Pin users

iain t

Reaction score
OK, Center pin reels are a traditional way of float fishing but have any of you tried feeder/method or chucking a weight for Carp. Just thinking there must be other ways of using a pin.

B

binka

Yes, I often use mine close in with a small bomb up to around two or three rod lengths out.

I would happily use it with the feeder but the way I loop the line off the first two or three rings doesn't lend itself as the feeder would have to be resting on the ground (in the water) whilst I do this unless I could work out a faff of doing it with the baited feeder on my lap.

I think by that time I would just get the fixed spool reel out but I do enjoy using the 'pin with the bomb.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used my pins for both float and leger fishing with both lead and feeders.

I don't think I've ever used one for spinning . . . not even in my yooof . . . .

As long as you don't have to cast extra long distances then you can use a pin for almost any method . . . . . . spinning excepted.

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks, chaps. Just after i wrote this i realised i also use mine for ledgering as well as floating. I've been using my pins so much lately that am all fingers and thumbs with a fixed reel now. Going to pop into a small Stillwater to target Carp first thing before heading for the river. Will only need a 1.1/5 to 2oz lead as the island is only about 20ft away. Will be using my 1.5tc Avon as i feel i will have more control with that one more than my usual 1.25tc Avon.

B

binka

I'm surprised more zander anglers don't use 'pins, where practicable for distance reasons, for their ability to free run line with barely any resistance or increased weight on the bait.

I have read a couple of blogs with anglers that are, if I can find them again I will post up the links.

I was looking back through the albums on my laptop and I don't think there's anything I've not caught on the 'pin that I've caught on a fixed spool, including pike, zander and eels.

iain t

Reaction score
Got loads of funny looks when i use a swing tip from the youngsters.Well anyone under 45. Now they will be even more confused with me using a pin for Carp.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm surprised more zander anglers don't use 'pins, where practicable for distance reasons, for their ability to free run line with barely any resistance or increased weight on the bait.

I've never been in a location where Z's are present Steve but I would assume, if their characteristics are similar to perch that a pin would be ideal. I also believe that perch are not resistance 'shy' but don't like a change in resistance - i.e. I've had no problems using a baitrunner on sessions on the Kennet years ago when I spent more time persuing them.

iain t

Reaction score
The only place ive caught Zander was Berry Hill in Dorking. They're not in any of the waterways near me.

B

binka

I've never been in a location where Z's are present Steve but I would assume, if their characteristics are similar to perch that a pin would be ideal. I also believe that perch are not resistance 'shy' but don't like a change in resistance - i.e. I've had no problems using a baitrunner on sessions on the Kennet years ago when I spent more time persuing them.

That's pretty much how I understand it Jerry, a constant as opposed to variable resistance being fine.

In fairness I've experienced both when zander fishing, I've had dropped runs at the slightest bit of resistance and I've had 'em whizzing off against a baitrunner as happy as a sand boy and I'm not entirely convinced that the resistance thing, either constant or variable, is the main factor for dropped runs but whilst I'm short of an alternative answer I keep things as light and as free as I can get.

If I can crack that theory and counter whatever other reason is to blame then I reckon I've got some good sessions on the cards this winter but I won't hold my breath :)

mikench

Reaction score
I'll put a note in the diary for November ish- Zander with that absolutely marvellous bloke from East Mids!:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
So what advantage does a pin offer the Zander angler that a free running rig and a properly set bait runner doesn't ? Bragging rights ?

My zandering as you know is restricted to Bury Hill and though I often fish a bait within pin range I wouldn't dream of doing so as I can't see the point. Different on running water perhaps but even so I think using a pin for Zander or pike is just making things unnecessarily complicated.

Can't honestly see the point. And resistance is not the only thing Zander don't like. They can be very rig cute and exceptionally picky baitwise too in my experience. Very enigmatic fish but a proper challenge and we'll worth the effort. I think !

B

binka

So what advantage does a pin offer the Zander angler that a free running rig and a properly set bait runner doesn't ? Bragging rights ?

Who said anything about an advantage and why would anyone want to brag about catching a zander on the 'pin? :confused:

I gave my reasoning for their use in the earlier post, we're worlds apart on the type of waters we fish and much of my zandering is done very close in and even right off the tip of a powerful 15' float rod.

The only problem I do have is that I don't have enough 'pins to be able to use them often enough for zander without faffing about changing the line.

Otherwise I would use them by preference for no other reason than I enjoy using them :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Calm down lad.

You implied that a pin might offer less resistance to a taking zander. That in turn suggests a pin offers an advantage over a fs spool. I was merely disagreeing. I don't see that the type of reel makes a blind bit of difference in terms of whether Captain Zander picks the bait up and keeps hold of it.

Now....if we are talking bout the pure enjoyment of using a pin that is an entirely different matter. I still don't think it's worth it but on running water maybe . I love using a pin too but for me a pin is about fishing with a tad more finesse......not lobbing big baits about. It's why I rarely use a pin when barbel fishing unless I am literally right under me rod tip. I've had a few cautions from the Barbel Police but I don't care.

By all means use your pin if it gives you pleasure. I just think that in this sort of application that pleasure will be diminished and a fs is a better choice. But it's the presentation that matters to Mr Z.....not what gear you are using.

A lot of my zandering is done after dark and I wouldn't dream of using a pin at night. There lies madness.

B

binka

Calm down lad.

You implied that a pin might offer less resistance to a taking zander. That in turn suggests a pin offers an advantage over a fs spool.

Morning Skip...

Ok this is exactly what I wrote and what I think you are referring to and which is obviously open to some level of ambiguity...

For what it's worth that is a stand alone comment in respect of the free running of a 'pin and its suitability in certain circumstances, there's no comparison with a fs reel or even the implication of one.

Are we all happy now? :D

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Steve if you feel the need to go shopping for a pin and need a like minded soul to accompany you................!:)

trotter2

Reaction score
I used to feeder fish with mine. It takes some getting used to casting such a heavy weight on a pin. Never done it for years I would have to learn it again if I decided to give it another go. A fixed spool is far better IMO.

B

binka

Steve if you feel the need to go shopping for a pin and need a like minded soul to accompany you................!:)

Many thanks for the kind offer Mike.

The trend of my spend is very much in reverse thrust at the moment I'm afraid, although I'm easily swayed by a bargain :)

Reaction score
I was shown by Mark Todd(former member of FM)a way of casting with a pin,you start the reel spinning and as you do so pull the line between your thumb and forefinger straight out from the reel face with the handles,the line comes off like a fixed spool,it is best practiced in the garden with a three quarters of an ounce bomb first,underarm is best,but....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A number of centrepins were designed for spinning; off the top of my head the Hardy Silex and the Allcock's Aerial to name but two. The modern fad for using 'pins for just about everything reverses a trend that had seen their virtual extinction by the early 1970s although I fail to see any advantage in using one for 90% of my own fishing which is mainly float fishing.