What the difference between a quiver & feeder rod?

chrissh

Reaction score
I have both quiver and feeder rods and can’t tell the difference, both are the same cast ratings and have the same tips is a quiver more sensitive / stronger?
and when would you use one or the other.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would imagine a quiver rod is more of a bomb rod and a feeder rod is more powerful to throw larger weights....I just lump 'em all together and use the correct one (power wise) on the day.

Some people may say a feeder rod could have a solid top but imo a feeder rod or quiver tip has push in tips.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's sod all difference between a quivertip rod and a feeder rod beyond the manufacturer/user choosing to use one term over the other.

B

binka

I can't see that there's logically a difference.

I have always, in my own mind, classed them similar to tigger with the quiver tip typically being a lighter type of bomb rod and the feeder rod just that despite the fact they're both quivertips, the feeder rod being called that to define a heavier intended use.

It's all nonsense at the end of the day, the 'feeder' rod could well end up being a better bomb rod for larger fish.

bracket

Reaction score
It is purely a mixture of terms. For me a feeder rod is simply a rod capable of casting a loaded swim feeder. The method of bite indication could be a quiver tip, butt indicator, one of those electronic thingies or ones thumb and forefinger. A quiver tip rod is exactly that: a rod fitted with a quiver tip that will cast a swim feeder. Pete.

chrissh

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers … it just got me wondering yesterday when cleaning the rods what the difference was I have both feeder and quiver and both are shimano one is a Beastmaster feeder and the other is a super ultrga quiver and the tips are the same and will fit either rod

B

binka

I used to own an Ultegra Medium Feeder, a beautifully finished rod and one of the few that I have not objected to having an abbreviated Duplon handle.

In many ways I wish I still had it, I can't even remember what I did with it :confused:

john step

Reaction score
On a flippant note.............I recently had to replace my old and knackered quiver tip rod and I had to make do with a feeder rod .:wh:wh:wh:wh

Yes silly I know but I am getting bored. Might be allowed out for a gentle bit of piscatorial pleasure this coming week.:D

iain t

Reaction score
May be me but i have always thought a feeder rod was a stepped up quiver rod. The quiver rod having a more through action where the feeder blank mostly was a top, middle action. Where the quiver was for lighter bombs and small method for smaller fish and a feeder rod for heavier cages and a like.