Reel seat replacement

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have a couple of nice oldish float rods that I have been given and use often. Both have the sliding ring type mounts for the reel. At some point, one has had a clip-on type seat whipped to the handle by a previous owner. I would like to replace the handle grips and fit modern reel seats.

Can anybody tell me if this is possible from the butt end? I do not really want to spoil the graphics on the rod as I would have to strip the ring and clear coat varnish/resin to build it from the 'narrow end' so to speak.

I am assuming the rod blank is tapered all the way down,but I don't know. Is the handle section parallel, by any chance?

Ralph.

trotter2

Reaction score
You should be able to get it on from the butt section if the taper is more all less parallel. If its not get the next size up reel seat and build it up with an open twist of masking tape then epoxy it on .

Richox12

Reaction score
It might taper all the way to the very bottom of the handle in which case it means stripping the butt. If you're lucky, the handle will be an overfit piece joined under the top of the handle and where the reel seat needs to go so you can fit from the back (depending upon where the actual join of the 2 pieces is mind). But even this piece will have at least some taper.

There's only 1 way to find out........