Whats so special about this line

iain t

Reaction score
Digging through my line cupboard i found a line that is Mono coated with fluorocarbon. What's so special about this line. Make unknown as the spool sticker is half torn off. It is a bulk 1000m spool in 10lb. Don't really care about the make. Does the fluro coating give it a better abrasion or sinking rate?. Or is it all just a gimmick.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fluro coated mono is supposed to cast easier, being relatively non-friction, lays better on the lake bed thanks to the fluro sinking qualities, and a greater degree of abrasion resistance and some say it is more supple than 100% fluro.

iain t

Reaction score
OK. So maybe it's not a gimmick then. Do many companies sell this type of line as i know mono and fluro but not mixed together. Can't be that expensive as i wouldn't have bought it in the first place

sam vimes

Reaction score
A few companies did these hybrid lines. The theory being that you'd get a dollop of the good properties of both. Fluoro supposedly bringing good sinking and invisibility to the party. Whether reality matches the theory/marketing is another matter entirely.

iain t

Reaction score
Not Krystonite. The spool label is dark green with what looks like highlighted red writing from what's left of it. I'll load it up for my next ledging session on Tuesday to see if it makes a difference.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That sounds like it might could be an Ultima line. They have done a few fluoro coated monos over the years.

mikench

Reaction score
Send me 100 metres or so and I will test drive it for you Iain! If it catches bream it's got to be good!:rolleyes:

Philip

Reaction score
I think Shimano made one relativly recently. The claim.was its brought the advantages of both braid and mono together..the fluro leading to controlled streach, sinks well, invisable etc etc etc.

Never used it so cant say first hand how good it is/was