Fishy smells?

B

binka

Why do I feel like I’m breaking a taboo here?

Now this is something which occurred to me only this afternoon, a kind of realisation of what has always been a subliminal thought lost in the wider scheme of what’s happening at the time but I reckon fish have different smells!

Hang on, hear me out…

Actually no don’t, but here’s my list so far based on exhaustive scientific study…

Bream – Dour, cold, manky and dull

Gudgeon - Chocolate

Roach – Sweet

Pike and Perch – Metallic

Barbel and Carp – Earthy

Smelt - Anything but cucumber

What d'ya reckon, time to change to a less herbal smoke or is there something in it? :D

fishplate42

Reaction score
Too many beers me thinks...

Everybody knows Gudgeon smell like Turkish Delight.

Ralph :rolleyes:

B

binka

Too many beers me thinks...

Everybody knows Gudgeon smell like Turkish Delight.

Ralph :rolleyes:

Two thresholds crossed there.

The first I am still trying to achieve despite many years of effort, the second I have to fully admit to having sniffed a gudgeon only recently :guinness:

I always thought Turkish Delight was re-packaged soap...

thecrow

Reaction score
I have never understood why anyone would think that Smelt smelled of cucumber, they do have a distinctive smell but cucumber? nah.

Gerkins maybe :D

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The smell of roach reminds me of fishing as a kid.

B

binka

I've always been undecided about Mackerel.

Oily for sure and a cross between Castrol GTX and Olivio imo, maybe it's the difference between being caught in the industrial waters off the coast of Aberdeen and the Mediterranean waters of Costa de Almeria? :)

Philip

Reaction score
Not sure about how they all line up but the worst smelling fish has to be Wels Catfish, they absolutly stink ! ...the state they leave your nets in makes Bream slime seem like rose petals. Well ok, maybe not, but you get my gist.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Grayling have an aroma that's not unpleasant. They are supposed smell like thyme, hence the Latin name. As I've never knowingly stuck my beak in a bunch of thyme, I wouldn't know if the comparison is a good one.

I've never caught a catfish. After being present at the landing of a couple of them and having to endure the stink, I don't really want to.:puke:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Grayling have an aroma that's not unpleasant. They are supposed smell like thyme, hence the Latin name. As I've never knowingly stuck my beak in a bunch of thyme, I wouldn't know if the comparison is a good one.

I've never caught a catfish. After being present at the landing of a couple of them and having to endure the stink, I don't really want to.:puke:

I find fish seem to smell differently in different waters, and there's defiantly a difference in smell between river fish and still water fish. Bream in the river don't smell as much as stillwater ones and arn't anything like as slimy.
Grayling are my favorite fish to handle as they smell of cucumber to me and they arn't slimey like roach. Barbel are good to handle also as they don't seem to have a strong smell and don't have lots of slime.

Chris, those roach we caught last week stunk and where pretty slimy also, the dace where dirty little shytes as they always seem to have a shyt on my hand when I get one!

Philip

Reaction score
I can confidently say that Zander smells like lemon, parsley and corriander.

...then again that may have just been the sauce it was served in last time I ordered it :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
anglers have different smells, I knew one once, always knew where he was by the cloud of flies hovering over him but fish!

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I always thought Grayling do smell like Thyme and also that Sand Smelt do smell cucumbery. Roach are unmistakable. Perch don't seem to smell but you know when you've had one in the net on the drive home. On holiday last week I had a wet Perchy net plus seriously sweaty maggots cooking in the boot - safe to say the mother in law wasn't impressed :D

greenie62

Reaction score
I've always been undecided about Mackerel.....

After Mackerel fishing I've noticed that the fishy smell on the hands seems to be worse once you get back in the car!:eek:

Quick remedy - before you go to the chippy - squirt the windscreen washer on to your hands and wash them with this!
Apart from cleaning your hand it disinfects it and also removes most of the mackerel (and lugworm) smell! :D

steve2

Reaction score
Opened my garage door yesterday after a bream and tench catching session. I think someone must have died in there. I didn’t wash the nets.

B

binka

Quick remedy - before you go to the chippy - squirt the windscreen washer on to your hands and wash them with this!
Apart from cleaning your hand it disinfects it and also removes most of the mackerel (and lugworm) smell! :D

That's a great idea greenie...

Especially for those who remember to fill the washer bottle up regularly :eek:

john step

Reaction score
I reckon roach and rudd smell differently.

Also lamprey bait smells like pike. As big pike eat small pike that may be why its a good bait.

smudger172

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I’m breaking a taboo here?

Now this is something which occurred to me only this afternoon, a kind of realisation of what has always been a subliminal thought lost in the wider scheme of what’s happening at the time but I reckon fish have different smells!

Hang on, hear me out…

Actually no don’t, but here’s my list so far based on exhaustive scientific study…

Bream – Dour, cold, manky and dull

Gudgeon - Chocolate

Roach – Sweet

Pike and Perch – Metallic

Barbel and Carp – Earthy

Smelt - Anything but cucumber

What d'ya reckon, time to change to a less herbal smoke or is there something in it? :D

Is it lonely up there on your planet.....................