Willock recommended a pair of 'rompers' - made from an old pair of m/c overtrousers - cut off at the knee - which slipped-on over his waders and pulled up above the waist underneath his jacket. These kept him dry when sitting or kneeling on the bank as well as causing a downpour to stream-off over his waders.

john step

Reaction score
For summer use I always have a nylon Cagoule and nylon overtrousers rolled up small with me.
Sweaty yes, waterproof yes. Do I rip them and replace them very cheaply about every two years ,yes.
Does it matter when I get them covered in mud and they need rinsing,no:)

Marker

Reaction score
I use army surplus goretex trousers, as has been said, they will last years;)

mikench

Reaction score
I have ordered some cheap Regatta overtrousers to see if I can get on with them! I will report back and at £10 I cannot come to much harm. Thanks to all for your helpful comments:)