Link swivel thoughts

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Being a very lazy angler these days I tied link swivels last time to the end of my line so I could change the hook without having to snip one off and retie a new one when a change was required. This applies to sea fishing really but it could be relevant in coarse maybe. I am using a telescopic carp rod and around 12lb line at present, the nice thing - its all set up anytime I go fishing, it comes out of the bag and all I have to do is apply hooks, bait or lure accordingly very easily..
I was float fishing and had two swivels on, one on the end and one on a loop about 18 inches above this. I could change the lure on the end easily or fish two in tandem. Or put hooks on both swivels and fish bread for mullet under the float. Saved a lot of fluffing about. They are very small link swivels about half inch and silver. Worrying things were how strong are they if I latched onto a big fish, putting bait on apart from bread like lug-worms and would fish be put off by some of the link showing, not so much sea fishing was my thought but coarse fishing! As it was unless I put a very large piece of bread on some of the link swivel was showing and putting lug-worm on how would I thread them up pass the swivel, yet to experiment with that.
This got me thinking of ways of attaching hooks to line in general, is there a better way? My line of thought took me to a piece of wire tied to the end of the line with no swivel so you could just thread it through a hook or lure and wrap it a few times around the shank or back on itself. When you need to change it just unwrap it. No need for knots every-time. As far as I got really but just wondered if there was any merit in it. Might try and fish out some bits of wire from my bits and pieces box and see if it can be done.
One thought with this is-no swivel just wire - a piece could be left sticking out so when you thread a lug-worm on its held in place whereas threading over a swivel might not be practical.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have been using micro swivels to connect mainlines and hooklengths when float fishing for a few years now. The swivel also replaces the last dropper shot.
I've recently replaced a standard swivel with a Cralusso match quick snap.

mikench

Reaction score
I have been using micro swivels to connect mainlines and hooklengths when float fishing for a few years now. The swivel also replaces the last dropper shot.
I've recently replaced a standard swivel with a Cralusso match quick snap.

I didnt know you spoke hungarian Sam! Rob the Rake recommended some of those and I have used them! I bought them on the bay for around £1 for 50!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I may be thinking more of clip swivels, perhaps I got the name wrong; I can clip a hook or a lure straight onto these by just flicking the clip bit open and changing to whatever I want. Just makes life more convenient but it has its drawbacks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I didnt know you spoke hungarian Sam!!!!

No need when there's a nice little Union Flag to click on.;)

Rob the Rake recommended some of those and I have used them! I bought them on the bay for around £1 for 50!!!

I'd doubt they were Cralusso branded at that price, they know how to charge!
If you find exactly the same for that price, please let me know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I may be thinking more of clip swivels, perhaps I got the name wrong; I can clip a hook or a lure straight onto these by just flicking the clip bit open and changing to whatever I want. Just makes life more convenient but it has its drawbacks.

There are loads of names and variations on the theme. Invariably, they were initially intended with lure fishing in mind. Coarse anglers have been using them for various applications. I remember a period in the late eighties into the nineties where most feeders seemed to come with a snap swivel. Many people fishing a running lead or feeder would include one to facilitate a quick change in weight.
I hated them then, they invariably seemed to cause tangles.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

They were not Sam; made in China!!

I'm sure the Cralusso ones will be, but I've not seen the size and type from any other source. I'd happily buy them if I did.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There are loads of names and variations on the theme. Invariably, they were initially intended with lure fishing in mind. Coarse anglers have been using them for various applications. I remember a period in the late eighties into the nineties where most feeders seemed to come with a snap swivel. Many people fishing a running lead or feeder would include one to facilitate a quick change in weight.
I hated them then, they invariably seemed to cause tangles.

The ones I am using are the "Forgó kapocs - 2115 "5-14"" style from your link. I guess they are a bit to much for coarse fishing hooks unless you were using large ones. I am using about a 6 size hook for bread fishing for mullet and a small clip/swivel. Just found it easier as I want to change from lure fishing to hook fishing which I might change frequently, get tired of lure have a go with hook for a while. I fish the lure with the float on, no bother so don't have to change anything drastic.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The ones I am using are the "Forgó kapocs - 2115 "5-14"" style from your link. I guess they are a bit to much for coarse fishing hooks unless you were using large ones. I am using about a 6 size hook for bread fishing for mullet and a small clip/swivel. Just found it easier as I want to change from lure fishing to hook fishing which I might change frequently, get tired of lure have a go with hook for a while. I fish the lure with the float on, no bother so don't have to change anything drastic.

They are usually called American snap link swivels, or a variation of that. I doubt I'd ever use them direct to an eyed hook for coarse fishing, but they were exactly what came with many feeders in the eighties/nineties.

iain t

Reaction score
Use similar for my weight and cage link lines but mine have plastic around the top loop of the swivel. Cost around £1.99 for 100 from China. I do know Preston also sell the but a lot more in price for just 10.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They are usually called American snap link swivels, or a variation of that. I doubt I'd ever use them direct to an eyed hook for coarse fishing, but they were exactly what came with many feeders in the eighties/nineties.

Its a case of laziness over presentation, laziness winning the day at the moment. I remember the feeder ones, I just happened on a whole box of them when digging about last week. Never thought of putting a hook direct on one before.
I have looked at a piece of thin wire, making a loop in one end to attach the wire to the line no problem. Winding it round a hook no problem except you have to leave a tail bit sticking out. But that's not a problem with a lure or using worms as that tail end helps keep the worm in place. Not quite as quick and easy as using a clip but still saves cutting line and retying every time.Think I might try this but look for some very thin wire of about 10lb breaking strain. Know better when I try it out.

Last edited: