Float "adapters"

sheffields12

Reaction score
Do any of you use float adapters?

Sometimes I like to change my float and try other things as I'm still new to fishing. However, it's a bit of a ball ache having to un-do all of my rig and start it all up again.

I've heard of float adapters, but can never seem to find any in the shop. When looking online there are so many different variants, I've no idea what I'm after!

I tend to use Waglers, i have loaded ones and unloaded. I don't fish with too heavy line, 4lb and 6lb.

Any help appreciated!

chrissh

Reaction score
I use 2 types the silicon ones that you lock in place with a shot either side or the fixed ones

The silicon ones I use the on rivers with waggler and shot the line to suit the float

The fixed ones are locked to the line with 2 rubber tubes, I use with loaded or pellet waggler’s the don’t move as much as the silicon when using a heavier float or on a long cast on commercials

Silicon 10 X SILICONE QUICK CHANGE RUBBER FLOAT ADAPTORS (CLEAR) | eBay

Fixed Korum Quickchange Float Adaptor

fishplate42

Reaction score
^^^ What chrissh said.

I was about to say the same. I use those silicone adapters on wagglers and the like, they grip the float stem very well. In fact some floats, like the Drennan Antennas don't have a hole in them for the line to pass and you have to use an adaptor. I also use what Drennan call Grippa stops instead of shot to hold the adaptor in position. These can't fall off and will not damage the line. There are plenty of them on eBay both rugby ball shape and sausage shaped.

The other quick change adaptors, like the Korum ones, are also available from several makers. I have some with metal rods and some with plastic rods so I can control the weight if required. I tend to use these for pellet waggling, if that is the correct term.

Ralph.

sheffields12

Reaction score
I use 2 types the silicon ones that you lock in place with a shot either side or the fixed ones

The silicon ones I use the on rivers with waggler and shot the line to suit the float

The fixed ones are locked to the line with 2 rubber tubes, I use with loaded or pellet waggler’s the don’t move as much as the silicon when using a heavier float or on a long cast on commercials

Silicon 10 X SILICONE QUICK CHANGE RUBBER FLOAT ADAPTORS (CLEAR) | eBay

Fixed Korum Quickchange Float Adaptor

Thanks guys.

the Fixed ones, how do they stay in the correct position on the line? May seem a daft question, but it looks like it can just slide around?!

the silicone ones are what I've seen, so i think I'll have to invest in some of those deffo.

chrissh

Reaction score
The fixed ones are fix to the line with 2 rubber tubes which the line parses thought the centre. Put one each side of the float adaptor slide over a tapered pins each side of the adaptor to hold in place. They can be move up or down to the required depth

sam vimes

Reaction score
Drennan do a couple of variations. The ubiquitous silicon sleeve with swivel is just fine. They also do a variation on the theme. It works well, for a time, but the sleeve seems to split after a period of repeated casting.

In fact some floats, like the Drennan Antennas don't have a hole in them for the line to pass and you have to use an adaptor.

Chances are that there is a loop in there somewhere. In the last twenty to thirty years, I've not encountered a Drennan float that didn't have a hole. However, many of the painted floats are dip painted and the hole gets covered. A pin will reveal all, but it's no bad thing to leave them alone and use an adaptor.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be a little wary of all types of float adaptor. They all add weight which has to be detracted from the floats shotting capacity. The bigger and heavier they are the more of an issue this is. It can be particularly problematical with loaded floats. I've had more than the odd loaded float that will be overshotted just by using one of the bigger float adaptors.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For close in fishing with fine lines I've always used Drennan Float Adaptors (see Sam Vimes 'variation on a theme' above) which I find excellent. I make all my own floats so I build in cane pegs into the base of most floats which suit the Drennan Adaptors perfectly. Almost zero weight as well!
Yes, I agree the short lengths of silicon tube can split with constant and distant casting where the sleeve is under pressure, but then I don't use them for this purpose....

I managed to obtain the spec for the silicon tube from Drennan and bought a metre on line so I keep a dozen or so cut up lengths in the tackle box. Works for me...

Big waggler fishing - a different matter entirely!

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
For close in fishing with fine lines I've always used Drennan Float Adaptors (see Sam Vimes 'variation on a theme' above) which I find excellent. I make all my own floats so I build in cane pegs into the base of most floats which suit the Drennan Adaptors perfectly. Almost zero weight as well!
Yes, I agree the short lengths of silicon tube can split with constant and distant casting where the sleeve is under pressure, but then I don't use them for this purpose....

Have also used the Drennan Float adaptors for years & find them excellent. Sometimes use the the silicon tubes with the swivel on the end with float stops to make the float semi loaded. Both methods make it easy for me to finely adjust the depth.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The Drennan Adaptors will allow the sliding of the float up the line, BUT I suggest a wipe of saliva before you do so particularly with fine lines, although this applies to the sliding of anything up the line!!!

In the past when hemp fishing close in, I have tightened to the adaptor (with rod tip under the water) and used a sideways strike (or 'pull') to connect with finicky fish to great affect. Seems to offer a more 'direct' contact with float base, if you will....

john step

Reaction score
I got taken to task in a humorous way by Chef when he was posting regarding the Drennan type float stops.
I pointed out that as a tight wad you could cut the line on packing up and put a loop above and below the the adaptor and stops and store them until next time.

Just put the line though a loop and pull the lot onto the line and away you go.

Well crikey..they are over a £1 a packet:wh

mikench

Reaction score
John I am an honary Yorkshireman and there are not many!:) I love Yorkshire and married a Yorkshire lass!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer the drennan ones with the swivel in Sams link or you can get identical unnamed ones for a little cheaper. You could make your own easy enough if you wanted.