Record Bream

B

binka

Thanks for that Steve.some interesting stats in those lists, very illuminating.

I never knew that Colwick Park once held the roach record, and for fifteen years too :eek:

I always had that one down in my head as coming from somewhere like the Wensum.

flightliner

Reaction score
I never knew that Colwick Park once held the roach record, and for fifteen years too :eek:

I always had that one down in my head as coming from somewhere like the Wensum.

I remember it's capture Steve, on lobworm if I remember correctly so it would have been a perfect quest for you.
I think the water was turned into a trout by fly only venue not long afterwards , not sure if I fished it a little time afterwards with a friend but it might have been another water on the complex????
ps, the Wensum was on many a roach anglers bucket list back then, mine to but never did get round to it as I found another good roach water.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I remember it's capture Steve, on lobworm if I remember correctly so it would have been a perfect quest for you.

Yep I remember that ...on a size 2 hook as well if memory serves me well. I think the fish was also shown to be carrying over 10oz of spawn.

Philip

Reaction score
I could have sworn the Bream record was held by a fish from Chiddingstone Castle lake at one point ...13.8 or 13.12 something like that. ...it does not appear to be on the list.

B

binka

That was the tench record when I was a boy. Caught by the Rev Alston I believe who also held the Rudd record.

There was an 8 - 8 fish taken by a Maurice Foode on the GUC Leicester Line in 1950 :)

An amazing piece of angling knowledge or at least it might be if it wasn't according to 'the chart of all which is holy' :wh

flightliner

Reaction score
Yep I remember that ...on a size 2 hook as well if memory serves me well. I think the fish was also shown to be carrying over 10oz of spawn.

Lobbies I can well understand Philip but a number two hook!!! Was he really fishing for roach or eels maybe??.:confused:

Philip

Reaction score

I'd better whisper it Flight as some of the regulars might get a tad upset......I believe he was actually after Carp...:)

Philip

Reaction score
I think it may have got chucked out in one of the BRFC shake ups but it did hold the record.

Amazing..all those record list clean ups down the years but whats that I see ? ....ah yes Salmon, 1922, 64lb on the dot ...they must have been very merticuolus with the weighing procedure back then i guess...:wh

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Flight: Graham Marsden & Eddie Bibby will have a very good idea of the record and the weights of bream. Probably not as far back as that :) but they travelled the country fishing for them.

(I see "Barney" has shaken the current record recently with a 20lber!)

steve2

Reaction score
The bream record was held at one time by a fish from Chiddingstone it appears on the list. What surprise me is the amount of records that were beaten by a few dram’s can fish be weighed this accurately on the bank.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think the water was turned into a trout by fly only venue not long afterwards , not sure if I fished it a little time afterwards with a friend but it might have been another water on the complex????
ps, the Wensum was on many a roach anglers bucket list back then, mine to but never did get round to it as I found another good roach water.

Flightliner,
I tried sending you a PM re this but your message folder is full, email sent instead.
Mark