Knotted mesh landing nets...

fishplate42

Reaction score
I understood that anglers should not use knotted mesh nets. This is copied from the GOV.UK website, Freshwater rod fishing rules:

"Landing nets You can’t use a landing net with any meshes that are knotted or made of metallic material."

On page 36 of this week's AT there is an article featuring Chris Yates using a net that is clearly made of a knotted mesh. So how does that work then?

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score
Was it a very old photo? He has been around a long time and likes to give an air of nostalgia for old things.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Was it a very old photo? He has been around a long time and likes to give an air of nostalgia for old things.

No this is up to date (well reasonably so, depending on the publisher's lead time) it was written by Martin Bowler and his current self is in one of the photographs...

Ralph.

Keith M

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that he hasn't just used a more modern knotless mesh on his older net frame giving the impression of using an older and illegal knotted mesh?

If not I am very surprised at them both :eek:

Keith

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure that he hasn't just used a more modern knotless mesh on his older net frame giving the impression of using an older and illegal knotted mesh?

If not I am very surprised at them both :eek:

Keith

It sure looks like a knotted net to me. There are two photographs of it, one is an 'arty' close up photograph of the old bait tin and bait sitting on the net - which is made of what looks like brown cord, knotted in a diamond pattern.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Is Chris Yates following his former mate's, Bob James, interesting take on angling law?

Please, enlighten me, what was Bob James' take on angling law? I am gussing it was along the lines of it does not apply to him for some obscure reason...

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Maybe it was a prop just for the article/pictures?

No, the other picture shows the fish being landed in it.

I am amazed that the editor/publisher let this get published, surely this is evidence of a crime being committed? Or do they think the law does not apply to them, for some reason.

It is like in woodworking magazines when machinery is used with guards removed, the caption often says something like "Guards removed for clarity" to try and circumnavigate the law, it does not, of course, but at least someone has acknowledged it is not wise...

Here, it just appears to be a blatant case of ignoring the law.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe it was a prop just for the article/pictures?

Looking at the short video I'd say you're right Steve, all about recreating how Chris use to fish back in the day.

Doesn't make it right though, however if it raises money for a hospice, then let it be I say.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I think it is good that people are trying to raise money for a good cause. I just don't see why they have to break the law to do it. Why do it anyway? Surly the article would have been better if the net that was used was just shown as an example of how it used to be. The use of a new 'approved' net would not have detracted from the experience and been an opportunity to educate as well. The fact that the use of the net was not mentioned was, I think, a mistake.

You can't have a set of rules for some and not for others. I think it is misleading if they are flouted in public by anglers that should know better.

Whether the net is used regularly or not, the article in AT makes it look as if he does...

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And I use to watch Glen Cornick playing in another band at the Crown and Sceptre in Streatham, the combined aroma of lager, dope and petulia is a memory of living in the past.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Well, What do you know, it looks like that net is legal. I am amazed AT did not make more of it. The story of that net would make a feature on its own. I contacted Martin Bowler and he explained that the net was made by Edward Barder. It uses a moderm look-alike mesh that is not actually knotted. Look at THIS, you will not believe how much it cost :eek:

Ralph.

thecrow

Reaction score
you will not believe how much it cost

WHAT? ridiculous same as their wooden rods that have to be turned upside down if a big fish is hooked to prevent the rod taking on a permanent bend, one born every minute I guess.

Barder are so far in the past they think the Barbel record is still 18 - 06

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
WHAT? ridiculous same as their wooden rods that have to be turned upside down if a big fish is hooked to prevent the rod taking on a permanent bend, one born every minute I guess.

Barder are so far in the past they think the Barbel record is still 18 - 06

I thought you would like that :D I must admit I am amazed people are that gullible. I get the collectors looking for the real thing, not for me but I can understand it. Anyone spending that kind of money on a reproduction net really must have either more money than sense or just be insane.

Ralph.