DIY rode tube

dac1

Reaction score
Hi,

I require a rod tube for a 13ft 3pc float rod. I see some online and I'm looking at around £12 delivered. Even then I'm not sure of strong the tube will be.

Has anyone made a rod tube themselves? Can you suggest the materials to use to make one, with the ends too. I'm imagining a drain pipe but the ends I don't know. Do you glue the ends or are there screw type ends.

Or is there a place that sells rod tubes on the cheap.

Thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most tackle shops have rod tubes for sale, though you may have to ask. They may not be cheap, but they are likely to be cheaper than trying to buy them on-line. The postage costs generally kill the chances of tubes being bought cheaply on-line.

robtherake

Reaction score
A short length of plastic drainpipe may be all that you need. Easy enough to seal one end as long as you aren't concerned with leaving the top open. My local shop gives away any non-standard carriage tubes - you might only have to ask to receive.:)

flightliner

Reaction score
Try some empty pop bottles (several) by cutting off the top n bottoms , then after a few nicks around the open ends apple some hot applied glue to make up the length required . The last s3ction will still have the bottom attached, the other end it's top.
Tape the whole thing up from top to bottom and it's done------- only done if there is no other alternative.
Simples!.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used the tops off jam jars etc in the past, one end glued on with araldite.

ken more

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of treatment your rods will receive, but would pipe lagging or heavy duty bubble wrap stuff do the job?:) I think you can get inspection/Screw cover things for plastic drain pipe, but the expense might make it a waste of time.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Ted Carter in Preston sell rod tubes and I have bought a couple and had them delivered free of charge either when they have an offer on or by buying other stuff as well! They are perfect for protecting your rods !

laguna

Reaction score
Cut a section of fall pipe to the required size.
If you can't find anything suitable for bungs, you can make caps from fibreglass resin or even paper mache as long as its made waterproof.

If your used to working with moulds and resin materials, you should be able to make a threaded cap end. Plastic caps can also be made by vacuum forming or around a mandril using a heat gun or hairdryer.

mikench

Reaction score
You will find a 6' length of drainpipe costs the same as a black rod tube with two end caps! B&Q or tackle shop? Check out Ted Carter for prices!;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Try some empty pop bottles (several) by cutting off the top n bottoms , then after a few nicks around the open ends apple some hot applied glue to make up the length required . The last s3ction will still have the bottom attached, the other end it's top.
Tape the whole thing up from top to bottom and it's done------- only done if there is no other alternative.
Simples!.

I thought John Noakes popped his clogs a while back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dac1

Reaction score
I took a look at ted carter and yes they do seem the cheapest. Thanks for pointing them out.
I nipped to b&q and they have a drain pipe for £6 from which you can make two rod tubes, but then you would need the ends. I couldn't see anything that could connect to make the ends.

Another thing is bait boxes. For a little plastic box it should be a pound - no more.

Lastly - umbrellas, what is normal diameter of a fishing umbrella? I've seen some of 60", 75", and 90" all for around £15. It will only day fishing so just enough to fit me and one other person underneath it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
I took a look at ted carter and yes they do seem the cheapest. Thanks for pointing them out.
I nipped to b&q and they have a drain for £6 which you can make two rod tubes from, but then you would need the ends. I couldn't see anything that could connect to make the ends.

Another thing is bait boxes. For a little plastic box it should e a pound - no more.

Thanks.
Local asian diy shops sell pipes much cheaper than B&Q but its a lot of faffing about making cap ends, go with Ted carter or just buy the caps separately if on a tight budget or enjoy making things at home.

dac1

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
Yes it does seem the P&P charges are killing the deal.

trotter2

Reaction score
The trouble is with drain pipe its thicker plastic that rod tubes and it weighs considerably more in comparison to a rod tube.
Some times a carpet shop with give you a lenght of the plastic type if you ask.
But again its more heavy to cart around.

dac1

Reaction score
Mikench - when I placed two rod tubes in the basket it was stating £6.99 p&p or free if you collect. I couldn't get free p&p delivered.

Edit: I take the above back. Just tried again and yes it's free postage. I'm sure it said £6.99 last night. Maybe it was just tired eyes.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
They are good value at that price and will last you forever! I sometimes attach them to my roof rack!