Street Fishing

steve2

Reaction score
This is a new one on me I was told that because I rove around when lure fishing this is now called Street Fishing. Checked it on the Internet and there is even some tackle sold as suitable for street fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Another silly name thought up by someone thinking 'its really cool man' :eek:mg:

I will just carry on calling it what it is 'Roving with a Lure' :)

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Gets the kids into lure fishing, lots of YouTube videos with clanking sounds tracks. Plus it's a chance for the marketing men to sell some more tackle.

fishplate42

Reaction score
That is the ting about our hobby. The older ones of us can sit here discussing it on forums and be very sensible, using words most of us understand while the kids are having a whale of a time getting trendy and calling it all sorts of things. See HERE.

logo_CRAZY_FISH_original.jpg

Just one of the lure manufacturer's logos clearly aimed at the kids, me thinks, Man, or should that be Bro?!

I think a lot of us don't realise just how much 'cool' angling is going on out there. A whole new industry with modern music (if that's what they call it) and graphics dominates the scene and there are a lot of kids dialling in to it. I think it is great, I don't want to start speaking with a 'street' accent or wearing my trousers showing off my underwear but I do like participating in a bit of dropshotting and jigging those little plastic lures, which in themselves can be addictive... what ever you do, don't look at the AGM website... No don't!

Ralph :cool:

B

binka

Innit though man, ya gotta hike for the pike and meander for the zander :cool:

Word up y'all!

Philip

Reaction score
This whole sort of new angle thats creeping in of urban angling and trying making it look like a "cool" thing to do is all a bit silly

Look on the face of it angling just isnt cool. Take what we wear for instance, its just not cool is it. Waders are not cool. Silly Sun visors without the cap bit are not cool. Bait aprons, still not cool and as for Camo...well I dont need to tell you do I !

Fact is we look ridiculous and for the most part we accept this.

..BUT ! ...and this is the fascinating bit....perhaps the fact that we look ridiculous but at the same time we KNOW we look ridiculous yet still do it that I recon is the magic ingredient that actually makes us cool ! I think its a fashion niche waiting to explode !

..and here we have mark, sporting a jaunty green bib and brace, black woolen balaclava and Neoprene wellies, Finished off with an off the shoulder wicker creel and Polaroid sunglasses.

Now tell me - how can that NOT be cool eh ? :D

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I do a lot of urban fishing and I can tell you walking down a main road with your waders on and a minging old bait apron full of maggots does not feel cool.

However with the rod set up and a 'I don't care i'm fishing attitude' written across my face I get the impression that a lot of the folk driving past usually on the way to work would rather swap their day with mine. You do get funny looks though when you take a wrong turn and end up nowhere near any water, especially in a busy street.

Maybe it is cool after all

Keith M

Reaction score
They will soon grow up and realise how really stupid they sound and look when they start getting older and wiser. Most of us did similar things when we were at that age in the 60s and 70s but most of us grew out of it. :)

I must still be fairly cool though as I have been dropshotting and jigging lures for years with tiny rubber lures with cool names, and I guess so have many more older and more mature (smelly?) anglers :)

However I wouldn't go anywhere near wearing my jeans with the crutch between my knees and wearing my cap the wrong way round while I'm fishing :)

My street cred must be very low these days (thankfully); even though I've been partying and enjoying myself in the streets of hundreds of seedy, not so seedy and great towns and cities all around the world while I was in the RN and ever since on holidays or for the companies I have worked for; and I actually thought that my street cred was actually not too bad 'man' :mad:

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
What a great relief it is to me that it's lure fishing that's getting this treatment.
I'm more likely to go fishing for candiru, with my own appendage as bait, than I am to indulge in drop shotting, street fishing or any angling that's remotely urban.

theartist

Reaction score
What a great relief it is to me that it's lure fishing that's getting this treatment.
I'm more likely to go fishing for candiru, with my own appendage as bait, than I am to indulge in drop shotting, street fishing or any angling that's remotely urban.

Some folk have no choice other than to fish urban areas, using public transport et al

Whilst it's not exactly cool it's not to be scorned at

Philip

Reaction score
All this talk of fishing being cool or not reminds me of an incident that happened many years ago...

I was doing a bit of Roach fishing on the middle Thames after dark and was all kitted out in my fishing clobber..waders, silly hat, the works and was tucked into the overgrown bank side well out of the way of anyone. However sods law being what it is one of those massive disco cruise boats decided to do like a 20 point turn right in my swim complete with floodlights and swarming with a thousand whooping adolescents in full party swing. Well you can imagine my horror. I was lit up like Blackpool illuminations and literally everyone on the whole boat ran to the sides to gwarp at the idiot fishing. My embarrassment was complete and all I could do was sit there like a garden gnome and wait for the boat to complete its mammoth turn.

However the thing is thinking back …it was me that had all the girlies screaming, waving and shouting “give us a kiss” …while all the blokes suited and booted up in their best togs were left to one side ignored and with nowt ! ..Ha Ha serve em right.:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Some folk have no choice other than to fish urban areas, using public transport et al

Whilst it's not exactly cool it's not to be scorned at

No scorn involved, I just live in the sticks. To get to a remotely urban venue, I'd have to drive past umpteen better rural venues. That really wouldn't be very sensible. I'm quite sure that, if I lived in a town or city, I'd fish urban venues.