Tying on a hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are certain situations when I like to fish a direct line to hook and quite often when freelining, so nothing on the line helping in snaggy swims.

If it's bread or meat it's normally on the hook but I was wondering how to tie a hair onto the hook for some 15mil pellets. What sort of knot could I use to secure the hair? I'll need to keep enough room in the eye for a palomar knot.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perfect, I've seen these in my local tackle shop yonks ago and forgot all about them!

iain t

Reaction score
You could look up how to tie a hair on the internet. I found a picture of how to do it via a John Wilson book. Also, there is an old video of his that shows the same pictures. He uses Dacron but i use uncoated braid. Quite simple once you get used to the knot.

sagalout

Reaction score
You could whip the hair to the shank of the hook yourself, the same as korum have done.

You could as was suggested on here many moons ago by the great PJ himself if memory serves correctly (unlikely) put the hair through a thin silicone tube and then thread the tube (with hair inside) onto the hook. If I have confused you, look at the carp anglers rigs where they use silicon tube to set the position of the hair on the bend of the hook, but your hair will not be tied to the hook.

You tie the hair direct to the shank/bend of the hook (granny knot should do it, it ain't under any great pressure). Isn't that how it all started?

You could hook a bait band directly.

You could use some of those expensive bait bands with a bit on the side for hooking, I think all the "what can gouge them for next" companies do them.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to be using a 15ml pellet and like a bit of distance to the hook so no fancy bait band gizmos. As said I guess no real need for a super strong attachment, whipping with a dab of super glue should do nicely I hope.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whipped, glued, heat shrunk, sorted.....hopefully.

ACDF299A-5D20-490A-A695-10CAA977601F_zps1cd48zvn.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Looks very neat and tidy! Is that a braid of some kind you have used for the hair?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I like that idea too - I am thinking that would be good for catching them off the top with drilled, dry dog mixers. I am wondering if the shrink tube is really necessary. I am going to see if I can whip-finish it like you would do when tying a fly. The braid might be a bit thick, but I will give it a go... I might try a securing the braid loop with fly-tying thread as if tying a fly... Hmmm...

Ralph.

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
You can break the braid down to strains. Or the way second way is to use dental floss. They seem to like the mint flavoured one from the pound shop.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well, with a bit of a rummage around I found some thread, a size 10 hook and here is my first attempt. Sorry this is just a snap-shot...

35687907522_783da18da0_c.jpg

I am no Davie McPhail but I think in principle it will work. I need to get some proper waxed fly tying thread as this has gone all furry, but one pass up the shank, to give the braid something to grip, a second pass back to the eye, trapping the braid, and whip-finished seems to do the job. A spot of super-glue to secure the whipped finish might be belt and braces but I am not sure it needs it.

Ralph.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Why use such large hair material, the bait is under no pressure, wouldn't it be a better presentation with some 2lb bs or less line?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I agree. I like the idea of using dental floss. I was Just using what I had to hand to see if it worked in principle. I will now refine whole thing using more balanced materials.

Ralph

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like that idea too - I am thinking that would be good for catching them off the top with drilled, dry dog mixers. I am wondering if the shrink tube is really necessary. I am going to see if I can whip-finish it like you would do when tying a fly. The braid might be a bit thick, but I will give it a go... I might try a securing the braid loop with fly-tying thread as if tying a fly... Hmmm...

Ralph.

Not sure I'd have the courage to fish off the top without a hooklength Ralph, I've lost a few and took some comfort it was only a hooklength and not yards of mainline.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Not sure I'd have the courage to fish off the top without a hooklength Ralph, I've lost a few and took some comfort it was only a hooklength and not yards of mainline.

All that country living has turned you into a bit of a woose :D

Carp rod with the secondary drag on the reel set as light as it will go... it'll be fine... Famous last words.

It would be good for freelining that chub in the weir pool with a big lump of meat...

Ralph.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be good for freelining that chub in the weir pool with a big lump of meat...

Ralph.

Almost the plan! But I'm happy with the meat on the hook for that particular swim (gentle underarm cast). The plan was to see if I could find a barbel in there with the temptation of a large lamprey pellet.

Went today, conditions all different. That lovely patch of cover is swirling round in circles making it impossible to chuck anything into that sweet spot without getting clogged in weed. Tried off the wall opposite but not a bite.:(

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Why use such large hair material, the bait is under no pressure, wouldn't it be a better presentation with some 2lb bs or less line?

It's a personal thing, well two actually. I like something a little thicker thinking it won't slice through meat so easily. Not on this occasion with limp uncoated braid but I also prefer a stiffer hair for certain applications giving a different presentation.

Agreed no need for ultimate strength. I like to finish it off with shrink tube more for a neater finish than anything else.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Almost the plan! But I'm happy with the meat on the hook for that particular swim (gentle underarm cast). The plan was to see if I could find a barbel in there with the temptation of a large lamprey pellet.

Went today, conditions all different. That lovely patch of cover is swirling round in circles making it impossible to chuck anything into that sweet spot without getting clogged in weed. Tried off the wall opposite but not a bite.:

Having only visited the weir pool for the first time on Saturday, it is interesting to see how the conditions can change so quickly. On Saturday evening, the chap fishing off the wall was catching lots of small perch. I think I will spending a good few evenings jigging and dropshotting there this winter...

...Agreed no need for ultimate strength. I like to finish it off with shrink tube more for a neater finish than anything else.

My test hook looks very hairy because I used some thread I had kicking around. I am sure if tied with decent waxed tying thread it will look so much better. That is also tied on a relatively small size 10 hook. Either way it is a great idea that I am sure I will be trying out very soon.

Ralph.