Any contacts in France?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just joined this forum with a view to getting up to date on my coarse fishing. Many years since doing any serious freshwater fishing but have had most species around UK but not a lot of carp or barbel. The sea fishing is in my blood but I still enjoy rivers and lakes!

In September my wife and I are moving to France, just renting at first until we see how the Brexit politics play out. Our first stop for about eight months will be near Cahors with the lovely river Lot close by.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the fishing in this area? Any ex-pat fishing groups? My french language skills have a long way to go before I can have a meaningful conversation with the local anglers :rolleyes:

We will be touring SW France looking for longer term accommodation, so any tips as to good fishing areas will be appreciated.

john step

Reaction score
If memory serves, Cahors is quite hilly??
The Lot runs through it.
More coarse fishing towards Landes I would guess.
There was a member who lived in Sw France who if his posts are remembered correctly would mean plenty of fishing there.
Unfortunately he was banned and not sure if contactable now.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not an area I am too familiar with either to be honest as I am moving further north and east into the Luberon, Isle sur Sorgue, but for the identical reasons.

There is some decent trout fishing in and around the city there and some coarse fishing too.

mikench

Reaction score
Try google for fishing permits in France and then locate your area for details. I do not know that area from a fishing perspective. Les Alpes Maritime or the Var on the other hand.....!

There is a fair bit of info on the net about fishing in different departments and the bureaucracy of fishing permits!

Philip

Reaction score
I dont know it very well but the fishing around Cahors is going to be dominated by the Lot which is a lovely river with all the usual river species. Lots of Barbel in some stretches or at least there was & a bit further north you have the Vers if your into Trout / Game fishing. If you willing to venture further south you also have the Tarn which is another cracking river.

I dont know if its still the case but there is a canal as well down that way, canal de Serignac that used to hold some very good Tench and some eye popping Carp.

Make the most of it ..8 months goes fast :)

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I dont know it very well but the fishing around Cahors is going to be dominated by the Lot which is a lovely river with all the usual river species. Lots of Barbel in some stretches or at least there was & a bit further north you have the Vers if your into Trout / Game fishing. If you willing to venture further south you also have the Tarn which is another cracking river.

I dont know if its still the case but there is a canal as well down that way, canal de Serignac that used to hold some very good Tench and some eye popping Carp.

Make the most of it ..8 months goes fast :)

Thanks for that info!

The first 8 months is booked in a gite at winter rates. Gives us time to look at the SW in general for something long term. Not planning on coming back to the UK unless they throw us out of France!

Our main worry with Brexit is the reciprocal health care arrangements. As they stand we will get looked after the same as the locals, if that changes private health care may prove too expensive. We hope to be residents before any final brexit date!

Getting excited about the fishing potential, long overdue for some new experiences!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Well, we made it to the gite! After a couple of months we managed to find a long term rental about 30 minutes drive west of Cahors and about 10 minutes drive from a lovely section of the river Lot.

This post duplicated when I tried to add photos! How do I delete a post?

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Well, we made it to the gite! After a couple of months we managed to find a long term rental about 30 minutes drive west of Cahors and about 10 minutes drive from a lovely section of the river Lot.

Some weeks ago I finally got around to bait fishing river. During late summer the river had been low, clear and weedy - not great for fishing! I had seen carp, barbel, chub and all the usual small stuff but only tried lure fishing with little result.

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...atches-up-to-2017-a-picture4975-lot-small.jpg

As winter approached dusk was earlier and there had been a little rain so I felt it was time for an evening session near a weir. I had some large, stale prawns (crevettes) for bait so chopped a few for groundbait and use a small section of prawn as bait.

Missed a few bites, so decided to try a whole prawn on a size 4 hook, that should discourage the small stuff. That resulted in two barbel just before dark, both just hooked in the lip.

The first a three pound fish, the second larger but by then too dark to photograph on my phone.

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...tches-up-to-2017-a-picture4976-barbel-lot.jpg

For a sea fisherman I guess barbel are a good 2nd best! Will keep me amused until I get to the coast.

If any forum members are around the area of France just west of Cahors drop me a PM. Hopefully will have a few fishing spots sorted this year.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
That one does look partiularly thin & out of sorts but the fish are often just thinner anyway down that way. They are for the most part wild fish living on naturals.

Here is another example of a southern French Barbel. I would say this is fairly typical shape of the Barbel down that way. Of course there are plenty of exceptions.

philip-albums-misc-picture4784-barbel.jpg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I wonder if French Barbel belong to a different gene pool ( is that the correct term?) to the ones in this country?

Doh!!! of course, all the french are skinny- with big noses!

Why should anyone expect different with "les barbeaux"? :confused:

pelamid-albums-some-catches-up-to-2017-a-picture4977-img-20171223-145428-a.jpg

Think I am getting to like this river!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I wonder if French Barbel belong to a different gene pool ( is that the correct term?) to the ones in this country?

Yes I think your probably right Graham. There is a second variety in the south but thats a distinct sub species. Very generally speaking in my experience the further north you go the more “British” the Barbel become.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Hi , We’ve just moved into a house on the banks of the Dordogne, an already high river has just risen another foot in the last day, I’m hoping to get the barbel rod and some luncheon meat or saucisson out tomorrow, If I’m allowed some time off to buy my permit de pêche.
On the bright side at least I won’t have to mow the lawn at the weekend. I’m happy to help on translation of regulations as I’ve already done a fair bit of donkey work in that department.
940b143b28b583a397ff1662a040eabd.jpg
c385c5652b7c8851bcfedcf05a66e800.jpg
a

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Hi , We’ve just moved into a house on the banks of the Dordogne, an already high river has just risen another foot in the last day, I’m hoping to get the barbel rod and some luncheon meat or saucisson out tomorrow, If I’m allowed some time off to buy my permit de pêche.
On the bright side at least I won’t have to mow the lawn at the weekend. I’m happy to help on translation of regulations as I’ve already done a fair bit of donkey work in that department.
940b143b28b583a397ff1662a040eabd.jpg
c385c5652b7c8851bcfedcf05a66e800.jpg
a

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to FM