Polarised lenses

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of treating myself to a pair of prescription polarised sunglasses. I wear varifocals for day to day stuff and would like to replicate them, going to be expensive I know but I don't really care for the clip ons I've been using to date for fishing.

My preference has always been for a green tint but wondering if grey or brown would be better for looking into rivers?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't know about prescription glasses but for normal Polaroids amber seems to cover most conditions well...............

fishplate42

Reaction score
My preference has always been for a green tint but wondering if grey or brown would be better for looking into rivers?

Surely it depends on what colour landing net and rod you are useing...

Joking aside, I have been thinking about getting some prescription polarised glasses, but I am thinking that bifocals might suit me better. I bought a pair of standard polarised sun glasses that have a small magnifier inserted. These would be prefect if the main lens was my distance prescription. I use varifocals for every-day use but they drive me nuts having to keep lifting or lowering my head to get stuff in focus at the bank - or on the computer for that matter.

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Weird isn't it, I have no trouble at all with varifocals. Just need a tint to sort out them chub, I'll pay extra for a barbel tint.

mikench

Reaction score
I recently needed new glasses and bought a pair of sunglasses with prescription polarised lenses in a grey tint. They are great and I use them for driving, fishing and all outdoor activities. The only downside to polarised lenses is that the screen on my satnav is distorted when wearing them!

I have a normal pair of glasses as well but two pairs of glasses are two pairs too many:(

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about prescription glasses but for normal Polaroids amber seems to cover most conditions well...............

Amber isn't a likely option, most probably a choice of green or brown, guess the latter will be the best choice?

rayner

Reaction score
I use polarised prescription specs with a brown tint, they're great. Use them whatever the weather.

B

binka

I don't know how specific lense colour is to an individual's eyesight and the variables of changing conditions but I've always gone for brown and find them very good across the range.

I did have some grey looking lenses and for me they were probably around 70% as good as the brown.

geoffw

Reaction score
I wear varifocals all the time and a couple of years ago got a pair with polarised and photochromic combined lenses they are great for fishing.
They were from Specsavers

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the grey lenses are for brighter sunshine.
I got a couple of pairs of sunglasses from Aldi a few weeks back, just to wear on the pushbike. They seem ok but i'm not sure if they're polarised or just to filter out the UV.
They where cheap enough at £1.99 a pair.

Reaction score
Been wearing polarised prescription sunglasses for my last three prescriptions,I also treated myself to those expensive ones that Bob Roberts recommended,I cannot say they were any better,amber are best for low light levels,grey and brown are better for bright sunshine,I wouldn't be without a pair,for driving,or fishing.:)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I use Optilabs sunglasses. They are the best I have used. They do Transitions Driveaware lenses and they change colour as well as tint.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I wear varifocals all the time and a couple of years ago got a pair with polarised and photochromic combined lenses they are great for fishing.
They were from Specsavers

Seems like that is where my next pair of specs is comming from then just what i want .
Are you lenses Visable Light Level sensed or UV sensed the last pair of photochromic things i had were UV and were totally useless i need actual light level control .

PG ...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Seems like that is where my next pair of specs is comming from then just what i want .

Are you lenses Visable Light Level sensed or UV sensed the last pair of photochromic things i had were UV and were totally useless i need actual light level control .

PG ...

The Optilabs Driveaware lenses sense both and change behind glass which the UV one's don't. They are available as Varifocal, I have a pair. It's worth a look on their website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rather fancied these, just priced a pair on their website.......£600:eek:

Think I'll have to pass on them.

geoffw

Reaction score
I believe that mine are controlled by the actual light and not UV.
A call to Specsavers will confirm.
The only downside is that the polarised element affects the clarity of some instuments in the car.

From memory, they were about £200 - certainly nowhere near £600

PG ...

Last edited: