Peejay Sodafloats - any practical experience?

geoffw

Reaction score
Just wonder if any members here have tried out this innovative float?
I tried mine last week. I was using pellet waggler at about 15" deep, catching with 8mm pellets over catapulted 6mm/8mm pellets.
Swapped over to Sodafloat loaded with 4/5 of the same feed pellets, again at 15". It worked OK and I caught fish on it. I was surprised that some bites were missed. I expected the bites to be self hooking.
Anyhow, only tried for about half an hour or so but it did work as described.
When I got home, I tried an experiment by putting the hook bait inside the float with the feed pellets and dropping into a cylinder of water. Five out of five times the hook bait released with the feed pellets.
Has anyone else tried this float - if so, how did you get on?

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Yes, I have used them and they work really well with dry feed and once I worked out what consistency to mix it to, it delivers my home made corn custard brilliantly and much further out than I usually use it.

Your thoughts about putting the hook in the feeder is interesting. I am not sure about that myself. For me I want the feed to attract the fish and the hook-bait to follow it down with the last remnants of the feed, not to just sink with the rest. I may be completely wrong but if I am missing something, please let me know as I am as new to this style of float, and fishing, as everyone else.

Ralph.

Last edited:

geoffw

Reaction score
The idea of tucking the bait into the float is to be able to cast closer to the far bank or a snag.
I'm off to Skegness for the weekend on Friday so will try again.

Yes, I have used them and they work really well with dry feed and once I worked out what consistency to mix it to, it delivers my home made corn custard brilliantly and much further out than I usually use it.

Your thoughts about putting the hook in the feeder is interesting. I am not sure about that myself. For me I want the feed to attract the fish and the hook-bait to follow it down with the last remnants of the feed, not to just sink with the rest. I may be completely wrong but if I am missing something, please let me know as I am as new to this style of float, and fishing, as everyone else.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks Geoff, I see what you are up to now. Have a good time in Skegness, one of my favorite seaside towns.

Ralph.

geoffw

Reaction score
Ralph,
Have you found the bits to be self hooking, or did you need to strike?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Ralph,
Have you found the bits to be self hooking, or did you need to strike?

So far, they do seem to self-hook but I have only been catching F1's. I did lose one on my first session because the takes were much more violent than I had expected and I was only using 6lb line.

I now use 8lb line and a longer hook length (18 inches instead of 10-12 inches) of the same breaking strain, which seems to work.

I have only used it on three sessions so far. the first one was a learning curve and both the other sessions were very successful. Pellets or maggots seem to be the best and easiest bait to use. I found that just a few (six or seven) maggots worked well and I was getting bites within seconds of landing. With more maggots it still works well bit it can take 15 - 20 seconds!

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So far, they do seem to self-hook but I have only been catching F1's. I did lose one on my first session because the takes were much more violent than I had expected and I was only using 6lb line.

I now use 8lb line and a longer hook length (18 inches instead of 10-12 inches) of the same breaking strain, which seems to work.

I have only used it on three sessions so far. the first one was a learning curve and both the other sessions were very successful. Pellets or maggots seem to be the best and easiest bait to use. I found that just a few (six or seven) maggots worked well and I was getting bites within seconds of landing. With more maggots it still works well bit it can take 15 - 20 seconds!

Ralph.

I wouldn't recommend using the same bs for the hooklength as the main line Ralph, good chance of losing more floats. Soften off the clutch a bit, that may help with the violent takes.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
That is a very clever solution to the feeder float.

I hope that he does really well with it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend using the same bs for the hooklength as the main line Ralph, good chance of losing more floats. Soften off the clutch a bit, that may help with the violent takes.

Sorry, very badly written by me, what I meant to say was the hook length is the same breaking strain as before (6lb), and yes, I have started backing off the clutch a bit more lately... Thanks :). Up until recently I have been relying on heavy gear to just haul 'em in. After two and a half years of experience I think I am eventually learning how to fish...

...Long way to go yet.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never caught a F1 and never plan to but 8lb line seems a tad heavy for such a fish.