Angling ephemera

flightliner

Reaction score
I have had these old pre war licences for a few years now along with some old angling association books of the same age--

They make fascinating reading /scrutiny for any angler.
I do like the one dated 1939 and 40 as it gives some insight of the old Sheffield anglers thoughts--- "up yours Adolph, I'm going fishing!!! :)
I should have mentioned that my little collection also includes liceces for the Trent, lincolnshire and what I can only describe as an extremely rare "Black sluice" liscence for the forty foot drain that runs from around Bourne and Bosten also in Lincolnshire ( Be interesting to know why this waterway needed a seperate liscence?? )

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a air few of the old style licences in a shadow box coffee table in my sitting room too.

Mostly for the old days when you had to but separate licences for different river catchments before the national licence came into being.

In the same box are an old split cane swing tip, a Lesney Bread Press and all sorts of older bits and pieces.

Oh, and a few older centre pin reels as well.

ken more

Reaction score
Using a converter I found on google it would be £63 today, maybe we don't get such a bad deal after all :D

Wish i had 1/6d left let alone £63 quid, once my Dearest Morticia has got her hands on it:) Makes Mrs Bucket look like a free thinking Anarchist. (heard the in a song once and liked it lots):w:D

Also meant to ask, is 1/6 not like a penny and six other wee things like farthings or something? I'm only 50 odd,so i'm almost totally decimal now:D

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
1/6 is one shilling and sixpence, or 7and a 1/2 p in new money.

flightliner

Reaction score
The current licence is clearly a bargain!
This particular angler was in possession of a Yorkshire, Trent, and Lincolnshire license at the time so on Grahams reckoning he shelled out £189 to fish in one year.
Makes the presant licence a steal and that excludes him buying his association books on top!!

Last edited:

ken more

Reaction score
Did a little google stuff and found 1/6d at about £3.23, which seems more realistic although still expensive,to me anyway. £60 odd quid was house deposit stuff surely:confused:

P.S. Not trying to burst anyones balloon here by the way.

Last edited: