What is this little fellow?

fishplate42

Reaction score
While fishing our local river today, I caught this little fellow it has a couple of spines on its back and one each side. Can someone tell me what it is?

34943415324_16e221a897_c.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy picture.

Ralph. :confused:

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't caught one since a nipper but I'd say that was a stickleback Ralph.

iain t

Reaction score
It's a male Stickleback. That takes me back 50 years. Used to catch them in those little kids nets

Philip

Reaction score
Yes its a Stickleback and a 3 spined one by the looks...there will be a 3rd smaller spine just before the dorsal fin on its back.

Nice little fish, real characters, they are very territorial. They can actually live in fresh or salt water. A very interesting little fish.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Wow! Great fun, I never caught them as a kid, or if those were what we used to catch in jam jars, I don't remember them looking like that. He was a feisty little fellow, he swallowed a whole maggot on a 16 hook. I had to dig out my tiny disgorger, but he was okay, it came out easily.

Thanks guys, I could get to like this river fishing lark.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A pb Ralph! Was that the extent of today's catch?

rich66

Reaction score
Bit jealous now, I've never caught a stickleback on rod & reel
In fact not see a stickleback for a few years now

B

binka

A rare sight in my neck of the woods these days.

The town centre dam which I fished yesterday was stuffed with 'em when I was a kid up until the point when chub were introduced, they cleared 'em out like a dose of wild fire which I always think is pretty amazing considering their spines.

I would certainly be pleased to see one these days if only for the novelty...

fishplate42

Reaction score
A pb Ralph! Was that the extent of today's catch?

Yes my PB stickleback.

No, in an hour and a half or so I has several species. First out was an decent chubling about 8 inches long! then small roach, perch and of course a stickleback!

I am writing the story up for the blog at the moment it should be up tonight.

Ralph.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

A rare sight in my neck of the woods these days.

The town centre dam which I fished yesterday was stuffed with 'em when I was a kid up until the point when chub were introduced, they cleared 'em out like a dose of wild fire which I always think is pretty amazing considering their spines.

I would certainly be pleased to see one these days if only for the novelty...

Bit jealous now, I've never caught a stickleback on rod & reel
In fact not see a stickleback for a few years now

I am fairly sure there were lots of them in the small river we fished today as I could see lots of small black fish toying with the bread bait we were using as feed.

Ralph.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
That picture brought back some memories.
When i was about 7 or 8 we used to fish a very small stream near to where i lived and used to catch sticklebacks and another fish which we just called a robin red breast which was also a small fish.
It may seem like a cliche now but we did used to fish with a twig,cotton and bent pin or just a small net which you could get from a pet shop.
God i feel old now.:)
If memory serves there was also a fish called a stoneloach.
How anything lived in the steam i will never know as it sometimes used to have an orange colour to it.
Happy days though.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
London's Regents Park canal used to be stuffed with them back in the late 50's. Never could understand how something so small managed to give a perfect roach bite with float gradually sliding away. As someone else said, they make a mess of a single maggot and very frustrating once in the swim!

Certainly stroppy little bu**ers and a 1lb specimen could have ben interesting!

Lovely colours during breeding, from memory

B

binka

When i was about 7 or 8 we used to fish a very small stream near to where i lived and used to catch sticklebacks and another fish which we just called a robin red breast which was also a small fish.

Lovely colours during breeding, from memory

You beat me too it Tony, the breeding colour being one and the same fish that many also knew as Robin Red Breasts.

They were quite stunning when they developed that colour but aggressive little buggers for their size...

25s30hy.jpg

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I didn't know about them being the same fish.
Thanks for the info lads.
You learn something new everyday.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information on my little fish - I had no idea that was what it was. I am pretty sure the small fish we used to catch in jam jars as a kid did not look like that, but we called all small fish 'sticklebacks' or rather my Mum and Dad did...

...none of my family were interested in fishing, and that included me as a kid.

That is what makes this place a pleasure to be a member of. I learnt something today.

Ralph.

rayner

Reaction score
Used to spend hours as kids fishing for sticklebacks and even smaller perch in a pond that was inches deep in the margin. Good memories.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Used to spend hours as kids fishing for sticklebacks and even smaller perch in a pond that was inches deep in the margin. Good memories.

Me too . . . many a summer holiday day was spent wit my grandparents who loved close to Mitcham Ponds.

A net a jam jar and a whole day catching those little beauties was pretty typical back in the 50's

Until today I never knew that they were a euryhaline species though.