What ever happened to?

steve2

Reaction score
Never hear anything about the carp fisheries of yesteryear, What happened to fisheries like Redmire, Ashlea Pool, Billinging Aquadrome, etc. do they still produce large fish or are they just now run of the mill carp waters overtaken by the need now it seems to catch bigger and bigger fish.
Most of my club waters now produce fish of a bigger average weight than these waters did.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Redmire is alive and well and still producing fish.

A few friends of mine have just completed a week on there and had a great time, with all three catching fish in the 20lbs plus range.

I think the reason we don't hear too much about those classic venues is that there are no so many large carp stocked all over that, other than their reputation, they are just not visited so often.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Even though i've never fished redmire or so much as visited the water i've read posts by people online who loved the place but saying it's now a shadow of it's former self having lost it's mystery and charm of old due to being hammered by anglers. I've no idea how true this is but I can actually imagine it to be true after it was featured in passion and all the Chris Yates wannabes will have wanted to act their part :eek:mg:.
Peter, do you know how much it is for a days fishing on there nowadays, i'm thinking it will still be quite expensive ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter, do you know how much it is for a days fishing on there nowadays, i'm thinking it will still be quite expensive ?

Bookings for this season are: Summer Rates
Weekend (1pm Friday - 12 noon Sunday) £120 per person
5 Days (2pm Sunday - 12 noon Friday) £300 per person

Winter Rates
weekend (Fr to Sun) prices £70
5 day price (Sunday to Friday) is £155
and 7 day tickets are now £225.
All prices are per person.

If you want the entre last week of the season (good luck trying to book it as I've missed out 3 times) it is £1000 for 5 anglers

The first week of the season you also have to bid on, in increments of £100 with a reserve of £2000, also for 5 anglers

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Going by those prices i could just afford half a day in the winter

I couldn't agree with you more iain as it is terribly expensive.
Mind you a day or a week on the Test or the Itchen would cost an awful lot more . . . .

That said, where else can you fish in the footsteps on the likes of Roberts, **** Walker, Hilton, Mintram, Quinlan, Arbery, Clifford, Springate, Maddocks or Yates?

I've only fished it once and I spent a long time stood by the damn just looking out over the 3 acres and thinking about those terrific anglers . . . . who had gone before me.

At night time the place takes on a, well, a special sort of atmosphere, one that is difficult to describe but it does make you very pleased to just . . . . . be there.

Even the names of the famous swims seem to conjure up a special feeling; The Evening Swim (here be there ghosts) Stumps, Black Quill and Rod's willow . . . .

Redmire Pool holds a special place in Angling, and particularly Carp fishing history, and yes, maybe the owners are making hay from the gift that they have purchased . . . . but when you get there all that disappears and the magic that is Redmire takes over . . . . .

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...ms-redmire-pool-picture3908-redmire-swims.jpg

Or, maybe I'm just a romantic old angler . . . . but I am pretty much the same about my beloved Hampshire Avon too . . . . ;)

steve2

Reaction score
It must be down to nostalgia people looking back at was and now never can be again.
I wonder how many of todays instant carp anglers have heard of any of these anglers and places or even care when they can catch bigger fish from the local duck pond.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It must be down to nostalgia people looking back at was and now never can be again.
I wonder how many of todays instant carp anglers have heard of any of these anglers and places or even care when they can catch bigger fish from the local duck pond.

So is it a case of nostalgia ain't what it used to be then?

If so then todays "instant success anglers" are missing out on a wholly important part of the real spice of that which they chase in the hopes of landing, and to my mind it must be a very hollow victory . . . . . .

