Borehole assistance ?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all .

Does anyone on here have any ideas if there are any grants available to assist in the drilling of an borehole .

The club i am chair of is a small club with a small membership our pool is around 1/2 an acre our feed is a small spring that was brought to the poool by a pipeline this has collapsed and the spring is getting smaller and smaller all the time we now have the situation where we are almost 18 inches low on water with little prospect of the trust that owns the pipe being bothered enough to repair or replace it we need an alternative source of water .
The cost of a bore hole is circa £15,000 plus running hence we need to find if there are any grants available .

I ask on here because i know there are several on here with the right knowldge .

Thanks

PG ...

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Might be cheaper to offer to repair the pipe.

Yep been there we are dealing with a group of people that think anyone that does not charge stupid money and have a big national company is completely incapable of doing a job .

Stupid but that is what they are like morons is one that fits well .
I have now got a pump in one of the sand traps and pumping the water around the broken pipe sections so a slight improvment .

PG ...

B

binka

It's probably a bit of a long shot but would it be worth looking into whether or not the owner of the pipe is under any obligation to maintain it?

I know there are rules about watercourses but I'm not sure if your pool would form part of one.

If the club's a member of the Angling Trust I would imagine that kind of advice would be readily available or failing that the EA although I wouldn't hold much hope in the latter.

Either way I hope you find an effective and permanent solution, lack of water is definitely not a good thing where fish are concerned.

The bad one

Reaction score
MD I don't think there is, but I may be wrong. I think you might run into problems with the EA and having to pay for abstraction rights to the water you take out of the borehole.
You may have to have an Hydrological impact survey and statement done if the area suffers water stress.
Best thing to do is talk to the local EA who dole out abstraction permits and see what they say.

mikench

Reaction score
MD if your club owns the pool or has a long lease of it, that ownership may come with rights and easements ie a right to the free running of the water supply!

If the broken pipe prevents that, the landowner of the adjoining land and thus the pipe, may be responsible for maintaining it.

It may also be worth arguing that the adjoining landowner is responsible( he may not know one way or the other) and that the club are pursuing legal advice but are willing to pay for /contribute to the cost of repair if it is dealt with pronto!

Worth checking!

iain t

Reaction score
I know our club got a lottery grant to refurbish 2 of our ponds years back. You can see a full detailed refurb with pictures is you look up Stemps and Cart ponds on Bognor and Petworth angling club website. I think if you want £10000 you have to raise at least half to receive the grant. As far as i know, you do not have to pay the grant back You will have to check with the Lottery grants.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I know our club got a lottery grant to refurbish 2 of our ponds years back. You can see a full detailed refurb with pictures is you look up Stemps and Cart ponds on Bognor and Petworth angling club website. I think if you want £10000 you have to raise at least half to receive the grant. As far as i know, you do not have to pay the grant back You will have to check with the Lottery grants.

OK thanks will have to look into that .. been a bit tommy cotton for a few days so not kept up . cheers ..

PG ...

rich66

Reaction score
Hopefully you can get something from them, my old bowls club got a huge grant from sport England and the lottery for a new pavilion.
In fact wonder if either of them may help too.