Lasso gauge - I don't get it...

fishplate42

Reaction score
33607532462_075ce8fcb3_c.jpg

Gizmo Angling Ltd are probably best known for their hook tier. Like it or hate it, you can't deny it is a well though out piece of kit that a lot of anglers think very highly of - me included.

Recently, Gizmo have introduced a lasso tying jig. I have to admit I have never used a lasso but I understand the basic idea. Along with the jig, there is a sizing tool, see HERE.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would you need to set the loop to a specific size? Surly it needs to be bigger than the pellet and then it can just be pulled tight.

I must be missing something here as there are lots of people raving about it. I am not knocking this tool, just curious as to its worth.

Ralph.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My initial thoughts are the same as yours Ralph. They'll be selling neck ties next with a Gizmo logo, available in various neck sizes.:)

john step

Reaction score
How on earth have we managed without these things for so long:wh

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am pleased it is not just me, however I have had it explained to me and it now makes perfect sense...

Ralph.

rayner

Reaction score
Hook tying devices have progressed no end if you listen to manufacturers.
My opinion is they are very good if you are useless with you hands.
Personally I reckon there's no better way than tying any hooks with your fingers.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Spill the beans then...

Oh!, I thought I was the only that did not know...

...apparently, the idea is you tie the lasso in the line, gauge it to the required size using the tool and then tie the hair onto the hook by hand with the lasso at the desired distance from the hook. If any-old size lasso was tied the pellet would be at different distances from the hook as the lasso was tightened.

Ralph

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Hook tying devices have progressed no end if you listen to manufacturers.
My opinion is they are very good if you are useless with you hands.
Personally I reckon there's no better way than tying any hooks with your fingers.

This is not a hook-tying device, it is a gauge to produce lassos to match the pellets used. I have no idea if this is a useful tool or not, I was just wondering what it was supposed to do.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
The first device pictured certainly is an hook tyer.

Yes, but if you read my post, you will see I wasn't talking about the tier. I supplied a link to the tool on their website. The lasso tool is made by the same people, I used the illustration to clarify what company I was referring to as there has been a lot of talk about Gizmo recently referring to their hook tier.

I still am :)

It gauges the size of the lasso before it is tied to the hook.

Ralph.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use lassoes a lot and I size them by using a pellet of the correct size. I use three sizes, 4, 6 and 8mm I have one of each in my hook tieing kit and to stop any smells, etc I have soaked them in super glue.

I can see that the gizmo gauge is less fiddly to hold than a small pellet.

rayner

Reaction score
This is not a hook-tying device, it is a gauge to produce lassos to match the pellets used. I have no idea if this is a useful tool or not, I was just wondering what it was supposed to do.

Ralph.

I never open any links, ever.
The fact doesn't alter, why would you need a gadget to tie a simple knot.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I never open any links, ever.
The fact doesn't alter, why would you need a gadget to tie a simple knot.

Your first sentence says it all really - we were not talking about tying anything - I give up :confused:

Ralph.

thecrow

Reaction score
Maybe if someone can explain what the "lasso" is used for some of us might have a better idea of why the lasso needs to be a certain size and the usefulness of this gadget or not.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Just googled it and found its something I have been doing for years and have never found the need to tie a lasso to fit a pellet of a certain size, doesn't a lasso pull down tight onto any size pellet?

I don't know how much this gadget is but I reckon its just another way to get anglers to spend on totally uneeded equipment. There is a method of putting a pellet onto a hair that is just as good but faster.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Maybe if someone can explain what the "lasso" is used for some of us might have a better idea of why the lasso needs to be a certain size and the usefulness of this gadget or not.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Just googled it and found its something I have been doing for years and have never found the need to tie a lasso to fit a pellet of a certain size, doesn't a lasso pull down tight onto any size pellet?

I don't know how much this gadget is but I reckon its just another way to get anglers to spend on totally uneeded equipment. There is a method of putting a pellet onto a hair that is just as good but faster.

Okay, first of all I started this post because I did not understand why you would need to gauge the size of the lasso. I now understand that it is all about how far the pellet ends up from the hook after the lasso is tightened.

Apparently the idea is a lasso is tied in the end of a length of line. The size of the lasso's loop is gauged by the sizing tool. The lasso is then tied as a hair to an eyed hook with a knotless-knot at the required distance from the hook. As I understand it, when the lasso is tightened the pellet will be in the required position. If the loop is not gauged, and say bigger, when the lasso is tightened the pellet will end up to far away from the hook. The converse is also true if the lasso's loop is too small, always assuming you can get the pellet in it in the first place.

As I said in my first post, I have never tied a lasso in my life and have no idea if this is a good idea or not. I was just curious to what it does. After posting my original post, I was give an explanation of how it is used from another source. I then assumed that everybody else knew what it was for, the maker seemed to think they do, as no explanation was given to its use other that it was for "gauging the size of lassos".

Ralph.

thecrow

Reaction score
Okay, first of all I started this post because I did not understand why you would need to gauge the size of the lasso. I now understand that it is all about how far the pellet ends up from the hook after the lasso is tightened.

I first used this method to secure pop ups to a hair so that I didn't have to make a hole in them, I used it on pellets later on, it doesn't matter how big the pop up or pellet was as to shorten the hair I wound it around the hook shank a few times lengthening was the reverse, the fish really don't mind this.

flightliner

Reaction score
A rubber band, two lollipop sticks and a bent nail is all it takes to tie a hook.!
Right, back to the workshop to sort out a lasso tyer !.

Last edited: