Pole elastic trouble

jm_12593

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have fished red hydrolastic on my (now deceased) MAP TKS 225 for many years and have landed plenty of decent carp with relative ease, but after a recent session have been contemplating whether I have been fishing it set too tight. Long story short, I was fishing the margins of an average sized mixed fishery last weekend where the average size carp is 5-8lb with a good head of doubles and a smattering of twenties to 28lb. Now, I'd managed 3 doubles in this session to 11lb 3oz which I'd landed fairly comfortably when I hooked something rather large! It bottomed out my red hydro and something had to give, unfortunately it was my no.4 section (fortunately I managed to grab it before it disappeared into the water). I retrieved the rig to find the hook straightened. Admittedly I wasn't fast enough adding sections but this stormed off at some pace. So it got me thinking, if the elastic was set looser would the fish have pulled so hard? Would it stretch further? Or is it worth fishing a lighter elastic that would stretch further? Unfortunately MAP no longer make spare sections so I've upgraded to a beastmaster pole which hopefully will allow me to pull a bit more without the top of the pole resembling a fully bent rod. However, it also got me thinking, if I'd hooked this fish at full length and it had bottomed out the elastic, how can you stop it breaking your pole?

Apologies for the very long post but this has been bugging me all week! Appreciate any help on any of the above points!!

Cheers

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Red hydro is designed to catch lumps, sounds like you had it set too tight.
When you hook a munter the best action to take is to submerge the tip of your topkit under water, this will cut down the resistance on the elastic and the fish won't pull so hard. I dare say your no 4 section was already damaged slightly for it to break so easily.

jm_12593

Reaction score
I was using Preston Reflo 0.21 (8lb 15oz) straight through, perhaps I should use a hooklength to create a weak point where the possibility of a monster is not too slim!
Thanks for the advice peter! I always keep the pole tip low but will definitely submerge it from now on. I think on the beastmaster I'll use red hydrolastic again but set a lot looser and on a side pulla (I've never used one before but they seem all the rage these days). Thanks for the help so far guys!

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't have huge experience of that type of fishing, but I'd guess the type/tightness of the elastic depends on the nature of the water. If you can let the fish go in clear water, then bring them back with a puller set-up, that does seem to be the match angler's method, and they should know.
But you may need to keep them out of snags, stop them disappearing round corners etc, and then you can't afford the luxury of the softer "don't pull too hard, it just prompts them to pull back harder" approach.
I have a Beastmaster margin pole, and it is reassuringly strong. But when I go specifically to catch big margin fish - a nice thing to do on a summer evening, when the fisheries are often quieter - I choose to fish an Avon rod and a centrepin, and it saves me worrying about which elastic etc as sometimes I don't know what to do for the best in that regard.

jm_12593

Reaction score
Hi peter, I have the power top two elasticated!
Kev, that is a good point, it's all venue dependent I suppose, the problem I had was stopping it getting round a corner! I need to find the optimum point of tension, so as not to make it pull too hard but be able to stop it getting into snags etc! But it is very reassuring knowing that you have complete faith in the beastmaster! On this particular venue I was fishing, I had the bait completely under a tree, although only a few tips of branches entered the water, if that makes any sense whatsoever! Therefore ideal for placing the bait into position with the pole. Plus the presentation it provides makes it even better! I guess I could always use a pole cup to 'cast' and then have the best of both worlds! Cheers for the ideas, it's whetting my appetite to go and make amends ?