Perfect hemp.

dicky123

Reaction score
For years I've used hemp and never really got the cooking right, until now.

Place two pints of hemp in a plastic microwaveable container, cover with water, then cover. Microwave on full power for 20 minutes. Put container outside overnight, to save smelling the kitchen out. Next day repeat with another 20 minutes on full.

Leave to cool. Almost every piece will have opened. I use a bowl and cover with cling film making a small hole for the steam to escape.

Never had my hemp been as good, perfect. I then add a tea spoonful of hemp oil for each pint.

Hope it helps those that do struggle as I did. Hope it helps.

****y.

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks ****y, I have hemp on my to try list for this year. I bought a tin the other week but couldn't get any to stay on the hook, turned out to be good loose feed with maggot on the hook.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I haven't tried microwaving, so will give it a try. Mind you, 40mins on full power means it needs to work!
Definitely a 'wife away for the day' sort of job!!

mikench

Reaction score
I might try that ****y with some of that giant hemp! Have you tried the giant stuff?

Does the hemp not boil over or do you watch it for the 20 min intervals?

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
how much are you doing at a time...sounds good for doing small batches prior to a match.

that's if I can find some decent raw stuff

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
An alternative method from Haith's site:

1.Soak hempseed for 12-24 hours - depending on size
2. Transfer seed and water to large saucepan.
3. Bring water to boil.
4. Transfer to large sealable bucket.
5. Place lid on bucket and allow to cool.
6. Seed is ready for use as soon as water is cool.
7. Strain, or use straight from the bucket.

dicky123

Reaction score
Rich66, you have to take it out of the tin first, then it may stay on the hook?:D

No need to watch it if you cover it with cling film as I mentioned. Just put a tiny hole in the film for the steam to escape. The cling film seals it to the side of the bowl if it's plastic.

It's 20 minutes in two goes not 40 minutes in one.

No soaking, the soaking comes overnight after the first 20 min blast. Just leave it outside than next day 20 minutes again. Leave it to cool as it will continue to cook after its out of the microwave.

I did some today about 3 pints, all perfect. Never been that good another other way.