Week in Ullswater - Lake District

tomino2112

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to be in a cottage right beside Ullswater for a week. I would like to try and catch something there. From what I could find online there should be good head of perch and brown trout.

Unfortunately I do not know how to fly fish nor have the time to learn (going this Saturday).

What would be other techniques I can use to catch something? Can I have some luck with spinning lures? Should I go deep or should I try shallows? Any other tips?

I will be fishing from bank, boat is not an option this time.

Thanks!

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi. I can't help with Ullswater, but there's some very good, accessible fishing a few miles south at a lake called Esthwaite Water just below Hawkshead. You can fish from some beautiful pegs with parking behind and plenty of roach, perch, bream(and trout) on float or feeder.

The Runner

Reaction score
Ullswater is full of perch so should be able to catch well spinning. Plenty of trout as well as a very rare species of whitefish (Schelly) which is only found in two other places.
Problem you might have though is access, there are only a few areas where there's public access to the lake shore on the West side and these are likely to be very busy- early mornings and late evenings likely to be your best bet.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Ullswater is full of perch so should be able to catch well spinning. Plenty of trout as well as a very rare species of whitefish (Schelly) which is only found in two other places.
Problem you might have though is access, there are only a few areas where there's public access to the lake shore on the West side and these are likely to be very busy- early mornings and late evenings likely to be your best bet.

any tips on lures for perch? bait for trout? only available time will be late evening so should be fine with access.

any ideas what attracts Schelly?

The Runner

Reaction score
Long long time since I fished it but always used to go with waggler or maggot feeder rather than lures. Most of the perch we used to get were 4 to 6 oz
Never actually saw a schelly- I think they stay out in the deepest areas of the lake so very unlikely to catch one (in any event I think they could be a protected species so maybe not an idea to specifically target them)

greenie62

Reaction score
Take a big box of worms with you - they'll get any of the mentioned species! - and tackle shops with bait are rare up there!

Try a sliding float to cope with varying depths - maybe paternostering the hook length off the bottom. Bread can work well on the same rig as well.

Hope you have a good time - let us know.
Tight Lines:thumbs:

tomino2112

Reaction score
Definitely some Perch over here ! :)

I am yet to catch something else, but I dont have my hopes too high. Perch seem to be the main sport here

cMRC9ZW.jpg