The main difference between those anglers I listed and may of todays carp chasers reflects what Jack Hargreaves once said . . . . "before a man contrives to catch a big fish let him catch a natural one" . . . because those pioneers in Carp angling only had natural fish as their quarry; not for them the grown-on specimens purposely stocked in a venue to claim a record.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Now, for background purposes I'm 35. Not old but old enough to remember passion for angling and old enough to respect yates' record and the writings of him and Hutchinson etc etc.
I've been to redmire, was about 8/9 years ago and I wasn't impressed. I'm not one for over manicured puddles but redmire was bordering on neglected. It had obviously had a successful spawning season and was full of stunted 3lb commons. I'm sure there were bigger fish in there but I had a 14lber and according to the catch book in the hut it had been the biggest fish caught in 9 months!
It didn't need much, but it needed a bit of tlc.
Also and this is what gets my goat up more than anything is the booking system. I have had an interest in redmire and any forum post etc immediately catches my eye. I have read loads and loads of posts by people who spend ages on the phone trying to get through to make a booking only to be told they can only fish in December or January. I think I've only ever seen 1 or 2 people who have fished in the summer. I also know that my friend who has fished it a few times at prime times managed to do so as the guy that booked it had a relationship with the people that organised the bookings. When that guy stepped down and someone else took over the organising they were back to winter visits.
I'm only speculating and its only my opinion but I believe that the owners/ management were basically earning a small fortune off the fisheries reputation and because it had once been something special.

ken more

Reaction score
Now, for background purposes I'm 35. Not old but old enough to remember passion for angling and old enough to respect yates' record and the writings of him and Hutchinson etc etc.
I've been to redmire, was about 8/9 years ago and I wasn't impressed. I'm not one for over manicured puddles but redmire was bordering on neglected. It had obviously had a successful spawning season and was full of stunted 3lb commons. I'm sure there were bigger fish in there but I had a 14lber and according to the catch book in the hut it had been the biggest fish caught in 9 months!
It didn't need much, but it needed a bit of tlc.
Also and this is what gets my goat up more than anything is the booking system. I have had an interest in redmire and any forum post etc immediately catches my eye. I have read loads and loads of posts by people who spend ages on the phone trying to get through to make a booking only to be told they can only fish in December or January. I think I've only ever seen 1 or 2 people who have fished in the summer. I also know that my friend who has fished it a few times at prime times managed to do so as the guy that booked it had a relationship with the people that organised the bookings. When that guy stepped down and someone else took over the organising they were back to winter visits.
I'm only speculating and its only my opinion but I believe that the owners/ management were basically earning a small fortune off the fisheries reputation and because it had once been something special.

Interesting post. A few years ago i tried to book, mainly for my Son who does Carp fish, as a kind of present and just to say that he had fished there. I had a list of days, weeks and Times that we could get there (plenty, about 20+) and got offered February with very,very little leaway. This was a first come first served deal at the time, and i was in there early. Put us both right off as it all felt a bit funny. I really hope i am wrong in my thinking, but not for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bookings for this season are: Summer Rates
Weekend (1pm Friday - 12 noon Sunday) £120 per person
5 Days (2pm Sunday - 12 noon Friday) £300 per person

Winter Rates
weekend (Fr to Sun) prices £70
5 day price (Sunday to Friday) is £155
and 7 day tickets are now £225.
All prices are per person.

If you want the entre last week of the season (good luck trying to book it as I've missed out 3 times) it is £1000 for 5 anglers

The first week of the season you also have to bid on, in increments of £100 with a reserve of £2000, also for 5 anglers

I really do understand why people go there but in reality I don't think it's about fishing, I think it's more a nostalgic thing.

At those prices I think i'd prefer to have a trip abroad or a few years season tickets on some nice rivers.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Ken More, it doesn't surprise me but it saddens me a little.
I read in fallons angler that mark walshingham was going to oversee some drastic restoration to the place and I hope that's true. It has a special place in fishing history and I would love to go back in 20 years to find it was special again but as it stands I wouldn't go back if it was free.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You have to be of a certain age when you read the title to this thread and instantly think of Bob, Terry and Thelma.:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
So is it a case of nostalgia ain't what it used to be then?

If so then todays "instant success anglers" are missing out on a wholly important part of the real spice of that which they chase in the hopes of landing, and to my mind it must be a very hollow victory . . . . . .

