Water Licked

B

binka

Often pronounced 'watterlicked' in these parts and used to describe what the general word for these days is a 'blank'.

I've not heard 'water licked' or other pronunciations of the same thing for donkeys years, anyone else familiar with the phrase?

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Yes mate it's was a common saying from my part of the world (south Yorkshire)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Heard the phrase in the dim and distant past but like Binka, not for donkey's...I couldn't say where, or if it was used by someone from northern climes.

A 'blank' says it all for me.............Ugly word, though!

skov

Reaction score
Yes! I remember that being a common phrase in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire area some 30 odd years ago.

B

binka

Thanks fellas, I was beginning to think I had dreamt it after a conversation in my local tackle shop recently was met with vacant stares when the phrase came up.

I ought to know for sure really, it happened to me often enough back in the days when the phrase was more commonly used.

'Happened often enough back in the days' lol...

Who am I kidding?

It ain't such a stranger these days! :eek:mg:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
No you're definitely not dreaming Steve. From my earliest days of fishing, and that's a long time ago now, the bog standard answer among all the South Yorkshire anglers for blanking would have been ''water licked''. The expression was used in a derogatory way, to signify a failure, often accompanied with a huff and a puff.

thecrow

Reaction score
Not something I have heard before but the word? watter is something that I sometimes use as is frezz for frozen, maybe it was from my dad who was from Yorkshire, another word that comes to mind is oss instead of horse there must be lots of terms/sayings that are peculiar to different parts of the country.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Watter licked?

Must be a northern saying . . . .

Down here it would be more like,

"well old boy, the sun was high, the levels were low and the chances of piscatorial success were rather limited . . don't you know"

;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
One of those expressions that was more common in angling literature/the angling press than on the bank methinks.Bit like gentles though I know there are still a few around that refer to maggots as gentles. To me a maggit has always been a maggit.

To be water or waterlicked has always been "blanked" to me.....or to suffer a Serge ( as in Blanco). Target number 1 when me and the Big Feller are out is always to avoid the ignominy of a " double Serge".