The main difference between those anglers I listed and may of todays carp chasers reflects what Jack Hargreaves once said . . . . "before a man contrives to catch a big fish let him catch a natural one" . . . because those pioneers in Carp angling only had natural fish as their quarry; not for them the grown-on specimens purposely stocked in a venue to claim a record.
I was chatting to a young carp angler a few days ago and found that we had both fished the same water, I dropped a few well known anglers (nationally) who had fished it some thirty plus years ago and he had never heard of any of them ?.

Philip

Reaction score
I did sort of half contemplate trying to go once but i think I prefer the mental image I have from the writings of days past. I think a visit to see it for real would kill that which would be a shame. Even some of the photos I see of it nowadays sort of kill it.

Then again what do I really expect ? ....its never going to be the water it was. It had its day. Good luck to the owners, if people want to pay those prices then why not make a bit of money out of it.

I suppose its good that as its such an important part of Carp fishing history that at least its open to all, albeit at a price, rather than becomes a closed shop for a select few.

In an ideal world I would have liked Redmire to have been purchased by someone not interested in fishing and not out to make money and just leave the water alone and let it take care of itself.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've just been reading an old thread 'Redmire Pool - where the heck is it?' posted back in 2010 because I remember posting on the visit I made to the place. My sentiments haven't changed nor will they, and folk will always have, and are entitled to have, an opinion on the subject.

It is my opinion that only people of (around my age, and then by no means all) will appreciate what happened back in 1952 when Walker caught his fish and why trying to compare it with any other time span, is sort of pointless. Apart from all the factors around tackle, bait, clothing et al that have to be considered, I think it worth bearing in mind the period of which we are talking and what it took to not only fish Redmire, but what it took to even get there!
In 1952 (I was 9 years old) rationing was only just coming to an end, and even though it was some years after the end of WW2, money was very tight for many, and general living conditions not very good at all. Not for all, but for vast numbers in and around the big cities.
Imagine then, if you will, the scenario of planning a trip, or in Walkers case many trips from his home in Hitchin, Herts to Herefordshire, some 140 miles distant with not a motor way in sight, and in vehicles that were, at best unreliable.
Not for those pioneers the benefit of a nice, warm luxurious 4 x 4 or kitted out camper van for the journey, on a nice straight motorway, but via A-roads with a minimal number of petrol stations and not the vast array of food found in motorway service stations. Likely as not the car or van would be without a heater so it took great effort to make such a journey, and one most folk today would think twice about making just for a bit of fishing - let alone on a regular basis!!

Just give a bit of thought to available clothing, camping gear available at the time. For example, think about what folk used to climb Everest back then and compare what they use today....you get the idea..

Of course, it is easy to say ' you make do with what is available at the time' but I wonder how many anglers, if offered free fishing for a year at Redmire, would care to make the massive effort (with the gear of yesteryear).....Oh, and earn a living, and design the rods with which to fish the place, and keep a family happy as you disappear for days at a time, only to return home fishless. Not too many would be my guess!!
Oh, and this without the 'hotel' standard accommodation I see sitting on the banks of some fisheries these days!!

So, for those who are a little sniffy around what Walker (and many others) achieved at that time I would say; What have you accomplished to match it, which entitles you to offer an opinion???
I can think of a few on FM, but not too many, if what they write is anything to go by!

.....................and you can stick that in your pipe, and smoke it! (That's an age thing as well!!)

To Peter Jacobs: Re the 2010 thread; I'm still waiting to win the lottery, but should I ever manage it, our trip to Redmire is still on!!

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Would I like to fish these places I mention now, no. I would of back in the when I carp fished in the 60’s and 70’s these places were dream waters. Instead I stuck to mostly local waters and was happy to catch any carp no matter what size. It took me years to break the 20lb barrier.

One thing that I have often wondered about is what if Pete Thomas had caught that fish. Their baits were only a couple of feet apart. Where would carp fishing be now and would any one have believed **** Walker if he had returned that fish or been fishing alone.
I have always admired anglers of the Walker era, Peter Stone, Fred J Taylor etc, because they proved that big fish could be caught if you went about it in the right way and you could still have fun doing it.